A few decent prices on BD at BestBuy

JoeSp

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 11, 2003
Just picked up 300 on BD for $19.99 at BestBuy. They had other titles at good prices but I already had all the titles that I wanted.

The problem with HDM that may keep it a niche format is that even old titles are never below $19.99 but usually closer to $30. I hardly ever paid $19.99 for a movie. Usually $7 - $13 for all of my few hundred DVD’s. I think that’s the case for J6P also

I think $20 is the ponit when I'll really start buying. right now I only buy bogos or really good sales.

It was the same with DVD though. I initially bought a few titles here and there, then prices dropped below $20 for new releases and I started making a regular trip to BB on Tuesdays.

I think Bd will be there by x-mas.

I'd buy a BD instead of a DVD if I could buy the BD version the day it is release for $20, even if its sitting next its $15 DVD counterpart on the shelf.

I won't buy the BD, and will probably never buy the BD of a title if I pick it up for $15 on release day, and its BD counterpart is sitting there for $30+

I won't buy the BD, and will probably never buy the BD of a title if I pick it up for $15 on release day, and its BD counterpart is sitting there for $30+[/QUOTE]

i know what your saying, but i will buy BR (or HD DVD) it is, in most cases worth it.
a great looking transfer is worth the extra bucks IMO. also, just asking, why did you buy a hi def player, if you wont buy the discs?

thank you

I haven't bought any disks myself (though I have 8 freebees) as I prefer to rent, rarely watching any movie more than once.

I can't tell you how many DVDs I've bought over the years that just sit there having been viewed only once or not at all. The only movies I've watched 2+ times are those in a franchise series (Matrix, X-Man, Star Wars, LOTR) which I would go back and watch before the new sequel came out. Unfortunately, there aren't too many franchises I care that much about any more.

I haven't bought any disks myself (though I have 8 freebees) as I prefer to rent, rarely watching any movie more than once.

I can't tell you how many DVDs I've bought over the years that just sit there having been viewed only once or not at all. The only movies I've watched 2+ times are those in a franchise series (Matrix, X-Man, Star Wars, LOTR) which I would go back and watch before the new sequel came out. Unfortunately, there aren't too many franchises I care that much about any more.

+1 - except I have purchased 4 BD titles.

Couldn't resist 2001, Blade Runner, Omega Man, and Cars. Also got 3 free BD titles in-store at BB when I bought my TV back in January. I think they are still giving away the same pack, which contains 50 First Dates, A Night at the Museum, and Invincible.

I'd buy a BD instead of a DVD if I could buy the BD version the day it is release for $20, even if its sitting next its $15 DVD counterpart on the shelf.

I won't buy the BD, and will probably never buy the BD of a title if I pick it up for $15 on release day, and its BD counterpart is sitting there for $30+
you mean $35 on release day

Being most of us are paying $30 extra dollars in some case for HD programming, I dont take issue with paying $5-$10 for HDM.

Lets face it, ive personally quit going to the movies because of HDM. Why go spend $30 on a one time deal to listen to people talk and cell phones, when I can spend $20-$30 and own it while watching in the peacefulness of my home? Just my 0.02

I can feel the pain on the player costs, but Im showing no love for the HDM cost complaints.

Being most of us are paying $30 extra dollars in some case for HD programming, I dont take issue with paying $5-$10 for HDM.

Lets face it, ive personally quit going to the movies because of HDM. Why go spend $30 on a one time deal to listen to people talk and cell phones, when I can spend $20-$30 and own it while watching in the peacefulness of my home? Just my 0.02

I can feel the pain on the player costs, but Im showing no love for the HDM cost complaints.
One movie viewing costs you 30 bucks? I can watch it 4 times for that. A ticket to Ironman at the local AMC24 theater is only 7 bucks.

Wife and myself, ONE popcorn for me, ONE drink and ONE snack for the wife. Yes, its pretty high. I buy the BD for $18-$25, get some ice cream and stay home. Take gas out of it and the enjoyment of my home system and its just fine with me. If I had to choose whether to buy the disc or go to the movie, i choose to stay home and enjoy it.

Wife and myself, ONE popcorn for me, ONE drink and ONE snack for the wife. Yes, its pretty high. I buy the BD for $18-$25, get some ice cream and stay home. Take gas out of it and the enjoyment of my home system and its just fine with me. If I had to choose whether to buy the disc or go to the movie, i choose to stay home and enjoy it.
You pay for that food at home too albiet much cheaper, you also have to drive to Best Buy to buy that movie as well. But that isnt the issue.

You pay for that food at home too albiet much cheaper, you also have to drive to Best Buy to buy that movie as well. But that isnt the issue.

In LA I pay $12 each for my wife and I, and another $9 for my daughter = $33 in ticket price alone. Don't get get me started on the cost of a coke and (stale) popcorn. I only go to the movies if my daughter nags me long enough - and I can say no to a lot of nagging. Even so, I won't pay $30 for a HD disk (I have both PS3 and XA2). I'll buy at $20 or less, and I have with BOGO's and other sales, but not $30. I get plenty of BD rentals at Blockbuster ($20 month) and HD PPV's from Dish in a pinch.

That stinks.

Here's my SOP lately:

*) Movie hits BD that I would have seen at the movies, I just buy it.

*) Movie that Im skeptical about, I rent it first on Netflix.

Very few (Iron Man this weekend) movies get me into the Theater anymore.

Yes, I don't know your situation but I think "Married With Children" changes a lot of things for most people. When I was a young pup, I went to the movies many times a month - it was a social thing. My needs and wants are different now.

My home theater is extremely cost effective, convenient (movies are delivered to my mail box and showings are on my schedule) and from a technical stand point, it stands up very well to any mega-plex theater. The only thing that bothers me is the wait for release dates of movies on BD or DVD.

I'm with you as far as it taking a mega blockbuster to get me into a theater these days (like Iron Man). It's not the theatrical environment that brings me in though - it's the not having the patience to wait for the release of the disk for viewing at home.

The window is getting shorter between theatrical release and release on BD/DVD though. I long for the day that a movie is released simultaneously in the theaters and on disk.

The newest addition to my media library (I have an HDDVD player) was ... First Blood on standard DVD! Saw it in Target for $5.50 and just picked it up on a whim. I don't usually buy movies when they're new releases and therefore high priced. OK, it took me 26 years to get around to buying this one ... which might be a tad longer than I normally wait. :rolleyes: But heh, at least the box says it's anamorphic!

The newest addition to my media library (I have an HDDVD player) was ... First Blood on standard DVD! Saw it in Target for $5.50 and just picked it up on a whim. I don't usually buy movies when they're new releases and therefore high priced. OK, it took me 26 years to get around to buying this one ... which might be a tad longer than I normally wait. :rolleyes: But heh, at least the box says it's anamorphic!

Maybe even glorious Dolby Stereo?:D

Maybe even glorious Dolby Stereo?:D
The box says DD 5.1. Of course, anything can be converted into that ... even mono. Chances are nobody else in the family will watch it with me, so that relegates me to a late night viewing with headphones. So Dolby Stereo shouldn't be all that bad!

In LA I pay $12 each for my wife and I, and another $9 for my daughter = $33 in ticket price alone. Don't get get me started on the cost of a coke and (stale) popcorn. I only go to the movies if my daughter nags me long enough - and I can say no to a lot of nagging. Even so, I won't pay $30 for a HD disk (I have both PS3 and XA2). I'll buy at $20 or less, and I have with BOGO's and other sales, but not $30. I get plenty of BD rentals at Blockbuster ($20 month) and HD PPV's from Dish in a pinch.
WHen I was growing up any candy you had at the theater came out of Mom's purse and it was purchased on the way there. Even today my 54 year old sister sneaks the refillable popcorn bags into the AMC theater.