cappy29

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 12, 2005
Aliquippa,p.a
Can anybody tell me if when you shut the power off to a 921 by pushing the power off button if the fan should continue to run steady even though the power is off but reciever is still plugged in.

The power button does NOT trun the receiver off. It puts it in standby mode, and the hard drive is still spinning, but not buffering data. Therefore, the fan will stay on. The only way to shut it truly off it to unplug it.

The 921 currently does not have the ability to spin down the hard drive and turn off the fan (like the 501 & others).

Hopefully, this will be fixed in a future software release.

Dish continues to say that there are no plans to shut down the disk in the 721/921. It came up again in the tech chat last Monday. The said the software loads it's functions directly from the disk -- so the disk must be spinning. I don't know if this is specific to just the Dish software or if this is a Linux limitation.

standby

larrystotler said:
The power button does NOT trun the receiver off. It puts it in standby mode, and the hard drive is still spinning, but not buffering data. Therefore, the fan will stay on. The only way to shut it truly off it to unplug it.
Okay i take that if you unplug it every night you reciever probably won't be able to recieve its updates true or false.

cappy29 said:
Okay i take that if you unplug it every night you reciever probably won't be able to recieve its updates true or false.

You'll still get your updates. But, considering the 921 bootup/turn-on times it's really not worth the grief. What about overnight timers?

It'll get replaced with an mpeg4 box long before the hard drive wears out.

RobbinM said:
I don't know if this is specific to just the Dish software or if this is a Linux limitation.
Well, of course Linux runs just fine off of flash or PROM parts. :)

David_Levin said:
It'll get replaced with an mpeg4 box long before the hard drive wears out.
To reduce the disk usage, I just set my 921 to auto-tune to an analog OTA station when I'm not watching it--i.e. 1:30am, I'm usually asleep by then, and again at 9:30am--I'm at work by then. There's no buffering so disk accesses (head seeks) should be little to none while "watching" an analog station. A good embedded Linux-based design will not require much disk use (disk, flash, mtd) while running. And I'm not concerned about the drive spindle wearing out, usually the heads crash or wear out, at least that I've seen or experienced.

cappy29 said:
I know people do this, but I would be cautious about rebooting the 921 from power off without me watching it. I've had it power up and need a second reboot too many times. And frequently when I power up the unit it will turn itself on after reboot.

I use a lamp timer to turn both of mine off from 4:00 to 5:00 every morning. <Knocks on wood> I have yet to have any issues.

RobbinM said:
Dish continues to say that there are no plans to shut down the disk in the 721/921. It came up again in the tech chat last Monday. The said the software loads it's functions directly from the disk -- so the disk must be spinning. I don't know if this is specific to just the Dish software or if this is a Linux limitation.

Linux filesystems are setup to automatically defragment the drive. due to the constant buffering and deleting of PVR events, the drive does a lot of maintenace to keep it running well. I have used Linux for 6 years, and my drive with the / partition is always doing something. That's why I always use SCSI drives for my root drive. They have a much better MTBF than IDE and are just flat out more reliable. However, there are more expensive as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)