921 HD / SD Toggle

trumpit

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 21, 2003
Northern California
I've been happy with my 921 (except for paying $949 one month before the price drop) driving my Samsung DLP thru DVI at 1080i 16x9. I just connected a bedroom SD set to the 921 RF output, and expected to be able to choose which set to watch by using the remote's HD/SD output switch. But when in HD mode, pressing the output switch doesn't do anything. Neither does pressing the output select switch on the 921 front panel. Holding the switch down for 3 seconds doesn't set it into safe mode either, it stays in HD. I can change modes by going thru the menu-setup-display, but I expected it to be easier to choose which TV to watch. Am I missing something? Thanks! TomH

By RF if you mean either the rca , s-video or coaxial outputs then yes it should switch from HD to SD and also from DVI to either of the 3 I mentioned and whatever set you have them connected to.

Do a reboot of your box... I believe you are currently experiencing one of the 921 bugs that disables the HD/SD button. During the beginning 30 seconds or so, the box will be in safe mode and both HD and SD outputs will be active. You should see it on both TVs then.

After the reboot finishes, just hit the HD/SD button and it should swap between your 2 TVs.

Do note, that if you leave your box in SD mode overnight and it does the auto-reboot, then it will cause your output type to be set to 480p for HD broadcasts. Another little feature to keep your eye on.

Have fun!

DishBacker said:
Do a reboot of your box... I believe you are currently experiencing one of the 921 bugs that disables the HD/SD button. During the beginning 30 seconds or so, the box will be in safe mode and both HD and SD outputs will be active. You should see it on both TVs then.

After the reboot finishes, just hit the HD/SD button and it should swap between your 2 TVs.

Do note, that if you leave your box in SD mode overnight and it does the auto-reboot, then it will cause your output type to be set to 480p for HD broadcasts. Another little feature to keep your eye on.

Have fun!

Thanks guys. A power cable reboot was all it took to fix the HD/SD button. The knowledge of this group is amazing, as usual :) TomH

Yup, I have had the same problem with my 921 on several occasions and the power reboot has worked every time. And that's just on the one TV I have it hooked into. Seems I must have a "decent" 921 since this is about the only bug (other than sporatic caller ID problems) that I have encountered since I got it in Jan 05. When in doubt, hard reboot!

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Sidebar