811 dark image software update

M

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2003
195
0
Could it be that we are all getting the same picture but see it differently? I, too, could adjust my set to compensate for it, but it really makes my 510 too bright. I have noticed that if the sceen being shown is in bright colors, the picture looks fine. It is only when the amount of "dark" colors starts to outnumber the bright colors, then the whole screen gets darker. It's like and outside in daylight sceen is fine, but indoors, say like the boathouse sceeen with Michael and Connie from the GodfatherII, it is almost unwatchable. Someone mentioned when the 811 first came out it was a Black Level thing or something. I just wish they would fix it.
 
K

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2003
216
0
The blacks are crushed and no amount of gamma or contrast or brightness adjustment will fix it satisfactorily. If you do adjust the display to the 811 s-video, then when you switch to a DVD with its normal s-video levels, the TV will be way overbright and washed out. This is very aggravating and really ridiculous.

Why sell a HD box with bad picture quality? Having the program guide at 2 hours rather than 2 days is an annoyance, but the whole reason for getting the 811 is to get good picture quality. Dish really messed up with the 811. Still waiting here for the next software release. If it doesn't fix the video quality, I am getting rid of the 811 and maybe getting rid of Dish too.

Keith.
 
W

wiggy

Member
Nov 7, 2003
11
0
Dark Video

I have a toshiba direct view with DVI. It allows me to change TV setting per output. DVI,Component 1, Component 2, SVideo etc. My DVD is component input and my 811 is DVI. Previously with my 6000 the settings with the DVD and the 6000 were similar on seperate component inputs. Since I have the 811 I have had to increase the brightness and color a lot to get a picture that is OK. The 811 is definitely a lot darker than the 6000 or 301. Dish is admitting there is a problem or they wouldn't have a software upgrade in progress. The problem isn't only S video or other analog. Wiggy
 
bryan92

bryan92

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 31, 2003
254
0
Statesboro, Ga
As I was reading yall's comments it made me think that maybe my s-video, since it is on a different port , is not working as I think . Maybe I only watch via the composite. When I get home I'll switch inputs to the one that is s-video and let you know if its dark.
 
B

bytre

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 16, 2003
159
0
I just got a LAD 811, and the picture is not dark out of the component outputs.
 
MikeD-C05

MikeD-C05

Pub Member / Supporter
Pub Member / Supporter
Nov 25, 2003
27,025
17,727
Nederland , Texas
Re: Dark Video

The 811 is definitely a lot darker than the 6000 or 301. Dish is admitting there is a problem or they wouldn't have a software upgrade in progress. The problem isn't only S video or other analog. Wiggy[/quote]



I 'm just curious , will a software update really fix a dark picture? I'm no electronic whiz but I would think that the color is dark due to the box hardware or decoder , not the software. Can someone explain this to me and how software can fix the picture darkness?
 
rad

rad

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 7, 2003
10,662
4,347
Dripping Springs, TX
bytre said:
I just got a LAD 811, and the picture is not dark out of the component outputs.

OK, it sounds like there's a different hardware build out there that doesn't have the dark picture problem.
 
ROLLTIDE

ROLLTIDE

SatelliteGuys Pro
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
1,222
79
Mobile,AL
rad said:
bytre said:
I just got a LAD 811, and the picture is not dark out of the component outputs.

OK, it sounds like there's a different hardware build out there that doesn't have the dark picture problem.

Can anyone confirm this ?
 
K

keith

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2003
216
0
I have thought that the s-video problem might not be possible to fix with a software update. If I can get confirmation, it's time to call a Dish CSR for a new 811 replacement that doesn't have the problem.

Keith.
 
normang

normang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
180
0
To clear up connections in my mind and to help y'all see my setup, The dvd is going to component input, and the 811 is connected to the DTV port( it says 480i, 480p, 1080i ) the s-video is connected to input 1 on a different side of the panel.

So when your watching something on the DTV input, which I assume is your component or DVI connection from the 811 and then switch your TV to S-Video output from the 811, on a dimly lit program scene, you cannot see a difference in brightness from one to the other?
 
normang

normang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
180
0
keith said:
I have thought that the s-video problem might not be possible to fix with a software update. If I can get confirmation, it's time to call a Dish CSR for a new 811 replacement that doesn't have the problem. Keith.

I am sure that video levels can be easily controlled by software. The question is can be balanced to each output, it probably depends on the hardware design..

Now the question is, based on the past view posts, is there a 811 with a different motherboard in it, that may resolve the dark video issue, is the LAB and LAD designations a difference in the hardware? Hopefully we'll get some information on that soon.
 
N

Nicu

SatelliteGuys Family
Dec 3, 2003
58
0
Today I received my replacement 811 from Dish, it's an LAD, my first 811 was an LAB. The LAD has the same very dark s-video output as the LAB. In fact the LAD has all the problems that my LAB had + the closed captions are even worse on the LAD. I'll return the LAD and keep the LAB.

