922 Networking problems

gas91

Original poster
Sep 12, 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have a 922 with issues of internet connectivity. We replaced the 922 with another and have the same problems with it. The DHCP Acquired, Server Connectivity, and the Internet connectivity constantly change from OK to failed. Unit is plugged directly into 120 outlet. Issue is the same whether I use Slinglink or direct Ethernet cable. Two separate laptops testing the end of the Ethernet cable get 5 to 15mbs download and 5mbs upload from Speedtest.net.

Customer is on a Comcast Internet & Phone modem which feeds a Linksys WRT54G router. We replaced the router with a separate router of the same model number and had the same issues. We tried bypassing the router & fed direct off the modem but could not link at all because the DHCP couldn't aquire.

The one thing that seemed to work before I left the house - we ran a 140' Ethernet cable to a neighbor who uses Qwest Internet with a different brand of router and all items stayed linked. I want to emphasize that no other items (Iphones; Xbox; wireless laptops; wired laptops; etc.) in this house have any issues with the Comcast/Linksys combo. I've called Tech support 4 times and even after telling them the things that I have done they still ask if I have rebooted the receiver, the router, the Slinglink, or changed ports on the router. I want to rip someones throat out at this point. Any constructive advice? And yes, I know it was stupid to put in a 922 but that was what the customer wanted and I have now learned my lesson and will turn all of them away from now on.

See if you can change the router to always give the 922 the same ip address. Most have a way to configure the DHCP server to give the same address to a given MAC address.

See if you can change the router to always give the 922 the same ip address. Most have a way to configure the DHCP server to give the same address to a given MAC address.

And, if you can do that, then make the IP assigned to the 922 be a DMZ Host. That will open up all the ports to that IP.

Update. After the advice about the router the customer flashed the WRT54G with the latest firmware update and all is well. Why the router only had issues with the 922 is anybodys guess. I'm always going to carry a test router with me from now on in case I run into more weird installs like this to minimize troubleshooting time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)