922 IP Address affect Sling?

peterson40

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
This may have been discussed before, but searching for numbers such as 192.168 turn up nothing...

I have never been able to get my 922 to connect with Dish Online, Remote Access, or with my Ipad and Iphone. It always said Receiver Offline. I always thought it was the receiver and had it replaced last week for something different with a Hard Drive Failure. I was hoping the replacement would work but it was the same for me. So I thought it has to be something else since it works for other people and I have a 10 Meg Upload speed.

I decided to change the DHCP scope on my network from 10.10.1.1-254 to 192.168.1.1-254.

To my surprise Dish Online and my Ipad/Iphone could now see my receiver and I could watch my 922 remotely?! I did not change any firewall or other security settings on the router except the DHCP scope... Maybe a coincidence, but something else to look at or try for people who can't get it to work. No idea why that would make a difference.

You should limit the DHCP address range to be a subset of the IP addresses in your network. At the minimum, the gateway needs an IP address outside DHCP range (usually x.x.x.1 but sometimes x.x.x.254). It's also a good idea to set aside some for static assignment. I typically let DHCP assign 50 IP addresses near the top of the range. For example 192.168.0.100-149. Addresses below 192.168.0.100 can be static. If you assign static IP addresses INSIDE the DHCP range you can end up with an IP address conflict.

It really shouldn't matter what IP address range you use inside your local network as long as everything is set up properly. That is the gateway and any other devices with static addresses are in that IP range and isn't in the DHCP range. The subnet mask must also match the range of static IP addresses. DHCP takes care of subnet mask automagically.

It's quite possible that the DHCP server assigned your satellite receiver the same IP as your gateway which prevented it from working. When you changed the local address range, some other device got the gateway's address and the satellite receiver got a valid one and it worked -- at least for now.

Another possibility is the 10.10.1.x IP range conflicted with what your cable modem has as an address so no traffic was leaving the gateway. That's the other rule: IP address ranges need to be unique.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts