A Few Questions re. Motorized Ku Dish Alignment

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IA6Newspath

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Hi all.

Just wanted to say hi to everyone from a new member to this forum. I've been thinking about getting some type of FTA Ku setup, and over the course of the last couple of days I've been soaking up all of the excellent information provided in these forums.

There is still, however, the matter of initially aligning a motorized dish that's still a little unclear, as I'm not quite certain of the typical method/process for performing the alignment. Assuming that I know the magnetic declination of my area (it's aproximately 3' W here), I have access to a satellite look angle calculator, and I have a vertically plumb mast, what is my initial "reference point" for aiming the dish? Do I initially aim it at magnetic or true south, or is there a specific bird that's always used in order to establish a reference for the receiver so that it can properly adjust azimuth, elevation, and polarity when moving between different satellites?

By the way, if this has already been discussed elsewhere or in a FAQ, feel free to refer me to another page instead of re-typing information that has already been discussed. Thanks!

Hello and WELCOME to the Satellite Guys.US FTA forum.

Usually you want to aim at your true south satellite if you have one. Using USALS any satellite close to true south will work just as well.

Your true south satellite is always at the same orbital position as your longitude. Have a look at our FAQ area where you will find the Satfinder software, enter your zip code and it will show you all the angles to the satellites from your area.

Also have a look at the below links for a complete run down of a motorized set up, let us know what motor you will be using!

http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Installation/HH-mount-installation.htm

http://www.adventistsat.com/downloads/InstallDiSEqC.pdf

DMSI-SG2100 easy manual.pdf

http://www.usals.info/inglese/home.htm

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome, and for the quick reply! Should I decide to purchase an FTA system, I'll most likely go with a 76cm dish. If I recall correctly, there are a couple of different motors available, so any suggestions or personal preferences are definitely welcome. Additionally, I'm looking at the Pansat 3500 receiver. I read through the lengthy review and discussion thread for this receiver, and it sounds like a great, reasonably priced receiver.

By the way, being new to FTA, I've found a number of FTA dealers but I'm not quite sure yet of which online dealers are considered to be the most reputable and popular, so any suggestions for a good place to pick up a package with a 76cm dish, motor, and Pansat 3500 would be appreciated.

Again, thanks for the warm welcome!

I like and use the SG2100 motor, if you are shopping for a system a GREAT place to start is with any of our GOLD sponsors at the top of the page!

IA6Newspath said:
I'll most likely go with a 76cm dish.
Welcome to the forum.
Could I convince you to get a 90cm Dish, you definitely wont be sorry and the price is reasonable, it's the best dish you can get for the money.

Personally I like Sadoun as a sponsor, they have some nice packages for a reasonable price, though I don't think they sell Pansat 3500 they do have some nice fortec receivers.

heres a link to the motorized dish packages, then you can just add the receiver of your choice. http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Dishes/Motorized-combo-satellite-dish.htm

I have MKIT 2 w/ a Invacom lnb upgrade

Do your homework, I've read no complaints on the SG2100 motor and they are also priced reasonabally, the thing is that sometimes the packages bundled offer you a good discount rather than buying everything seperately.

Again when it comes to dish size bigger is better and believe me If I could have put up a 1.2 meter dish I would have, only thing is that once you go bigger than 90cm the price and shipping charges go right thru the roof.

Last edited:
If you can afford a larger dish, go for it. I always say to myself...."you pinhead, why didn't you get a 1 or 1.2m dish. "

have fun

I've had a chance to read through the dish/motor alignment procedures that were posted in this thread. While all of them discuss how to set the proper elevation for initially calibrating the dish/motor, including some basic calculations to compensate for dish/motor elevation markings, I can't seem to find much discussion in any of these procedures with respect to making the initial azimuth alignment. That said, prior to proceeding with USALS configuration in the receiver, should the dish azimuth be set at magnetic north, true north, or aimed at the closest satellite to one's true north location?

IA6Newspath any reason for the unique name? Just wondering if you might work for an uplinker.

When setting up with USALS, just point the entire motor assembly (dish on motor) generally toward your south. After you use USALS to move to a given satellite (choose one that's parked near your longitude), you will slowly rotate the motor/dish on the pole until you get signal. As long as you have your motor and dish elevations set properly, azimuth's a piece of cake :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts