811 dark image software update

grumpy1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 12, 2003
Last night I talked to Dish advanced technical support about the consistent dark image that my 811 produced no matter what type of connection [DVI, S-Video] that I used or what settings [contrast, black level] that I used on my Pioneer Elite. She said that this is a known issue on SOME 811s and that a software update will forthcoming in the NEAR future to correct the problem.

None of the 811's I have installed have this problem. I think you guys should ask for new receivers.

murf said:
None of the 811's I have installed have this problem. I think you guys should ask for new receivers.
Just got my 811 working today. No dark video on any output.

I was reading in here somewhere about ver 2.63. That is what is in my 811 now P263LADD-N Bootstrap 1010LADD.

The rest of the bugs you guys discuss are still in there.

Lee

LeeS said:
murf said:
Just got my 811 working today. No dark video on any input.

I was reading in here somewhere about ver 2.63. That is what is in my 811 now P263LADD-N Bootstrap 1010LADD.

Lee

My pic is dark. My software is:

P263LABD-N
Boot 1010LABD

Wonder what the difference is in the B and D version?

Here's what the guy at Dish just told me. I'm not infront of the unit so bear with the terminology.

MENU 612 (system upgrade)
Ensure 'without my permisson' is checked
SAVE
Turn unit off for 15-20 mins (I'd go for 30 based on past experience, maybe it will give a progress bar on the screen)

Unit should be upgraded.

Lee

gpflepsen said:
LeeS said:
murf said:
Just got my 811 working today. No dark video on any input.

Lee

My pic is dark. My software is:

P263LABD-N
Boot 1010LABD

Wonder what the difference is in the B and D version?

If there really is LAB and LAD versions, if I remember what the engineer told me, it was different versions of the hardware/motherboard. The subject came up when I said they shouldn't send out sofware with a version that has LAB in it, doesn't give you a warm feeling. He got a laugh out of it but I don't remember exactly what it specified but it did have something to do with the hardware. Hope that helps.

I'm soooo tired of explaing to the warden why I bought the 811 when I keep switching to my ota hd channels because the 811 is soo dark. I've decided to email every few days until something is resolved. If I tried to pass poor equiptment and service in my business I'd be belly up by now... Maybe 7 years is long enough of a relationship with dish,patience,I need more patience

Well mine is definitely dark on S-vid and DVI both. I in fact, watch most programming on my 510 while waiting for the fix. I will check the software version and compare it to LeeS's when I get home. I don't think it has been off for a few days so who knows.

Hi LeeS

I personally find it hard to beleive that anyone with an 811 does not have dark video on at least the S-Video and composite "outputs"

On some programs if you have the ability to switch from component to one of the other outputs on a dimly lit scene, you can see the difference, its obvious..

While I guess its always possible that a different generation of 811 motherboard is out there that compensates for the dark video problem, which could complicate the software because it would have to be able to determine which version of hardware its running on to set the video levels correctly.

However, patience can pay off.. I think we'll see some code that will resolve this issue soon.. (as well as the others, and create new problems for us to discuss.)

I do not have any of the dark issues, however my boss came in this morning and said his was so bad he could not watch it last night. I feel bad because I talked him into buying it.

bryan92 said:
I do not have any of the dark issues, however my boss came in this morning and said his was so bad he could not watch it last night. I feel bad because I talked him into buying it.

Bryan, how are you watching your 811? And how is your boss's connected? This problem near as I can tell does not affect every output, it seems to be primarily on the s-video and composite outputs. If you are using the component outputs exclusively, you may not be seeing the problem.

However I think that even the component (HD) outputs are not as bright as they could be or like my 6000.

bryan92 said:

Check your System Info screen and let us now which software and boot version you have running. I'd be interested is seeing what this LAB and LAD difference is.

I am sooo Lucky i dont have this dark problem!! I have an 811 with the P263LABD-N
Boot 1010LABD

I have DVI for tv and component for dvd.. I am interrested in this problem becuase alot of my family has seen my setup and wants to join dish for this and i dont want them mad at me..

My DVI and Component is not too bad. I did compensate with adjustment to the TV's inputs. I refuse to overcompensate the S-Video and Composite though.

My experience is the same as gpflepsen (i.e. component output is OK, but S video is dark) but I don't think it was that way at the start. I got my unit on Dec. 12, with software 2.61, and at that time I think all the outputs were dark, although true HD material from the satellite (such as Discovery HD) wasn't too bad. But later the component output seems to have been corrected, while the S-video output is still dark. Someone else on one of the topics on this forum noticed this as well and posted about it, saying that either version 2.62 or 2.63 seemed to correct the component outputs. I can toggle between the two and definitely see a visible difference in the darkness of the picture between the component and the S-video. My current version is 2.63LABD-N (Bootstrap version 1010LABD).

Depending on what I am watching I may use one input or the other, so I do hope that they eventually get this fixed.

gpflepsen said:
bryan92 said:

Check your System Info screen and let us now which software and boot version you have running. I'd be interested is seeing what this LAB and LAD difference is.

I will do the best I can to describe the set-up. No DVI connection because I don't have one. I have the s-video and, I get confused but composite run to the 1080 port on the tv. Both of these are hooked up and active( turned on ). My bosses is the same as mine and he did tell me this afternoon that his was mainly his OTA digital ( we only get one out of Savannah ) channel.

Software version P263LABD-N
Boot 1010LABD
To clear up connections in my mind and to help y'all see my setup, The dvd is going to component input, and the 811 is connected to the DTV port( it says 480i, 480p, 1080i ) the s-video is connected to input 1 on a different side of the panel.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts