942 pic quality: DVI/HDMI vs. component: worth it??

120inna55

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 14, 2003
Athens, Texas, United States
I have a Samsung DLP (HLN617W). I currently have the 942 connected via component. I have an upconverting DVD player connected via DVI. My rationale for having the DVD player connected via DVI is that until now, the player could not upconvert via component. I've recently discovered a hack for the DVD player that will permit upconversion via component. (I only have 1 DVI input on the TV and I don't want to mess with a switcher).

Does the DVI/HDMI connnection on the 942 result is significant pic quality versus that of component? Is it worth the hassle (changing cables around, reconfiguring my Harmony remote, etc.)?

Also, I've read that some are having difficulty losing the HDCP handshake with the 942's. Is this still an issue?

Thanks.

I can't answer your question, but what DVD player do you have? How do you go about making the Component upconvert?

I have a 942 and a Samsung HLN DLP and use the DVI connection and I have had no problem with handshake. Also I also had a similar situation that you had and moved my DVI to the 942. I notice a little more sharpness and crispness of picture using the DVI. The component may have more vivid color. It is a personal choice but I think it is worth the work for the DVI.

Hey guys, I bought this NeuNeo 2081 player about 6 weeks ago and it will do 1080p via component. Check it out, they also have Chinese HVD discs available and the quality is very good, somewhere between DVD and HD, but closer to HD.

SatinKzo said:
I can't answer your question, but what DVD player do you have? How do you go about making the Component upconvert?

Not to get off topic, but...my DVD player is Samsung HD-841. This was a crap player until Samsung released a firmware upgrade (121104.08.ADT6XAA Released Dec 21, 2004 upgraded from 051804.01.ADT6XAA). Now it rocks!

The hack for enabling upconversion via component (AKA the "HDCP-free hack") can be found @ vcdhelp.com. Note: I won't post the instructions here, although they are quite simple, because I don't want this to be misconstrued as condoning DVD pirating. I just wanted to be able to upconvert via component in order to free up the DVI if needed in the future.

Back on topic: Maybe I'll try the 942 via DVI/HDMI. I'm already pleased with component, but I also recall a time when I was pleased with S-Video over composite.

For the record, I switched everything around to see for myself if the DVI port rendered a substantially better picture.

No matter what I did, I couln't make DVI/HDMI look as natural as component. The picture was just too soft. I mean I adjusted everything! I could only get the picture to "as good as" component, therefore I switched everything back and will continue to enjoy the 942 via component. I couldn't see how what I was getting could be surpassed anyway, but I had to see if there was an improvment. Interesting that something as technical as this can boil down to subjective opinion.

I did notice, however, that the guide isn't cut-off while watching via DVI. (If you don't know what I'm talking about, see this post: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=41330)

Anyways....thanks for your input! Now I know that the grass isn't greener and I can enjoy my 942 without wondering if it could be better.

I have a new 55" Fujitsu plasma that will be delivered on Tuesday, along with the install of a new 942 (replacing a 721). I am using a Yamaha receiver that has tons of component in's, and I've been wondering about whether to run the HDMI to HDMI from the 942 to the Fujitsu, along with running my Panasonic CP72 DVD changer via component directly to the Fuji, or to run them both via component cables to the Yamaha, then one component out to the Fuji. This gives me full audio/video switching through the Yamaha (and if I run a concurrent composite or S-video cable from the Yamaha to the Fuji, I'll get all my Yamaha audio on-screen-displays back again). Will I lose any quality of signal going component out from the 942 through the Yamaha to the Fuji? I'm not worried about generational loss by going through the Yamaha...I've been doing it via S-video for a couple of years now with no perceived loss of video quality. Whaddya think?

I'll bet you'll be happy with the indirect route allowing your receiver to do the switching. However, if you ever see it the direct HDMI to HDMI route you'll not want to go back. If you're like me, if you even suspect that there's a better way, then you won't be able to avoid checking it out.

As for me, I did check out the theoretical best option (as the post states), and I did not notice an improvement. So I'm happy knowing that I'm not missing anything.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts