942 lease request - was I too nice?

gbs,

They did the same with me. I don't think it's fair, but what the heck... it's no surprise coming from E*.

This sort of crap burns me up a little. Why do they bend over backwards for a new customer that could rip em off and run off with the expensive piece of equipment, and then offer customers who have been around YEARS loyally nothing but refurbished crap?

It's not like you're just going to pay $5 a month, you'd be paying $250 for the "PRIVILEGE" to lease the damn thing

I'd love to tell them where to stick their 942s if after being nice enough to "beg" them with an email they still said no.

Morning,

I got my lease deal last weekend. It took 48 hours to respond. I just stated the facts. I've been with echostar for almost eight years (still have a legacy 4000), AEP, HD + Voom. WOuld like to lease a 942 instead of the 811, and would like the same opportunity to lease as a new subscriber. She was very nice and said yes.

Scheduled for install next weekend. I don't see an MPEG DVR receiver for at least 6 months.:cool:

Scott

I emailed them a few days ago and still haven't heard anything. I will give them till tuesday and then they might not like what I will do if they don't respond or say no.

This january will be 4 years of me being with dish. When I first got dish I got 2 301's and the AT120. I then traded one of the 301's in for a 811 for the 199.99 deal they had going (owning both the 811 and 301). I then upgrade to AEP with HD and voom. I already had a dish at 61.5 so I didn't have to pay 99.99 for someone to put on up when I got voom. Has anyone got a 942 lease deal that fits my criteria. I can just see Dish having some software, kind of like the risk asessment that Insurance companies have to see if they can insure you, to see if you are worthy of getting a 942.

I wrote about 4 letters and called but got no response until I threatened to cancel. Keep calling and maybe you'll get a nice CSR. It took me about 3 months of writing and calling.

That's a thought.

Dish has a room full of 942s and must decide if the requestor is "942 worthy."

Dish is taking a loss on every 942 they lease for $250. I've heard the manufacturing cost is close to $500. Given that there is not going to be much residual value on these units when MPEG4 is released, and they have to eat the cost of a service call on most of the installations, they don't have a much incentive to offer this deal to a lot of customers.

Now if someone is a longer term customer who buys a lot of programming, then they know they will make their money back. Someone who isn't as good a risk, who is wanting the deal with no more of a commitment to buying the $10/month HD Pack for a year, well, they may not want to make this offer.

I just called dish twice and got some pretty stupid CSR's. They knew nothing about existing customers leasing of the 942. They said my only option is to buy it for +700.00. It pisses me off that they call you a liar when you tell them that others are somehow doing it but they tell you thats impossible. I guess I shouldn't be pissed at them, they weren't told any better. I ain't going to give up. I'm going to call tomorrow and talk to someone higher up and see what they say.

BrettTRay said:
I just called dish twice and got some pretty stupid CSR's. They knew nothing about existing customers leasing of the 942. They said my only option is to buy it for +700.00. It pisses me off that they call you a liar when you tell them that others are somehow doing it but they tell you thats impossible. I guess I shouldn't be pissed at them, they weren't told any better. I ain't going to give up. I'm going to call tomorrow and talk to someone higher up and see what they say.

You can call all you want, the CSR's CAN NOT give out the lease deal to existing customers.

Try actually reading this or one of the other 942 lease threads.

If you are a current customer & you would like to lease a 942, the only way to do so at this time is to send an email to this address ceo@echostar.com

Last edited:
I emailed twice and never got a response. I've only been a customer 2 years, but some kind of response would have been nice.

I called a few times as well, but as others have noted, the CSR's know nothing about existing customers getting the lease deal.

Finally they wore me down and I got the 811. I have no complaints except that it's not a DVR. Hopefully supply will catch up with demand with the current or next generation HD-DVR and we won't have to resort to begging like this.

I tried the email thing, and just got a response. I get the $250 lease, though. I've been a customer for over 7 years.
I think I'm going to go for it, which means they will release a new receiver within 6 months!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)