811 Reset - How many?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Baywoof

Original poster
Sep 13, 2003
It's time for folks to share bragging rights on how may times they've needed to reset their 811 receiver. I had an 811 receiver/Dish 500 upgrade installed 6 days ago and already I have needed to either perform a warm reset or cold reset (unplug power) 5 times. Most of the problems were loss of picture. I'm using OTA for digital/HD locals.

Baywoof said:
It's time for folks to share bragging rights on how may times they've needed to reset their 811 receiver. I had an 811 receiver/Dish 500 upgrade installed 6 days ago and already I have needed to either perform a warm reset or cold reset (unplug power) 5 times. Most of the problems were loss of picture. I'm using OTA for digital/HD locals.
I've only had to reset mine once in about three/four weeks.

I went from December to last month NEVER needing a reset. God's truth.

Then the guide got corrupted. Since then, it has needed a reset about once per week. But THREE times the past week. All guide corruption, never a sound/picture problem.

Have these people heard of error correction? Don't accept data that isn't clean ....

I actually have to reset mine a lot, but it is due to one bug where the 811 gets stuck in a loope acquiring guide info. This is the biggest bug for me because I hit it a lot. This usually happens when I hit the theme button. I am starting to thing this is a result of them remapping the video output in the back.

WeeJavaDude said:
I actually have to reset mine a lot, but it is due to one bug where the 811 gets stuck in a loope acquiring guide info. This is the biggest bug for me because I hit it a lot. This usually happens when I hit the theme button. I am starting to thing this is a result of them remapping the video output in the back.

It happens to me everytime I turn it on and hit guide. Sometimes it just downloads the info once but many times it loops several times.

waltinvt\ said:
It happens to me everytime I turn it on and hit guide. Sometimes it just downloads the info once but many times it loops several times.

This is something that was added with 2.65. Actually I believe something is getting corrupted because I see some strange things on guide channels. Also, I have seen when you get the the themes and you select a channel it jumps to the external input channel. (My guess is that the channel mapping at this point is somehow corrupted).

In my opinion this one is high on the customer pain threshold. I have been trying to find a consistent way to get this to happen but it does seem to be a bit random.

Cheers,

Ron

Since I received mine in early January I have averaged about 1 reboot per month, usually when the sound disappears or it seems to freeze up and not respond to remote commands.

Once or twice in the month that I've had it. No more annoying than with my 6000.

Sign me,
Waiting for P266

I rarely ever have to cycle power on the 811. Maybe once since December. But, holding in the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot, do that several times a week. Watching OTA for a long time and then switching back to Dish is typically when I might be forced to reboot. The guide gets messed up or the 811 just loses itself somewhere.

Keith.

I probably average about 1-2 reboots a week. Either the guide loop, or the fact that the channel info gets screwed up..(ex. Go to ESPN, but the header showing what is on will show info for, say, HGTV...or a regular channel showing as a PPV)

keith said:
I rarely ever have to cycle power on the 811. Maybe once since December. But, holding in the power button for 10 seconds to force a reboot, do that several times a week. Watching OTA for a long time and then switching back to Dish is typically when I might be forced to reboot. The guide gets messed up or the 811 just loses itself somewhere.

Keith.

I am starting to think this the fact of sitting on OTA for a long time is the source of a lot of these problems. Wonder if they have this in their test suite.... I get the feeling this is when the Loop issues crops up too.

WeeJavaDude said:
I am starting to think this the fact of sitting on OTA for a long time is the source of a lot of these problems. Wonder if they have this in their test suite.... I get the feeling this is when the Loop issues crops up too.

It happens to me after sitting overnight on a Dish channel, or after powering up. (I've been shutting down, hoping for the promised SW update.)

GaryPen said:
It happens to me after sitting overnight on a Dish channel, or after powering up. (I've been shutting down, hoping for the promised SW update.)

Yeah, well Moses and his group spent 40 years in the desert waiting for the promised update ....

And he was dealing with God, who has a Charlie complex ....

Probably do a couple of resets a week......guide issues.....or when I seem to "lose" channels I'm subscribed to..... yesterday it would start to go to the channel with the info banner at the top, but no picture...so I reset and all was well again (until next needed reset I guess)

Until the past week or two, I only had to reset it about once a month. Now it's started to not be able to lock onto any station on OTA even though there's a 90% signal strength and it can't lock onto satellite and just crashes. It's done it 3 times this week.

I'm really tempted to put the 6000 back into the main room.

Reset 811 Receiver daily

I reset my 811 every day when I get home from work. :mad: I tried leaving the receiver off until I got home but I had to unplug the receiver after the guide downloaded and no picture. I then left the receiver on all day with a music station playing :music but that caused the same problem when I selected guide and went to the other video channels. Acquiring satellite signal test then download guide but no picture. :no I tried check switch test and passed but still no picture. Pull power from receiver and then power up and after going through all the tests and guide download, I finally get my picture. :)

I give Dish my 1 year agreement and then I will switch over to VOOM. :) I want more HD, less garbage channels (BingoTV), and equipment that works. Charlie (CEO) doesn't show any interest in what the customer wants and doesn't seem to care. The Charlie Chats are pathetic! They treat the customers with a 3rd grade mentality and play such stupid video clips and commercials. This is my opinion and I think a lot of people feel the same way. Sorry for the lengthy post. Just venting!

I've had the EPG INFO download fail & attempt to repeat a couple of times in the last month. Yesterday it took most of the download but appeared to stop just before completion. The result was some scrambled listings: a TBN listing in HBOHD, etc.

A power reset took care of that but then there was nothing but live video from the HD output. To see banners, EPG & Menu I had to use the SD output. 1st time I've ever experienced this- probably caused by 2 quick power drops (thanks to Edison) that occured coincidently during the cycle. Another reboot got everything back to normal.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)