A recording problem

sktrus

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 4, 2020
Ken ta kee
I noticed this several weeks ago, and it is still annoying me. I am hoping that there is a solution.

I use PrimeTime Anytime to record everything (all networks, everyday). I selected the option to keep them 8 days. I know I can not extend time on individual recordings (with Prime recording). I have to figure it out what the next show is after whatever I am viewing in case it is cut short. For instance 60 Minutes. Since I am afraid the recorded show(s) will eventually delete itself, I select and save it. So, saved shows are also available under recordings. (2 copies of the same show or shortcut?)Thankfully, they stay until or if I delete them. Here's my problem:

I feel there is no reason to keep them in PrimeTime Anytime folder (because I saved them), I select and delete them!. (I have enough storage capacity in Hopper 3, but I still do it!. It is just a habit I can not control it!:rolleyes:)
When I select those particular recordings (the ones that I saved, and later deleted from Primetime Anytime folder), I can not watch them. When I select it, it gives me only 2 choices, Record this and record series. I go to trash folder, and restore them!
Is there a solution?
What I want is keep the saved shows in recordings, and delete the same ones from PT anytime folder.
Thank You.

Attachments

• IMG_8596.jpg
    IMG_8596.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: charlesrshell
I noticed this several weeks ago, and it is still annoying me. I am hoping that there is a solution.

I use PrimeTime Anytime to record everything (all networks, everyday). I selected the option to keep them 8 days. I know I can not extend time on individual recordings (with Prime recording). I have to figure it out what the next show is after whatever I am viewing in case it is cut short. For instance 60 Minutes. Since I am afraid the recorded show(s) will eventually delete itself, I select and save it. So, saved shows are also available under recordings. (2 copies of the same show or shortcut?)Thankfully, they stay until or if I delete them. Here's my problem:

I feel there is no reason to keep them in PrimeTime Anytime folder (because I saved them), I select and delete them!. (I have enough storage capacity in Hopper 3, but I still do it!. It is just a habit I can not control it!:rolleyes:)
When I select those particular recordings (the ones that I saved, and later deleted from Primetime Anytime folder), I can not watch them. When I select it, it gives me only 2 choices, Record this and record series. I go to trash folder, and restore them!
Is there a solution?
What I want is keep the saved shows in recordings, and delete the same ones from PT anytime folder.
Thank You.
Why worry about it. Since you don't have any storage issue just leave them alone in the PTAT folder. If it is really bothering you, save the PTAT recordings you want to watch to your Recordings folder. Then in PTAT settings reduce the Keep Recording days to 2 days and then go into the PTAT folder and start deleting what you wish to delete. For the ones that usually run over like 60 minutes I also save the next program to it in my Recordings folder. It is easy to do if you have your PTAT folder Network setting to Group By instead of by Title. For the Network Group By setting go to your PTAT folder, select Options, Network, then Group By. The Group By looks like in the pic.

Attachments

• PTAT Group By.jpg
    PTAT Group By.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 94
Charles; thanks for the suggestion. Every evening, I delete recordings in PTAT that I never watch. I no longer delete the shows (that I saved) in that folder. I have two options to watch them. Either Recordings folder or PTAT folder. The wifey and I don't have enough time to watch what we like before they are automatically deleted.
It looks like PrimeTime recording stays in its folder even if you save it. I believe it is also shown in recordings folder as a shortcut. If I delete it from PTAT, its shortcut still stays in recording folder but not viewable since it moved to trash folder.

Charles; thanks for the suggestion. Every evening, I delete recordings in PTAT that I never watch. I no longer delete the shows (that I saved) in that folder. I have two options to watch them. Either Recordings folder or PTAT folder. The wifey and I don't have enough time to watch what we like before they are automatically deleted.
It looks like PrimeTime recording stays in its folder even if you save it. I believe it is also shown in recordings folder as a shortcut. If I delete it from PTAT, its shortcut still stays in recording folder but not viewable since it moved to trash folder.
sktrus you are welcome.
If you go into your PTAT folder and save a recording it goes to your Recordings folder and stays there until you delete it even if you delete it from the PTAT folder. It also stays there when the program automatically leaves the PTAT or Trash folder. If you don’t have a storage issue why not just let the PTAT do the automatic deletion when the day count is up? That is what we do. Sometimes in a great while we go into the PTAT folder and check out the previous recordings for something we might want to watch. Also, if I have forgotten or missed saving one of our favorite PTAT recordings it will still be there in the PTAT folder if the day count hasn’t deleted it yet.

I forgot to mention I have a Daily timer set for our favorite PTAT CBS channel News program at 10 PM CST. That way it catches the run over PTAT 9 PM CBS show for every day of the week. That has saved my life from an upset Wifey, if you know what I mean.

