A little help please...

mumbles

Original poster
May 8, 2020
GA
We have built our forever home in the middle of nowhere Georgia... no cable available and OTA signals are almost non-existent so we are looking at Dish. The house has cat 6 and coax run from a central drop to all locations we plan to have a TV and there are 2 pulls from the planned dish location. Based on several discussions on this site, it looks like we are in the Eastern Arc and the dish location is on a southern facing wall.

My main confusion starts with the equipment and packages available from Dish... I know what we don't want, but what we need is less obvious... Programming will likely be Americas Top 250+ as some channels are only offered with that package.
DONT NEED: Streaming capability, apps on my Hopper, HopperGo, Dish Outdoors
DO NEED: Ability to access recordings on main Hopper at other Hoppers (Joeys?), HD programming as our TV's are HD.
USAGE: We would like to be able to record programming on the main Hopper and watch in 2 other locations.

QUESTIONS:
Do we need a Hopper3 and 2 Joeys for that usage or is it possible to take the HDMI out of the H3 and feed it to the other 2 TV's via HDMI over ethernet RX/TX pairs?
I've seen mention of various DP* switches and DP* LNBs... where would those fit in my usage scenario?
HBO... is it available on Dish?

I appreciate any assistance!

You want a Hopper 3 and 2 Joeys. That way you can have unique viewing at each location with the ability to simultaneously record up to 13 more programs all at once.

The things you listed that you don't need, Streaming and apps require an internet connection, HapperGo is a portable device to transfer recordings to and Dish Outdoors is a division of Dish Network that specializes in the portable dome-style antennas for campers, RV'ers, etc.

The things you want, you'd have all of those. As for installation, just let Dish send a tech to do the install and work with him on Dish placement. He'll have the right Antenna and LNB, etc.

You've already done the hardest part buy making sure cable was run from a Home Run point to each room!

...or is it possible to take the HDMI out of the H3 and feed it to the other 2 TV's via HDMI over ethernet RX/TX pairs?

I'm not 100% sure if that is technically feasible, though it may be...but I can say this...if you did go that route, you would not have independent viewing at each of the locations. IOW, all TVs would have to watch the same thing. You wouldn't be able to watch one thing at one TV location and then watch something different at the other TV locations. As HipKat said, you'd be better off with the H3 and two Joeys, which would give you independant viewing at each location. Make sure you ask for the "Joey 3", unless you need 4K at those locations, in which you would want the "4K Joey".

HBO... is it available on Dish?

No...No HBO/Cinemax on Dish. They've been off Dish for a LONG time now, and not at all likely to return anytime soon, if ever.

I'm not 100% sure if that is technically feasible, though it may be...but I can say this...if you did go that route, you would not have independent viewing at each of the locations. IOW, all TVs would have to watch the same thing. You wouldn't be able to watch one thing at one TV location and then watch something different at the other TV locations. As HipKat said, you'd be better off with the H3 and two Joeys, which would give you independent viewing at each location. Make sure you ask for the "Joey 3", unless you need 4K at those locations, in which you would want the "4K Joey".

No...No HBO/Cinemax on Dish. They've been off Dish for a LONG time now, and not at all likely to return anytime soon, if ever.
He'd only get Joey 3's by default unless the tech was out (highly doubtful) and had use Joey 2's, but he could upgrade for free down the road

Reactions: DWS44
Wow, thanks for the prompt responses, I appreciate it! I mentioned the switches and LNBs because I read a few posts where people said that they were given the wrong items which resulted in call-backs.

I'm guessing the switch is located where the cables home-run? If so, and I know I'll eventually have more than 3 TVs connected, is there a specific switch model I should ask for, or are they cascadable?

Again, thanks for your quick responses!

Wow, thanks for the prompt responses, I appreciate it! I mentioned the switches and LNBs because I read a few posts where people said that they were given the wrong items which resulted in call-backs.

I'm guessing the switch is located where the cables home-run? If so, and I know I'll eventually have more than 3 TVs connected, is there a specific switch model I should ask for, or are they cascadable?

Again, thanks for your quick responses!
You don't have to ask for anything. It's not a switch, Ther reason you're seeing talk of switches is for upgrades using existing equipment that on its own, isn't compatible with the Hopper 3. Where the homerun is, goes a splitter-like device called a hub and yes, it'll be cascadable with future Joeys, up to 6 rooms total, or you can purchase a 7th location

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts