811 OTA HD Broadcast settings

sixbears

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 6, 2003
Wyoming, NY
I set the resolution on the 811 to 720p and my picture goes scrambled. Like seeing double except 3 images overlayed on each other. However when comparing the quality between 1080i & 480p I see no differance when viewing a FOX HD broadcast OTA. But I do see a differance when viewing the HD demo channel. Is this TV Type setting in the HDTV setup on the 811 only applicable to Satellite channels and not OTA channels?

I am only using the 811 for viewing OTA as I have cancelled my HDPak after a year until more compelling HD content comes along.

Most Rear Projection sets cannot Display 720P however most upconvert them to 1080i when presented with a 720p signal, you may have a setting in you tvs menu to take care of that. That does beg the question if your set displays 1080i & cannot show 720p in its native resolution why would you want to do so? There is also an adjustment in the 811 you might try, use the adjust feature in the HDTV Set up menu after you set it to 720p & see if that helps

My RPTV displays HD on the HD demo channel in 1080i, as it is the highest quality I have ever seen on the screen. However I only get it when the 811 is set to 1080i. However even with the 811 set to 480 I get over the air FOX sports in HD which I would judge to be 720.

I guess my basic question is, do I need to set the 811 to 1080i to display OTA 1080i broadcasts or will my TV adjust and display it automatically. Is the 811 TV Type setting only required for Satellite HD broadcasts?

Are there any 1080i OTA broadcasts coming soon to check this theory? Is there a site that actually shows what the resolution of a OTA HD broadcast is?

Ok I think I got this figured out.....The FOX broadcast was really in 480 and thats why I saw no differance when changing between 480 and 1080. I viewed a broadcast in 720 and tested it and the differance between 480 and 720 is small but noticable. It seems that the 811 TV type setting DOES make a differance in OTA HDTV broadcasts. Best to leave the 811 in whatever your monitor is capable of displaying otherwise you may not see the best it is capable of displaying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts