A&E channel occasional stutter?

marklyn

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 24, 2023
Austin, Tx
About 3 months ago my roof needed replacing after a hail storm. I moved the dish myself to a pole mount, with a clear southward view. I didn't change the skew or azimuth but I manually adjusted the left/right direction and monitored various transponder signals until I could see the highest signal on several of them.
I've recently noticed that one channel, A&E, occasionally freezes for about a half second on occasion for shows I've recorded on different days and times.
This could have been happening when Dish initially set up my service about 12 months ago but at that time I was new to Dish and didn't have much to record at the time with the writers strike, etc.
Does anyone know what transponder A&E is on? I'd like to check the signal there to see if it's a solid signal/lock. I can't find a current transponder list anymore.
I have not noticed this on any other channels.

If you are in the Austin DMA you can be on either the western arc or the eastern arc. If you are on the western arc A&E is on 119, transponder 17. I have a 69 signal strength on mine. You can check this on your own by going to the A&E channel and then pressing Home three times on your remote, then go down to Dish and you will see the satellite, transponder, and signal strength for that channel.

If you are in the Austin DMA you can be on either the western arc or the eastern arc. If you are on the western arc A&E is on 119, transponder 17. I have a 69 signal strength on mine. You can check this on your own by going to the A&E channel and then pressing Home three times on your on your remote, then go down to Dish and you will see the satellite, transponder, and signal strength for that channel.
It appears you are correct that it is 119 and 17. My signal stays around 70 or 71 when I'm checking it but when my shows record it could be later in the day, not sure as of now (I haven't checked). Could there be a difference in the signal during different parts of the day? I would rule out heavy clouds, etc., because I live in Austin where it seldom rains and clouds in the sky is more of an oddity.
So a possible side question... this channel shows to be a channel that has the streaming symbol next to it. Does that mean that instead of getting the channel from the sat dish it's coming over the internet connected to my Hopper 3? If that is the case I have google fiber and it's always an excellent connection.

Reactions: charlesrshell
It appears you are correct that it is 119 and 17. My signal stays around 70 or 71 when I'm checking it but when my shows record it could be later in the day, not sure as of now (I haven't checked). Could there be a difference in the signal during different parts of the day? I would rule out heavy clouds, etc., because I live in Austin where it seldom rains and clouds in the sky is more of an oddity.
So a possible side question... this channel shows to be a channel that has the streaming symbol next to it. Does that mean that instead of getting the channel from the sat dish it's coming over the internet connected to my Hopper 3? If that is the case I have google fiber and it's always an excellent connection.
I am not seeing a streaming symbol on channel 118 when looking at it in the guide. The fact that you see it on the correct satellite and transponder when you are on channel 118 tells me you are getting that signal from the satellite. When I go to channel 393, Pursuit, which is definitely a streaming channel and shows stream in the guide, I see a tuner but no transponder when I go to the Diagnostic page.

I am not seeing a streaming symbol on channel 118 when looking at it in the guide. The fact that you see it on the correct satellite and transponder when you are on channel 118 tells me you are getting that signal from the satellite. When I go to channel 393, Pursuit, which is definitely a streaming channel and shows stream in the guide, I see a tuner but no transponder when I go to the Diagnostic page.
Oh, ok. I think I understand a bit more. When looking on the Hopper 3 guide, I do see "Stream" by channel 393 as you mentioned but not under 118 (A&E), which shows a transponder, etc. I was mistakenly looking at the DishAnywhere guide when I posted earlier. So when using DishAnywhere some channels may come through as streaming and some may come through directly from the Hopper 3, correct?
Any suggestions on how to chase down this occasional but regular half second freeze on that channel? It might be happening on other channels but maybe I'm not watching or recording from those channels (if that makes sense).

Ah, yes DishAnywhere is a whole different ballpark. :) A good part of their channels are streaming these days. I have no idea what may be going on when you are watching A&E. Do you get these freezes when watching live? I might understand a recording having an occasional freeze, it happens, but you would see that on many channels not just one.

Ah, yes DishAnywhere is a whole different ballpark. :) A good part of their channels are streaming these days. I have no idea what may be going on when you are watching A&E. Do you get these freezes when watching live? I might understand a recording having an occasional freeze, it happens, but you would see that on many channels not just one.
I almost never watch the programs I watch on A&E live but I will try to do so to see if I can detect the issue in a live watch situation. The majority of TV I watch is recorded (time shifted) on purpose for convenience, so I'd estimate that 98% of everything I watch is recorded just because I can skip through commercials. So far I haven't noticed this happening with other channels/recordings.