811 aspect modes?

Jerry G

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2003
Someone posted on DBS Talk that he's finding only two aspect modes on the 811.

With the 6000, you had five aspect modes when set to HD and two modes when set to SD. The 811 outputs HD and SD simultaneously, so how does it know whether to have two or five. This is something I hadn't thought of with the 811.

Dish must provide those five modes when outputting HD if it is to have the same functionality (with regard to aspect modes) as the 6000.

Scott G, you've played with the 811. What aspect modes did you find on the 811?

I don't have my 811 yet. (I hope to have it tommorow... although I probably wont get to play with it until Thursday night.)

I am Surprised to hear the 811 does not have Dish Home yet, since it is an OpenTV based receiver.

Wait until later in the week... the person who posted this information had just taken it out of the box and it wasn't even activated yet...

Chris

Cyclone said:
I guess nobody had yet realized that the 811 is not the 6000.

Duh! Not very helpful!!!

Yes, it's true that the 811 is NOT a 6000. But it's reasonable to expect not to lose functionality when the 811 is compared to the 6000. Would you agree with that assumption or would you like to present your arguments that assert that it's reasonable to expect the 811 to lose functionality when compared to the 6000? Sheesh!!!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Wait til the guy activates the unit and takes the software update on Thursday. :)

My 811 is arriving tomorrow (Wed). I'll obviously be checking this out when I set it up in the evening.

Scott Greczkowski said:
Wait til the guy activates the unit and takes the software update on Thursday. :)

I set up my 811 last night. I can confirm, as can tech support, that there are only two aspect modes. A future software update will allow the 5 modes we currently have on the 6000.

Additionally, using component 480p output (and perhaps also with 720 and 1080 output, which I didn't test), if I center the picture with an HD channel, the picture is way off center when I tune to an SD channel.

Also, no IR for the 811. You cannot transfer codes to a universal remote. The 811 itself is only controllable with the UHF remote. I'm very disappointed. I'm now concerned the same will apply to the 921. Scott, can you confirm this?

The 811 is supposed to be IR/UHF.

This was also mentioned on the last tech chat, I guess they tried one time releasing a UHF only remote and got a lot of flack.

Jerry G said:
I set up my 811 last night. I can confirm, as can tech support, that there are only two aspect modes. A future software update will allow the 5 modes we currently have on the 6000.

Additionally, using component 480p output (and perhaps also with 720 and 1080 output, which I didn't test), if I center the picture with an HD channel, the picture is way off center when I tune to an SD channel.

Also, no IR for the 811. You cannot transfer codes to a universal remote. The 811 itself is only controllable with the UHF remote. I'm very disappointed. I'm now concerned the same will apply to the 921. Scott, can you confirm this?

Can anyone else confirm this. Having only two aspect modes is not acceptable. My wife will not watch a zoomed image and I'm not going to let her burnin my RPTV with black bars.

Also if it is UHF only that is a no go in itself! I would have thought Dish would have learned that with all the calls they received when they screwed up the IR on the 6000 in one of the software releases and people with universal remotes and Tivo's lost control of the 6000.

Just when I think Dish is about to get it right I'm brought back to reality!

I guess I might be cancelling my 811 order today...

The spec sheet says the Remote is UHF, but will control other components via infrared. The front panel features says IR sensor/IR blast emitter. The TiVo will work.

I just got off the phone with tech suport and they confirmed that it IS like the 6000 and it will accept IR commands.

I don't get mine till Saturday.

So who is right?

It has IR, am installing OTA now so will report back on remote integration later today

dmodemd said:
Does it accept the same IR codes as the 6000 or do we need to reprogram??

Interesting thought. The 811 remote will not emit any IR for functions specific to the 811. I tried to program my universal remote and it didn't "see" any IR for the 811 functions. It did see and learn the mute button which makes sense as the mute would control the TV's volume and has nothing to do with the 811.

Later I'll set my 6000's remote to the same code as the 811 and see if the 811 will respond to the 6000 remote. It would be great if it did, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wonderif this has to do anything with the new remote being 200ft range. Mabe having a IR&UHF output at the same time with this new technology screws it up. Just a thought.

Jerry G said:
dmodemd said:
Does it accept the same IR codes as the 6000 or do we need to reprogram??

Interesting thought. The 811 remote will not emit any IR for functions specific to the 811. I tried to program my universal remote and it didn't "see" any IR for the 811 functions. It did see and learn the mute button which makes sense as the mute would control the TV's volume and has nothing to do with the 811.

Later I'll set my 6000's remote to the same code as the 811 and see if the 811 will respond to the 6000 remote. It would be great if it did, but I'm not holding my breath.

OK. I was able to control the 811 using the IR from my 6000's remote.

Jerry G said:
Cyclone said:
I guess nobody had yet realized that the 811 is not the 6000.

Duh! Not very helpful!!!

Yes, it's true that the 811 is NOT a 6000. But it's reasonable to expect not to lose functionality when the 811 is compared to the 6000. Would you agree with that assumption or would you like to present your arguments that assert that it's reasonable to expect the 811 to lose functionality when compared to the 6000? Sheesh!!!

The 501 and 721 were supposed to "replace" the Dishplayer and offered less functionality (no internet access). So there is a precedence for getting less when you upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)