a question about moving.....

sullic82

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
I'm moving to a new aparment in 2 weeks and my new apartment will allow satellites as long as they are not on the building. The problem is that the unit I have faces north (first floor and its a 2 story building) and the southern view is behind the unit. the only way to have a southern view for the dish is to go past a walk path inorder to go around the corner to get a southern view which won't be allowed. I have seen dishes on poles before and wanted to know if its possible of using a longer pole (like 9-10 feet) in order to get the dish over the second story in ordr to get a signal and won't have to go under a walk path.

3 options:
1. Self install
2. Request another apartment
3. Go to a contractor and try to do a side deal

--------------------------------------------------------

If this isn't going to happen, when you schedule your mover, make sure you specify you do not want a in house tech,
Rather you want a sub contractor.

What does the the sub contractor have over someone else? Can't I just request a 10-12 ft pole inorder to get it over the roof?

3 options:
1. Self install
2. Request another apartment
3. Go to a contractor and try to do a side deal

--------------------------------------------------------

If this isn't going to happen, when you schedule your mover, make sure you specify you do not want a in house tech,
Rather you want a sub contractor.

In-house techs don't have access to taller poles. Your going to need a contractor should not be that big a deal

1st thing, is that even an option with a taller pole? Also do I just call dishnetwork and say I'm moving and also inform them I want a sub contrator?

I would say that height is going to be a problem. Putting the dish on a pole is fine, if anchored correctly. 10 feet of pole might subject it to movement beyond keeping a signal. Perhaps someone else has done it and can post.
Getting the installer to do this might depend on the installer. Like anything else, some will be willing to go outside the box, some won't. If they think you will be calling them back because it isn't working out, they won't do it.

I have seen tall poles at some apartments in Blacksburg near Virginia tech. If you call you can't request a sub or retailer it is all done by computer nowadays. But you would need to go to a retailer to even try to do that. Dish techs wont try most likely. Some may but few and far between I'm sure

To do a pole that tall it will have to be sch 40 (heavy duty 1/4 thick steel) pole. The apt complex may not want a tall pole put on their property to do this either. Cause after you leave there will be this usless pole just sitting there in the way. If I were an apt mgr I would tell you to go take a leap. Those are not common so you will need to go thru someone that has done this. I'd check on if same type apt is available w/ a S view or balcony has a S view to see if you can get this done much more easily.

Last edited:
Agreed it will be difficult to get done but all of the in house techs here in my area would say sorry about your luck, have a great day. A sub may say I'll put it in but won't warranty it.

Your only hope is a sub-contractor.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)