Reactions: sktrus
If you go into your PTAT folder and save a recording it goes to your Recordings folder and stays there until you delete it even if you delete it from the PTAT folder.
In my case, that does not happen! I have tried several times. OK, I will try to be clearer.
I open PTAT folder, select a show. I can save just one episode or series. That's great. No more worries about automatic delete after 8 days. Now that recording icon is in both PTAT folder and recording folder. My assumption was that hopper 3 dublicated that show in 2 different folders. I assumed I could delete the original recording in PTAT folder, and watch the dublicate whenever we wanted. But, that recording in Recording folder does not let me watch! Only 2 options. Just 'record this' or 'series'. Check the picture I posted. I have to go to trash folder and restore that deleted recording. Therefore, I believe, hopper 3 creates a shortcut in recording folder for a show originally saved in PTAT folder. Does that recording in PTAT folder still stay there after 8 days, or moves into a permanent location in recording folder? No idea.
Now, I am not trying to split hair here, and your idea of not deleting it in PTAT is fine. Just a little confused, that's all. hopper 3 HD shows %70 full. So, I quit worrying about it. let me know what you think.
Cheers.

In my case, that does not happen! I have tried several times. OK, I will try to be clearer.
I open PTAT folder, select a show. I can save just one episode or series. That's great. No more worries about automatic delete after 8 days. Now that recording icon is in both PTAT folder and recording folder. My assumption was that hopper 3 dublicated that show in 2 different folders. I assumed I could delete the original recording in PTAT folder, and watch the dublicate whenever we wanted. But, that recording in Recording folder does not let me watch! Only 2 options. Just 'record this' or 'series'. Check the picture I posted. I have to go to trash folder and restore that deleted recording. Therefore, I believe, hopper 3 creates a shortcut in recording folder for a show originally saved in PTAT folder. Does that recording in PTAT folder still stay there after 8 days, or moves into a permanent location in recording folder? No idea.
Now, I am not trying to split hair here, and your idea of not deleting it in PTAT is fine. Just a little confused, that's all. hopper 3 HD shows %70 full. So, I quit worrying about it. let me know what you think.
Cheers.
OK, maybe I am mistaken. Maybe I am watching the recording in the Recording folder before the 8th day auto deleting. I am running a PTAT test in my 2nd Hopper 3. Will let you know in a couple of days.

Alright. Sounds terrific. Look, this thread has been read so many times. It may help so many folks. Isn't that the whole purpose?:)

l

Any show saved from PTAT does NOT get split out of the PTAT folder file until the auto delete is done.
So, you are agreeing with me that a shortcut icon is created, and the saved recording moves from PTAT to Recording folder after auto delete.

Any show saved from PTAT does NOT get split out of the PTAT folder file until the auto delete is done.
Understand that. But the Opp is saying the PTAT program he has saved in the Recordings folder will not work if it has been deleted or the days run out in the PTAT folder. At least that is how I am hearing him.

Yes, exactly. I cannot watch saved recording (in Recordings folder) if I go to PTAT and delete it.
sktrus I just did a quick test on my 2nd H3. I saved a PTAT program to my Recordings folder, deleted the program in the PTAT folder, and then emptied the trash can. I went to the recording that I saved in my Recording folder and tried to play it. There was no play button, the same thing happening to you. However, if you press the play button on the remote control right after you select the program in the Recordings folder it works (see pic). This is similar to the issue we are having with the resume button missing while still recording a program that started happening after the last software update.. Try it out, let us know how goes it.

Attachments

• Status Bar.jpg
    Status Bar.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 84
I just tested this. I had ‘Friends’ in my PTAT folder. I saved it to the Recordings folder. I could play it from either folder. Then I deleted it from the PTAT folder. I went to the Recordings folder and tried playing the recording. It didn’t offer me the ability to play it, just record or look for other playings. So, bottom line, leave your PTAT recordings in that folder until they expire and you will have the ability to play them in either folder. As has been already noted if you want to get the PTAT recordings to expire before 8 days you can bring that down to as little as 2 days. My thinking is why bother just let it ride for the 8 days there is plenty of room on the HD.

I just tested this. I had ‘Friends’ in my PTAT folder. I saved it to the Recordings folder. I could play it from either folder. Then I deleted it from the PTAT folder. I went to the Recordings folder and tried playing the recording. It didn’t offer me the ability to play it, just record or look for other playings. So, bottom line, leave your PTAT recordings in that folder until they expire and you will have the ability to play them in either folder. As has been already noted if you want to get the PTAT recordings to expire before 8 days you can bring that down to as little as 2 days. My thinking is why bother just let it ride for the 8 days there is plenty of room on the HD.
Did you try playing the program from the status bar. See my post #15.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts