A few questions about setting up in an RV

fixit5561

Original poster
Feb 14, 2010
Michigan
Hey everyone,

I have lurked for a while and now need some help. The forum has answered a ton of questions when I needed it and I found them fine with doing a search but alas I now havent found anything about this.

Can I use a dish 500 with dual LNBs to set up my hopper in my RV?

I also have 2 TVs in the RV and want to run one with the Joey.

I did set up my cabling in the RV to run the duo receiver when I had it and it worked fine. Now I upgraded to the Hopper in the house and want to take it with me in the RV.

Heres a run down of what I have for the Hopper. I have the Solo Node attached to the dish with both LNBs running to it. I then capped off the one output and ran the other output into the RV. (the RV does have RG6 cable in it) I then ran inside the RV to a tap then the output host to the Hopper and the the client output to the Joey. (in doing a search on this forum this is the correct way to set it up. for my RV and did it this way this past weekend)

I was camping this past weekend and couldnt get a satellite signal from the Dish so the Hopper was a no go for the weekend. (I do have an Accutrac Pro 22 to get the signal and could only get a 30 signal on that finder which wasnt good enough to get the Hopper to work)

Is there anything you guys see that Im not doing correctly?

Thanks in advance
fixit5561

I have proved that you run a Hopper with just the 119 and 110 LNBFs. Obviously you won't get the channels on 129.

Now I run two cables from the Dish to the Solo inside the trailer so I don't have the Tap in the mix.

30 sounds low. Just what do you see in the Switch Check. What sateliites are found in what order?

you will need a dpp twin to the node for it to work correctly
1 dual to each input of the node is going to cause problems

Yes, when you said "dish 500 with dual LNBs," that left a grey area. Was that a DP500 or a DPP500?

If you don't have a DPP500, then you might as well get a DPP1000.2. Just as easy to aim and you get all three satellites.

It's really not that hard to point once you lock onto 101
It is a whole lot harder than plopping down a dish mounted on a tripod or scrap of wood until it looks plumb.

I have an uneven deck at the lake house and my Dish 1000 doesn't seem to mind as long as the azimuth is pretty close.

In the RV world it is good to have a tripod with adjustable legs so you can get a vertical mast.

Without a vertical mast, you are working in multiple planes at once. I.e. changing the Azimuth with also change the Skew and the Elevation.

With a vertical mast, each of the adjustments can be changes with changing the others.

Yes, when you said "dish 500 with dual LNBs," that left a grey area. Was that a DP500 or a DPP500?

If you don't have a DPP500, then you might as well get a DPP1000.2. Just as easy to aim and you get all three satellites.

I'm sure you and most allready know this, but to prevent any confusion as to DISH's equipment, DP and DPP refers to the switches and lnbf's. For the antennas, it's Dish 500, Dish 1000.2 etc. Without clarification, I read the OP's equipment to be, 2 legacy or DP dual lnbf's on his Dish 500. I agree, get a Dish 1000.2 with a DPP WA or EA lnbf.

I have proved that you run a Hopper with just the 119 and 110 LNBFs. Obviously you won't get the channels on 129.

Now I run two cables from the Dish to the Solo inside the trailer so I don't have the Tap in the mix.

30 sounds low. Just what do you see in the Switch Check. What sateliites are found in what order?

Thats just it I couldbnt get ay sat's to lock on to. When I did a check switch it didnt show any signal at all.

In the RV world it is good to have a tripod with adjustable legs so you can get a vertical mast.

Without a vertical mast, you are working in multiple planes at once. I.e. changing the Azimuth with also change the Skew and the Elevation.

With a vertical mast, each of the adjustments can be changes with changing the others.

Yes I do have a 4 legged stand that I made out of black pipe that all 4 legs are adjustable. And when taken apart it all fits neatly in my rear bumper of the trailer so leveling isnt a prioblem at all.

I'm sure you and most allready know this, but to prevent any confusion as to DISH's equipment, DP and DPP refers to the switches and lnbf's. For the antennas, it's Dish 500, Dish 1000.2 etc. Without clarification, I read the OP's equipment to be, 2 legacy or DP dual lnbf's on his Dish 500. I agree, get a Dish 1000.2 with a DPP WA or EA lnbf.

Yes I think you guys are right about the dish being the wrong type. I pretty sure mine is a dp with dual lnb's on the Dish500 not a DPP500. It is an older dish so Im assuming that is is the former.

Guess now I have to look for a new dish for the system. Any ideas where to get a cheap DPP 1000.2 for around $40.00?

Yes I think you guys are right about the dish being the wrong type. I pretty sure mine is a dp with dual lnb's on the Dish500 not a DPP500. It is an older dish so Im assuming that is is the former.

Guess now I have to look for a new dish for the system. Any ideas where to get a cheap DPP 1000.2 for around $40.00?

There are lots of them on eBay for $30-$50 for used ones

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts