96 port hub

Thanks for the offer on available equipment. However, as I was reeling from the need for another 12 (or "we'd really like 24") ports in the conference room, I was hit again. Now, there's only space for a single 1U. It's GOT to be a 48 now, and any future expansion is going to require a new rack or maybe I'll superglue the damn thing sideways on the current rack. ;)

I'd say "Thank you sir, may I have another" - but I'm sure there's another coming anyway. :rolleyes:

Navychop:

Why not have your wiring terminate into a relay rack? You could then place the switches with the relay racks and have short runs from your patch panel to the switch. This would allow you plenty of room for growth and free up space in your other rack.

This is a relay rack. Perfect for your application as the switches would be relatively light weight.

Last edited:
Navychop:

Why not have your wiring terminate into a relay rack? You could then place the switches with the relay racks and have short runs from your patch panel to the switch. This would allow you plenty of room for growth and free up space in your other rack.

This is a relay rack. Perfect for your application as the switches would be relatively light weight.

I think that's an excellent idea. Used those a lot on Guam. No room in the server/telecom room (long story, result of more "hidden" requirements), so we'd have to run it into an adjoining (empty) office. Doubt I'll get far on that one. Already ended up with certain secure storage items being located into "my" server room.

BTW, ventilation grids for the server room were dropped due to problems w/fire marshall. So extra ducting and a/c was promised. Never delivered. Might get a mite toasty. Might have a terrible accident in which some holes get punched in walls. Grrrrr.

Thanks for the offer on available equipment. However, as I was reeling from the need for another 12 (or "we'd really like 24") ports in the conference room, I was hit again. Now, there's only space for a single 1U. It's GOT to be a 48 now, and any future expansion is going to require a new rack or maybe I'll superglue the damn thing sideways on the current rack. ;)

I'd say "Thank you sir, may I have another" - but I'm sure there's another coming anyway. :rolleyes:

I put in a wall mount 8U rack for this. Cheap cell phone pic below. We have 96 incomming lines and a 48 port switch on the rack. On the wall is the phone system, router, and cable split. It is over the door in the server room. Yes I know it is a bad picture, but just had the cell phone which I need to update to an iPhone 3.0 in a couple months ;)

Attachments

• 20-04-09_1429.jpg
    20-04-09_1429.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 127
Recommendation for a better tomorrow:

Never, ever use the term "hub" in reference to modern computer networks.

Hubs are eeeeeevillllll.

navychop:

This is a disaster waiting to happen.

I see at least 3 with a good chance of occurring. :(

I put in a wall mount 8U rack for this. Cheap cell phone pic below. We have 96 incomming lines and a 48 port switch on the rack. On the wall is the phone system, router, and cable split. It is over the door in the server room. Yes I know it is a bad picture, but just had the cell phone which I need to update to an iPhone 3.0 in a couple months ;)

Pic's not bad. Not much smaller than what we have today. At least, some Cavalier equipment will be located out by the demarc so that saves some space. Today, most of the equipment is located high on the wall over the server and fax machine (moving to fax over network when we move). Need a step stool to access the equipment or change patch cords. Was hoping to get past that. But a 3 or 6 ft cord over to a possible future additional switch mounted high overhead wouldn't be too bad. Looks like they've moved some stand alone wall mount equipment into the rack, so that should free up some wall space. I suppose I could always put the switch under the counter, if ventilation issues aren't too bad. Sigh.

So far I've successfully kept the wireless demon at bay. But the guy doing the testing is pushing for it. Gotta keep the president paranoid about wireless. :p

Anyway, thanks for all the input. I've already ordered the 3COM. I really hope I don't regret not getting something fancier, down the road. About 25% of my time is already tied up in IT. Trying to hire another person for my office. Maybe I'll luck out and they'll know "it's not a cup holder."

Wireless is ok (note the antennas on the cisco router above) for limited use, but there is just not enough bandwidth for everyone. We just use it for laptops that come into the office, all the desk machines are hard wired.

STUNNED

Ordered it yesterday. Concerned about if it was in stock. Delivered this morning- before I even arrived for work!

Gotta open and check it out - box corner crushed a bit.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)