811 fixes/software releases

babakanoosh

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 3, 2004
I made one of my regular calls to Dish yesterday about 811 problems. I talked to an advanced tech who really tried to be helpful. Anyway, he said the 265 release is cancelled and the next release will be 266, no date. I specifically asked about the many OTA problems and he said he was told they would be included. I told him I had serious doubts that the "49%" problem was fixable in software but he agin said he was told it is.

Anyone have any more info along these lines?

babakanoosh said:
I made one of my regular calls to Dish yesterday about 811 problems. I talked to an advanced tech who really tried to be helpful. Anyway, he said the 265 release is cancelled and the next release will be 266, no date. I specifically asked about the many OTA problems and he said he was told they would be included. I told him I had serious doubts that the "49%" problem was fixable in software but he agin said he was told it is.

I am not a sw engineer, but I work with them and have some fundamental understanding of algorithms. Really you need the software to be able to lock within a reasonable time on a strong signal. Even if you have multipath issues, you can create algorithms to say, sniff the air for a couple of seconds, set a parameter for strength, then grab the next strong signal that meets that parameter and lock onto it AND reject other reflections, no matter how strong. The 811 now just can't seem to make up its mind on what to lock on.

When the 811 was first shipped, the SW was version 262. It didn't have the 49% problem. This problem surfaced with 263 and remained with 264. It can be fixed with a software revision.

So, in other words, the statement last week by an E* rep about there would be un update to fix the dark picture THIS week, was like most E* statements, either a gross miscalculation or an out right LIE.

MikeF said:
So, in other words, the statement last week by an E* rep about there would be un update to fix the dark picture THIS week, was like most E* statements, either a gross miscalculation or an out right LIE.

Look on the bright side. At least they released an update for the Model 2000 today!

MikeF said:

Software releases is never an exact science and having a release pushed out is common. However, I don't recall an official word from Dish that the reason would be this weeks. I do recall on the charlie chat that the reason was expected the end of March. That to me would be the earliest to expect it and most likely middle April. Software releases always slip. Software companies usually announced software updates in terms of a quarter rather than a month for this reason.

I do.....

WeeJavaDude said:
Software releases is never an exact science and having a release pushed out is common. However, I don't recall an official word from Dish that the reason would be this weeks. I do recall on the charlie chat that the reason was expected the end of March. That to me would be the earliest to expect it and most likely middle April. Software releases always slip. Software companies usually announced software updates in terms of a quarter rather than a month for this reason.
I DO recall Charlie saying that there would be a 265 release at the end of the month. If you do a search you will see.

Iceman said:
I DO recall Charlie saying that there would be a 265 release at the end of the month. If you do a search you will see.

Yes that was what I recall. I said reason when I meant release.

Expecting something this week is a bit early to start the ranting in my opinion.

Cheers!

babakanoosh said:

I wouldnt go as far as to say something isnt fixable with software. Do you have anything you can use to validate this statement?

Software can do a lot more than some people give credit to.

B

gpflepsen said:
Especially when a software update broke it. See my above post.

Considering the abount of software that runs the US Military, I think some TV channel mappings wouldnt be a problem. ;)

Actually, there was mentioned in the thread concerning the Retailer Chat about the update would be, now, last week and it did come as an answer to a question from the E* rep. I was not referring to anything Charlie said about end of the month. I know better than to believe anything taht comes from that source.
The thread is here : http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9303&page=2&pp=15

The post is refer to is this, halfway down page 2
Question when will the 811 have opentv?

There will be an upgrade next week which fixes some more bugs, and OpenTV should be available a month or so after that.

The date of the post was 3/9/04 so that would make LAST week the week referred to.

MikeF said:
Actually, there was mentioned in the thread concerning the Retailer Chat about the update would be, now, last week and it did come as an answer to a question from the E* rep. I was not referring to anything Charlie said about end of the month. I know better than to believe anything taht comes from that source.
The thread is here : http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=9303&page=2&pp=15

The post is refer to is this, halfway down page 2

The date of the post was 3/9/04 so that would make LAST week the week referred to.

Hmm interesting, but I doubt this information is accurate. This would make the releases too close together. I guess it all depends what channel of information you want to believe. If I recall the end of the month comment came from a question and answer period and was answered by a development manager. This is going by memory so I could be wrong.

In either case. Bottom line is it will get here when it it has been baked and is ready for release to the masses. I personally take all speculative dates with a grain of salt. Little more than a SWAG at a date and releasing software is extremely difficult to perdict without a lot of upfront analysis and strict monitoring and control.

Based on what I have seen, I don't believe Dish's software development is using strict upfront analysis and design. By the way, not all software development projects require this type of software methodology. There are some down sides to it... i.e. You want to add an enhancement that would really benefit the end user. Under strict development, this is a huge No No and does not happen.

babakanoosh said:

Yea....265 just downloaded today. Credible bunch arn't they ?

Walt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)