811 vs. 6000 What's Different?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
According to Charlie, on the chat, the only difference is that the 811 will support OpenTV while the 6000 can't.

I see talk about DVI outputs, but I don't know what that means. Is there really a difference between Component Out and DVI. Is the difference similar to Composite Out vs. S-Video?

I purchased one 6000 already and think it's awsome. I'm thinking of buying another one before they're all gone. I certainly can live without OpenTV support.

Any good reason to wait for the 811?

Any good reason to wait for the 811?
Maybe... depends on your needs/situation. For one thing the 6000 is 'legacy' and the 811 is DishPro based, thus there becomes an issue with what type of antenna you are going to use - legacy or DishPro.

DVI is the newer, high-end video interface found on HDTVs and some computer monitors. The "D" means digital, thus (in theory) no loss between the receiver and the monitor. (See DVI definition).

There appear to be a number of other differences... i.e the 811 has composite inputs and the 6000 has none, 811 has improved UHF remote (claims 200 ft. distance instead of 100 ft.), etc.

Try comparing the spec sheets for the 6000 and the 811.

DVI signals are digital (thus the "D" in DigitalVideoInterface). This means that an anti-piracy technique can be applied to these signals that can not be applied to component (analog) signals. Visually, there is little to NO difference in the resulting picture for the same resolution. The "problem" is that firmware on the 6000 can not be made to "down rez" (i.e. change 1080i to 480p) the output when the proposed copy-protect measures are instituted by "Hollywood". The Model 811 can be forced to downrez the component outputs (but keep the DVI signals intact).

The other "differences" are due to newer electronics technology on the motherboard, i.e. bigger memory chips that allow for a bigger OS (i.e. OpenTV, 2-Day EPG), etc. The form factor has remained basically the same, just the appearance has changed.

I think that "video62" meant to say ... the 811 has compONENT inputs and the 6000 has none...

There are two inputs and two outputs. This must be so you can connect a VCR & DVD, then use the Dish to switch between the devices.

Sounds like DVI may not be so good for consumers. Down the road, will the analog outputs quit functioning while DVI restrictions are in place?

For my needs, the 6000 at its current price is probably the best route.

Thanks for the links.

For my needs, the 6000 at its current price is probably the best route.

Thanks for the links.[/quote]

That is if you can even get the 6000. I was told after ordering and PAYING for it that DISH ran out of stock on it and my install was cancelled.

here's the story.

Well, I just got the infamous call from my installer saying that they had to reschedule my install of the 6000u tomorrow because they didn't get their shipment from DISH, and the guy told me that DISH didn't even have anymore from their central office. They had to order them from the manufacturer. I thought they were no longer being made? My install has been rescheduled for next Saturday the 22nd. Is there anything we can do?

The CSR at the Exec VP office (where Mr. Duffy works) told me that he will get back in touch with me tomorrow once he talks with the local installer and he's also going to check and see what they can do if it is in fact that they ran out of 6000u's about giving me an 811 upgrade instead for the same price. (doubt that will happen though.)

Update: According to that same CSR from Exec VP Office, he checked their inventory and he said after confirming with another colleague that there is a major shortage of the 6000u and they don't know when/if they will get anymore in. He said that he didn't know if this was because of the 811 coming out. He did say that corporate might make a decision as to allow people who ordered the 6000u who haven't gotten them yet to get the 811 in place of it. He said that he couldn't promise anything but that could happen.

davhol said:
I think that "video62" meant to say ... the 811 has compONENT inputs and the 6000 has none...
I really did say it right. Based on the spec sheet the 811 has no component inputs, but does have two sets of composite inputs which, as suggested, would be handy for VCR and/or DVD player connections.

Perhaps a silly question - but will the Superdish work with the 6000? If so, will I need some new hardware to support it because it's not 'DishPro compatible?' I am still on the fence as to whether or not I should scoop up the 6000 or wait for the 811 (may be too late anyway, judging from other posts).

I'm an existing DHP customer (no longer under contract), but am not sure that they will have any good upgrade deals for the 811. I sure don't want to miss these deals on HD, and end up having to pay $500 for a new receiver + more for a superdish.

Rumor is you'll need a $79.00 adapter. Who knows if that would be included with the "free" Superdish install.

video62 said:
davhol said:
I really did say it right. Based on the spec sheet the 811 has no component inputs, but does have two sets of composite inputs which, as suggested, would be handy for VCR and/or DVD player connections.
See spec sheet here:
http://www.dishnetwork.com/downloads/pdf/product_brochures/dish_811.pdf

Robert

I just got off the phone with a CS rep at Dish. I asked about the $149 model 6000 deal. She said they were refurb units and didn't have all the features of their upcoming 811, which she said i may want to wait for.

Now, she said there would be an upgrade offer for current subscribers for the 811 for around $300. However, i will say this...she also said i may want to wait for the 811 because it will have a 120GB hard drive and that i would be able to record HD programming. We all know she is thinking about the 921 (even though she was way off on the HD spec). So, i am wondering what the $300 upgrade offer will be for- the 811 or 921 or neither??? She also said the 600 deal goes thru the end of January.

I think i will hold out for the 921 as its got everything i want in a receiver. I know that Dish is probably trying to get rid of all their 6000 in inventory before they announce any upgrade deals on their new models.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)