811 Dead in the water? 3/4/04

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

f00b4r

Original poster
Dec 3, 2003
I have had my 811 up and running since Dec 8th or so without any issues. At some point yesterday my 811 decided to turn off (ie all lights on the front are dark) and it will not turn back on. I have tried unplugging it from the wall and back in again, but the power button on the front has no effect and the remote doesn't have an effect either.

I know a software update was sent down the other day, is any one else having trouble with their 811 dying? I am going to call dish when I get home later today and see what they can do for me.

Try holding the power button down for about 15 seconds and see if it will reset. If not

Someone else had a similar problem and posted yesterday or the day before that they disconnected the satellite cable, unplugged the receiver, waiting about 5 minutes, then hooked everything back up and the 811 fired up.

f00b4r said:
I have had my 811 up and running since Dec 8th or so without any issues. At some point yesterday my 811 decided to turn off (ie all lights on the front are dark) and it will not turn back on. I have tried unplugging it from the wall and back in again, but the power button on the front has no effect and the remote doesn't have an effect either.

I know a software update was sent down the other day, is any one else having trouble with their 811 dying? I am going to call dish when I get home later today and see what they can do for me.
Mine refused to power up after it's 264 upgrade... I tried all the normal methods... it finally started working after I pressed each of the buttons in the center of the receiver's front panel and then the power button... not sure if that did it or not...

Thanks for the advice guys, I didn't have much time to play with it this morning but I will mess around with it a bit later and post the results.

I was the one that posted a very similar problem.
And I found that disconnecting power for various
lengths of time was not helping. When I disconnected
the satellite feed, rather than the power cord, the
unit did start up again. But who knows if that was what
helped or if it was coincidence. :shrug:

I tried the holding power for 15 seconds but no go. Also tried hitting all the buttons. I disconnected all of the connections and tried the steps above again, and still no go. Odd that some of us are having problem after the update and others are fine. I will let the receiver rest for a bit and try again.

I left the receiver alone for a bit while plugged into AC power (but nothing else plugged in) then hit the power button and it came right on. The screen was downloading the new firmware (2 of 5). It finished pretty quickly and seems to be working fine now. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Hopefully next time they update the firmware it will go more smoothly.

I should point out that these problems started for me as part of the
263 roll out, not the 264. They've just continued (if not gotten worse)
with the 264 roll out.
At this point I'm very very used to hard booting my box on at least
a weekly basis.
Often my box croaks and stops responding to both power buttons,
the only thing *new* was the fact that pulling the power cord didn't
work this time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)