Nicu
 
bryan92

bryan92

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 31, 2003
254
0
Statesboro, Ga
normang said:
To clear up connections in my mind and to help y'all see my setup, The dvd is going to component input, and the 811 is connected to the DTV port( it says 480i, 480p, 1080i ) the s-video is connected to input 1 on a different side of the panel.

So when your watching something on the DTV input, which I assume is your component or DVI connection from the 811 and then switch your TV to S-Video output from the 811, on a dimly lit program scene, you cannot see a difference in brightness from one to the other?

OK, I came home and switched inputs to Input 1 ( s-video ). I see now why everyone is complaining. I turned to some movie with Bruce Willis and Collin Ferrell and it was so dark that it was hard to see someone sitting or standing behind the actor that the camera was focused on. The area around the main actor was not as dark, however I switched back to DVI input and could tell a world of difference. I assume I can just disconnect that input ( I watch on the DVI port anyway ). I hope this helps someone see the problem. Is there anything else I can troubleshoot for anyone to help more? BTW I haven't switched back and forth between S-video and DVI before now. Everything is fine with the DVI so I had no reason to switch.
 
W

WeeJavaDude

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 25, 2003
766
0
SoCal
What is the difference between and LAD and LAB? is that a REV number? How does one know what they have? Is there one you should look to get if you have an option?
 
normang

normang

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 4, 2003
180
0
bryan92 said:
OK, I came home and switched inputs to Input 1 ( s-video ). I see now why everyone is complaining. I turned to some movie with Bruce Willis and Collin Ferrell and it was so dark that it was hard to see someone sitting or standing behind the actor that the camera was focused on. The area around the main actor was not as dark, however I switched back to DVI input and could tell a world of difference. I assume I can just disconnect that input ( I watch on the DVI port anyway ). I hope this helps someone see the problem. Is there anything else I can troubleshoot for anyone to help more? BTW I haven't switched back and forth between S-video and DVI before now. Everything is fine with the DVI so I had no reason to switch.

Bryan, for some people, switching is needed because of their TV, for example, mine is a 4:3 HDTV, if i watch SD via component (don't have DVI), the picture isn't bad, but its a 4:3 SD in a 16:9 window. So if I want SD full screen on my set, I switch to S-Video, which is dark as you noted when you made the switch.

If you feel motivated, lend your voice and call Dish about the dark video issue and see if they give you a timeline as to when they intend to release code to fix it..
 
M

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2003
195
0
I have had my 811 since the Saturday of the week they came out. I have waited patiently for the fix since I can watch another receiver. That ends today. I will be on the phone to E*** and let them know my feelings on this. I figure we have waited long enough.
 
M

MikeF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 2, 2003
195
0
I just hing up from a 3rd level tech at E***. I told him how I had wated patiently all this time for them to fix the darkness issue and that I would like to know what was being done about it. I also asked about the LABD - LADD thing. He didn't think that had anything to do with it but didn't answer my question if that was a hardware designation. He then told me that the darkness issue will be fixed with software 265. I also asked about the EPG and he told me that would be fixed with 264. I then asked WHEN. His answer was that E*** puts out new revisions "every few weeks" with new hardware. It should be within the next "6 to 8 weeks or so,,,,,or maybe a little more". So I guess I will wait awhile more. I am lucky that I can at least watch the DVI for HD and then swithch to my 510 for SD. I feel for you guys that don't have that option.
 
L

LeeS

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Jan 5, 2004
28
0
Portland, OR
MikeF,

Thanks for the update. Waiting patiently also. I don't seem to have the dark image problem for some reason. I've tried all four outputs too. Maybe the Faroudja in my projector is fixing things? Who knows. I'd love to see the guide working as well as my 501. No lockups since I turned the video off in the guide.

(and HI!)
Lee

I'm still at 263LADD
 
Satch0922

Satch0922

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Dec 23, 2003
30
0
Here is my experience. When using the component outputs to my Sony rear Kp57ws500 the SD channels were terrible. Blurry and dark. I ordered a DVI-D cable and now the SD channels look clearer and no issue with dark picture. THis is my second 811 and I don't have the version number with me.

Before using the DVI connect the SD channels were almost unwatchable. Now they are much better and some are very good (not HD good but you guys know what I mean).
 
B

BVH

New Member
Jan 25, 2004
2
0
Has anyone got any further info on when 264 and/or 265 will be out?
 

Similar threads

K
Replies
3
Views
1K
keith
K
sprinklerguy
Replies
16
Views
3K
hannonpi
H
Scott Greczkowski
Replies
149
Views
22K
tonyp56
tonyp56
R
Replies
1
Views
1K
ROLLTIDE
ROLLTIDE
S
Replies
132
Views
17K
luckycat
L
Top