811 Latest Fixes?

JoeSp said:
Kevinw said:
The E* cable is cheap!! There is a marked differance between using a very good S-VHS cable and a cheap one. Especially on video.

And if you have to use S-VHS PLEASE throw away that dish cable--its junk!! Spend about $40 for a good S-VHS cable...go to the SHACK and get one. Your picture will improve greatly.

$40 for an S-Video cable???? That better come with a massage or a pair of Levi's or something.

I spoke to soon about the dark picture. :eek: There is still a noticable difference with some channels, Nickelodeon in particular( Viacom sabatoge?) ;)

I might try running a DVD player through the 811 and try adjust the settings with AVIA. If that can not cure it then it is something in the box. I was really hoping to eliminate one box out of the loop. :(

JoeSp said:
Question?---Why are there folks here trying to use the 811 with a S-VHS cable? Why buy an 811 if you do not have an HDTV?

There's two reasons for me:

1) I've got a projector, which I use for watching HDTV, for SD programming, I just use a regular TV.

2) The S-Video goes from my 811 into my DVR/DVD recorder, meaning that if I want to archive something, the 811 doesn't really cut it.

Until they fix the 811, I've gone back to my old 4900 receiver.

Scott

I just installed Dish the other day with an 811. I get frequent audio and video lock ups where the picture just freezes and the audio goes away. It happens a lot on HBO HD. Tonight, while watching the Sopranos, it froze up on me 3 times. I have to change channels and then back again and it is then fine (until the next lock up). I had this happen on HDNET as well.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do you think this is an 811 issue or is it a programming issue? I have not yet had a lockup with my 522 box. Is there a fix for this problem?

JoeSp said:
Kevinw said:
Dark picture fixed. For some reason I had been using the DISH supplied S-Video cable with my 811. I have been using a Monster S-Vid* with the 301 or the 508. I swapped cables and both pictures are now equal as bright. The DISH supplied cable works fine with the 301. I wonder why this?

The E* cable is cheap!! There is a marked differance between using a very good S-VHS cable and a cheap one. Especially on video.

Question?---Why are there folks here trying to use the 811 with a S-VHS cable? Why buy an 811 if you do not have an HDTV?

If you have an HDTV why not use the componet input? I know there are at least two componet inputs on every HDTV manufactured in the last 4 years so the question begs again--why use S-VHS? Next to an RF cable S-VHS provides you with the worst possible picture!

Not only that--you can not transfer an HD signal completely over an S-VHS cable. You can only do that with three cables--Componet, Firewire, DVI. So, unless you are using the 811 to downrez and transfer a digital signal to a 480i picture to view on an anlog set you should not be using S-VHS.

And if you have to use S-VHS PLEASE throw away that dish cable--its junk!! Spend about $40 for a good S-VHS cable...go to the SHACK and get one. Your picture will improve greatly.
I have an HDTV but it's a 4:3 so watching through component will eventually give me burn in so I watch SD through s-vid. I purchased a higher quality s- vid cable but it did not improve the picture box issues or not.

Kevinw -- I can see why you and others use SVHS. I still believe that a better cable will improve your picture. As to the differance between the 811 and the other older receivers that has already been stated in other posts. The other units outputs were considered to be too bright. The 811's output is adjusted for HD output from different HD sources. When I first watched an OTA HD signal I was amazed by how sharp and defined the picture was. The colour was beautiful and I was very pleased except for one thing---the picture was darker than I was used to.

It took some studying and a few conversations with some ISF calibrationists in my area to understand about what I had determined was too dark viewing. Seems that the HD programing can be very bright but not as bright as in analog viewing. With more definition and more picture you do not need the same illuminace on an HD set viewing HD as you would need for viewing analog on analog set.

This could be the reason why the 811 has a brighter picture on its componet and DVI outputs than its SVHS. The SVHS signal luminace setting must need to be set higher than the HD outputs of the 811. The problem could be that there is not a differance in the settings between the SVHS and the other outputs. If this is the case then you might never see a brighter picture from the SVHS settings. Not saying that this is the case--I just conveying an idea here based on HD calibration information and what I have been following here on this site.

As for the problems of the 811---I have yet to read about any HD receiver by any company that does not have some problem. They all have their own quirks--and the quirks are slowly being worked out--the 811's included.

scott5626 said:
I have an HDTV but it's a 4:3 so watching through component will eventually give me burn in so I watch SD through s-vid. I purchased a higher quality s- vid cable but it did not improve the picture box issues or not.

Why would using the component input give you burn in? SD programming is also 4:3, so you would get a full screen image with no bars.

You should use a DVI or component cable for all of the programming on your 4:3 HDTV.

BTW, I use the DVI input for all programing on my 16:9 HDTV, using the 811's "partial zoom" mode for SD programming. It certainly looks better than using S-vid or composite, even when using the TV's superior-to-811 zoom settings.

HD or digital OTA are not the problem. The problem is that the 811 is lousy at displaying SD programming throught the S-vid. or composite outputs. Actually the HD pq is better than my previous OTA only tuner.
I would think that the 811 should have a PQ equal to any other DISH reciever when viewing DISH provide programming.

This is not an issue of the 811 having a brighter picture for HD. This is a direct comparison of SD programming between a 811 and a 301 or 508.

All my inputs are properly adjusted using an Avia disc for service mode adjustments as well as user controls. All red push has been eliminated, geometry and convergence set as well as grayscale calibrated.

It is not the TV, it is not the 301 or 508 having problems. It is the 811 improperly set for SD viewing. It can not be fixed by adjusting the contrast or brightness of your TV.
The only way I can describe it is as if I am watching the a dirty oil tinted window.

I think the crushed blacks also affect the clarity of the picture. Once it's fixed, 811 owners can set the levels properly and finally get decent pictures.

RJS said:
I think the crushed blacks also affect the clarity of the picture. Once it's fixed, 811 owners can set the levels properly and finally get decent pictures.
I agree. I think people will be suprised how good SD can look and it will only help the HD pq as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)