A couple of 625/622 Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

nlk10010

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2004
Nassau County NY
I have an existing D* Phase III with four lines coming down into my home run. I have an SD TV and an HDTV.

I am planning on calling D* to sign up and WILL talk to a CSR but given the hit-and-miss nature of THAT I thought I'd ask here first. I would like to have a 625 hooked to my SD TV and a ViP 211 to my HDTV. I understand the ViP622HD (dual-tuner) requires only ONE coax line in. Is that also true for the 625? Reason is that I only have two jacks by my SDTV and would need the second for distribution (PIP to the HDTV).

Also, would there be any problem (other than getting D* to sell them to me) to getting a 622 and (temporarily) hooking it up to my SDTV? I might like to take advantage of the $199 price for the 622.

Thanks for any info. BTW I looked on the D* web site at the manual for the 625 and couldn't decipher the satellite install instructions.

=NLK=

osu1991 said:
Why not just get a 622 and connect it to your HDTV and send the tuner 2 output from it to all your other analog tvs.

I KNEW I was going to get that question....:)

Reason is that the HDTV is in my bedroom at the foot of my bed and the 622 will make too much noise for me to get any sleep. I already have that problem with a ReplayTV but I pull the plug on that each night (I have a second ReplyTV upstairs that records overnight).

Thanks for taking the time to post; I didn't want to get into too much detail about my setup off the bat (I needed the answer about the # of feeds). I really LOVE the RTVs, the networking is elegant and they do everything I need EXCEPT they're not HD. I was thinking of just getting a 211 and a pair of standard boxes and keeping the setup I have now but unplugging the RTV at night is a pain and I'd really like HD.

BTW I've received two conflicting answers on this 625 coax question (on another board) so I'm now more confused than ever. I THINK it has to do with whether the 625 is DishPro Plus compatible or something of the sort but the on-line manuals don't seem to indicate that.

Again, thanks.

=NLK=

You need a dish pro plus lnb and a separator to use one line with the 625 and other dual tuner models. And the 622 is very quiet, except when the machine first comes on. I never hear it or the laptop cooler than runs constantly sitting under it. I have it sitting in my bedroom running hdmi to that hdtv and the component outputs distributed to a second hdtv in the living rm.

nlk10010 said:
I KNEW I was going to get that question....:)
...BTW I've received two conflicting answers on this 625 coax question (on another board) so I'm now more confused than ever. I THINK it has to do with whether the 625 is DishPro Plus compatible or something of the sort but the on-line manuals don't seem to indicate that.

Again, thanks.

=NLK=
Yeah, I'm confused here too! I was trying to answer you earlier but got to page 39 in the on-line manual and couldn't make sense of it, so I pulled the plug on my reply! It sez "NOTE: Some receivers include a DISH Pro Plus separator..." but did not say WHICH ones !! In any case you would need a DPP LNBF or switch in order to use one coax to feed the separator then into the 2 inputs on the 625. So the 625 itself would also need to be DPP compatible. I don't own one, so I'll defer to the experts...

bhelms:
And then there's the question of whether D* will include the switch (which I think is expensive) in the installation, with EITHER the 625 or 622. IAC, I appreciate the fact you took all that time to look through the manual.

osu:
Well, I guess I could try the 622 and if it's too noisy throw it upstairs and just use it for the time being with my SDTV.

A reliable retailer would be soooooo much better. All these questions coupled with the fact I need TWO dishes (for 110/119 and 61.5) makes things a quagmire.

Thanks to both of you.

=NLK=

A switch will be included IF your particular installation requires it. If you have 2 or fewer receivers then there will be no switch unless you have more than 3 sat. slots that you're needing to receive per your subscription. With the 3 sats. you mention, that could be done without a separate switch; the LNBF on the 110/119 dish would be the DPP Twin (includes an internal switch) and that would take an input from the LNBF on the 61.5 sat. and provide two outputs to two separate tuners. That could be a single downlead to a 622, then that single lead would feed both tuner inputs with the separator. Not sure how that would work with a 625, but at least the LNBF would be DPP...

BTW - I have the same dishes/LNBFs feeding my system, but since I have 3 receivers (4 tuners) I need a switch and in Dec. dish installed a DPP44 switch (~$200 retail, but reported as low as $60 via on-line auction) and that requires a 3rd downlead from the dishes. NOTE: The DP34, which is more commonly used in installations like mine, is NOT DPP...

I echo OSU - my 622 is really quiet except when its own fan runs, and also in my case, that is only on start-up...

OK, but wait a second. My main concern is whether or not I will be getting 1 coax to the 625 (or 622) or 2. I don't care if it is separated after it comes out of the wall or not, just how many coaxes I need in the wall. If there are only two leads coming from the dishes and I have a 622 AND a 211, wouldn't what you said imply that only one lead goes to the 622 and one to the 211?
=NLK=

If you are going with a dual tuner (625 or 622) and a second receiver (211) all you need is a DPP Twin. Single run to the Dual tuner using a separator and the other one to the 211.

and BTW, it's E* not D*. D* is for Directv.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)