A LINUX machine in a Windows World.. Networking Questions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

rockymtnhigh

Hardly Normal
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 14, 2006
Normal, IL
I have a question for any linux guru's on the list, hopefully someone can help me.

When I finished grading for the semester on Monday I had an itch to turn a spare unused PC in my home office into a linux box. I downloaded an ISO of the Fedora 5 core and gave it a go. Its running on an old Athlon XP 1800 with 1GB of RAM; and runs fairly well. The X Windows interface is not the fastest thing, but it is a nice change from windows.

My biggest challenge has been with networking it within my home network. I have a firewalled/vpn-capable linksys router/switch, a few 5 port switches in different parts of the house, and a 80211G access point. The machines (all Windows XP Pro) connect in a workgroup and file sharing and printing works well. The laserjet is shared through my wife's pc, which is always on so there is no problem there. There are 3 PCs, 2 laptops, and the Linux Box on the network. Plus a linksys network storage link. All are CAT5 100MB wired except for the laptops which are WiFi.

My initial problem was that while linux could see the windows machines, it refused to connect to them. I double-checked that samba was running, it was. The problem was related to the old workgroup name - @HOME, that dated back to when AT&T @HOME was the cable modem provider. Linux DID NOT like the @ character. Once I renamed the workgroup, it could see the machines fine, and I can now access files from my other machines on the linux machine.

BUT I can not figure out how to get linux to connect to the laserjet. It does not show up as a share, and I can not figure out how to make it one.

Would this issue go away if I just got a Linksys USB print server, and controlled the printer through the network instead of through one of the windows pc's?

I use a device called Zonet that takes a USB or Parallel printer and turns it into a network printer. You dont need windows. you just have to make sure the printer you have can load the drivers on the Linux box. So install the Printer using the USB connection to the box and get it working. Then you remove the USB, put that into the Network Zonet box and run a wizard on the Linux box. It then knows to change the USB port to the network port. Just make sure both the printer and Zonet or USB to Network device supports linux and you should be allset.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)