942 TV2 Remote Trouble

sganga

Original poster
Jun 6, 2005
I love this receiver...except for this recurring problem. About 4 times a week the TV2 remote stops working. The remote lights up when pressing the buttons but there is no response from the receiver. Batteries are fresh in the reomte, UHF antenna is connected to the receiver, and I've had the remote replaced twice already. Even pointing the remote directly at the back of the receiver has no effect. And then boom, the next day (after about twelve hours) the TV2 remote and receiver are working again. I've eliminated all possible UHF interference I can think of to no avail. Is this happening to anyone else or can anybody offer a possible solution? I would certainly appreciate it, my wife's getting pissed!

You don't want your wife pissed. Has someone in the family accidently hit one of the other equippment buttons on the remote (eg. TV, VCR etc) The remote to operate the 942 only works when the sat button is pressed. The button just below the power button ( also red) will turn the TV on and off) so you don't have to push the TV button. I don't know if this is anyway part of the problem. I am just giving you few things to look at. Otherwise it should operate fine. my TV 2 is on a second floor and is not a problem. just make sure that the SAT button is the only one pressed so you can operate the the 942. hope this helps and if not.... get out of the wifes way. I know what it is .like to have a pissed off wife and it isn't pretty.

By the way...welcome to the site. You will find much help here and info.

You might also want to check the system info screen to make sure that each remote has it's own unique remote address. There is a section in the manual that covers changing the remote addresses for each remote as well as storing the unique remote address to the 942. This may help you to avoid any conflicts or signals being received from any nearby neighbors using DISH remotes. If you had a "professional" install, the installer should have already done this for you. Not sure if this will help or not but it may be something for you to look at anyway. ;)

Happened to me a couple of times. And each time pressing the Satellite button did the trick! ;)

Another thing to check: make sure the antenna is attached to the back of the box tightly.

Welcome to the forum, sganga!

I appreciate the help guys. Yes the remote is in SAT mode when it fails to communicate with the receiver. It has it's own remote address...TV1 is currently set to address 1 and I've tried TV2 at all of the other settings 2-15.

If anybody else is having this problem the way I've been handling it is switching the receiver from dual mode to single mode, change the channel to whatever I want to watch on TV2, and then switch the receiver back to dual mode. I have to keep doing this when ever I want to change channels on TV2.

The frustrating thing is the intermittency of the problem...last night at 8pm the TV2 remote and receiver stopped communicating and at 6am this morning they were working just fine!

942 remote

take the antenna off, check the stinger, it should be sticking out about a 1/16 or 1/8 from the connector that might be the problem.

I had never experienced this problem either, until last night. Now suddenly, out of the blue...TV2 remote does not control the receiver from across the room. If I get very close to the receiver it will pick it up but any distance suddenly causes it to not work. Also, sometimes it just starts working again and has no problems and then suddenly back to not working. The weird thing is that this just started. Has been working flawlessly for weeks and boom!!! :confused: :confused: Very strange. Double checked and did everything mentioned above...antenna is tight to back, prong is protruding far enough, correct chanel # yada, yada, yada...

Same thing is happening to me. I dont think its batteries, satellite button, or remote. Something odd is happening with the receiver being able to read the UHF signal.

You get a $5 break on your bill and the installer gets wacked $50. That is not what the referral system is used for you cheap bas$$#$@#@#$

I had UHF problems with my 921, no the 811 as it is deeper in a metal wire rack.
I added a couple of feet of 75-ohm cable and a feed through to the wire antenna to get it above the rack. This enabled its UHF reception.
The 501 always worked but that has both a different UHF and IR.
Other chassis (sing & pl) will block the signal.
Luck, -Ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)