A diplexor / diplexor question...

pulltab

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 10, 2004
San Diego
I am relatively new to installing Dish 322's, etc using the diplexor(s) at the cable box to get that second line hooked up.

My question is: if the customer still wants to keep the cable (Cox, Adelphia, or whoever), can I diplex this in also? For instance, Using one cable from the outside cable box for sat-in, out to TV-2 and "antenna-in" from the single existing cable.

So the back of the 322 receiver would have: one cable in to the receiver from the cable box--- hooking up a separator to the twin "satellite in" inputs, a diplexor to TV2...AND.... the cable to the "antenna in" inputs?

What is the proper order for diplexors, splitters and the like to make this happen?

I would not recommend using the cable company's coax for both cable and satellite for three reasons.
1) Satellite requires at least RG6 coax tested for 2Ghz.
2) If any problems occur be it cable or satellite who would you call? If a professional arrives he'll demand the systems to be isolated or refuse work. Also the cable may charge you if they believe damage (to their equipment) occurred from this setup.
3) The diplexor was really intended for an outdoor antenna sharing the satellite's coax.

Just a FYI: You may use a DP separator for both inputs of your 322 as long as you have DishPro Plus series LNB's or a DPP44 switch else you'll need two coax lines.

Sounds like you are doing a half a-- job. forget about cable co cable do your install the way it should be done.
Run new RG-6 from dish to 322 and new cable for TV 2

Yeah, figured it wouldn't work....I just thought that there was plenty of "room" on the RG-6 coax to run signal "back out" and then "back in".....

thanks for your help.

pulltab said:
Yeah, figured it wouldn't work....I just thought that there was plenty of "room" on the RG-6 coax to run signal "back out" and then "back in".....

thanks for your help.
Yes, there's plenty of room for VHF, UHF, and satellite on one cable, but NOT for feeding TV2 (UHF) back out on the same line - gets real messy.

Also, you can NOT allow the TV2 signal to get back onto the cable feed.

Anyway, to answer the "order" question for diplexer & Separator, it's:
LNB/Switch ---> Diplexer ---> Diplexer ---> Separator ---> Receiver

You can combine the cable and tv two using the diplexer. it is not easy but I will try to explain the best way I can.

First come off the switch or lnb into the sat side of the diplexer, then take a two way splitter and use it backwards cable in to one side of the out and tv2 to the otherside. Run the cable in just like always. on the back of the receiver repeat the process. In from the satellite into the in/out on the diplexer. sat to the satellite in of the receiver. the the ant part come out of it and split it. one to the tv2 on the receiver an the other you can hook up to say the ant in on the receiver which will be your cable.

The most important thing is to make sure you set the tv2 output channel on a cable channel that does not show anything. Probably over 100 so it will not affect the cable. that is why dish made it so you could change the tv2 output channel so it will not interfere with cable or antenna.

If you need a diagram email me @ tatesatelliteinstallations@direcway.com

Tate

Now on the 2nd tv say the cable company uses all the channels except 84. that is what channel the satellite will be on and the other channels will not be affected.

Yes, as I've said, there are several issues that can arise, and consistency is a big one.

I just did a 625/322, backfed the TV2's via diplexers and a reversed splitter, then ran then to a good spot to split it 3 ways for 3 bedrooms.

One of the BR feeds was 75' of good dual RG-6 - the other side was for a cable modem.

First, I tried to use the default of channel 60 for the 625 - lousy picture. Changed to Channel 35 - great picture. Why? Think of all the loss from diplexers cable and splitters. Put the 322 on channel 40 - A-OK.

Started auto-programming TVs around the house, and got several VHF & UHF channels. Most were unwatchable, but a few had good quality (nice bonus for the customer). They were NOT OTA (channel numbers didn't match up), but there solely due to the 75' of dual RG-6 between the cable modem and the 3-way splitter causing bleedover - AND the cable signal passed through the 3-way in all directions.

For this case, the flaws were a GOOD thing, but it gives you an idea of how messy it can get.

I am really confused with all this? I've been looking for the answer and just cant find a definite answer for my situation. Can some one please help?

I want to just back-feed the modulated output of the second tuner (cable channel 70something) of a 625 to a stand alone TV in another room. Where does bleed-over from other channels come from? Why would I have to look for a channel that the cable company does not use? Would all these issues apply to me with the simple 625 install or does this only apply when your trying to back feed a second tuner with cable on the same line??

The other question is can I deliver CableModem and SAT down one coax using Diplexers to a single tuner?

Thanks,
Tasos..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)