Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2003
Getting my 811 in a couple of weeks. Will hook up as follows:

Video to TV using DVI
Audio to TV using RCA Phono for sound for normal TV viewing
Audio to Denon 1804 using optical for movies and special programs

Questions..

Do I need to do anything to the 811 besides muting the TV sound when I use the Denon?

The optical cable needs to be around 12 ft. Will that cause a problem?

Any other potential problems I should be aware of?

Thanks

lborges said:
Getting my 811 in a couple of weeks. Will hook up as follows:

Do I need to do anything to the 811 besides muting the TV sound when I use the Denon?

Which Denon sound system do you have, make sure you go through your setup menu's on your Denon, to tell it your 811 (SAT) is running to OPTI1, OPTI2, etc...(if you have options, some do some don't) I've seen a lot of people have problems, and they didn't know they had to do that. Also some Surround Sound Systems don't have the option for Optical connection under the Sat Source. Here is a section from my Surround receivers (RCA RT2600) manual.
The receiver will keep the last selection in memory.
SOURCE
SAT Analog / Optical / Optical2 (RT2600 only) / Coaxial
DVD Analog / Optical / Optical2 (RT2600 only) / Coaxial
CD Analog / Optical / Optical2 (RT2600 only) / Coaxial
VCR Analog / - / -
V-Aux Analog / - / -
TAPE Analog / - / -
TV Analog / Optical / Optical2 (RT2600 only) / -

Notice only SAT, DVD, TV, CD have a option for Digital. Yours may not allow Digital under certain sources. In other words you may have to change it to DVD so that you can play DD.

The optical cable needs to be around 12 ft. Will that cause a problem?[/QUOTE]

I don't know that you could find one that long. Let alone have problems with it, if you can find one, it will be expensive.

Any other potential problems I should be aware of?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Denon model is 1804

Default settings are: Opt 1 - DVD, Opt 2 - TV/DBS, Opt 3 - CDR/Tape
12 foot Optical Cable is Dayton from Parts Express. Cost is a little less than $13

My basic concern is not the Denon but the 811 itself. Can it send audio to both the TV and Denon at the same time without having to be manually switched?

The 811 pluged directly to the 1804 would be my first choice, however I have been reading the the component video bandwith on the Denon is only 30 Mhz and is enough for DVD but too low for HD. I cannot say one way or another and have not talked to anyone that has an 1804

I meant the Audio... you said that you would listen to Audio on the Denon for movies and special programs... why not all the time?

Understood... I took care of that with a good programmable remote. The power button on my remote has been programmed to turn the TV on, switch to the right component input, turn the 811 on, turn the Sony rcv on. The channel buttons on the remote are mapped to the 811, volume to the sony. The wife and kids don't need to know anything about how it works, just that it does.

I would recommend the 8810w One-for-all that is $20 bucks at walmart.

snathanb said:
I meant the Audio... you said that you would listen to Audio on the Denon for movies and special programs... why not all the time?

Actually I only use my "big system" for PPVs, DVDs, or other special movies. Hearing CNN Headline News (and most other "normal" shows, even something like CSI ...) in surround sound is kinda pointless, IMHO.

That's just my pref. As using your system is yours. Different strokes for different folks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts