A Sad Story.. With a Happy Ending

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katrinasucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
Well the story starts sad enough. Down here in a Katrinaville (New Orleans) we have these monsterous debris trailers all over the place hauling storm debris. These things can haul as much as 2 or 3 dump trucks at a time.

Today while waiting for the wife to come out a store, I spotted a debris trailer FULL (and I do mean full) of satellite dishes... headed to the dump. All sorts of BUDS and VSAT dishes. I could CLEARLY see 2 solid 4 foot dishes with high stability Ku LNFs perched right on top.

I waved the guy down in traffic but there was no way for me to get any of them. He was stuck in a lane of traffic headed over a long bridge and he could not get out of it. They were gone... To the dump. I was almost ready to cry.

But I did think fast enough to ask where we was hauling them from. He didn't get me a real clear answer but I was able to put it together. It was a commercial satellite shop that had lost its roof and was clearing out the back yard to let the roofers in.

I drove home, got my van and headed over to the place before he could get back from the dump to make another load. Along the way I called Tron who I knew only lived about 8 miles away.

By the time I got there, the pickings were sorta slim. But buried behind about 5 other buds was a 6 foot solid aluminum broadcast dish. (The kind you see on the satellite trucks in the field.) It was a little dusty and had some vines growing on it, but it was in very good condition.

When Tron got there, he and I both had our eye on it... He wanted it more than I did but had no way to get it home. I had my van but I presently have more dishes than I have time to play with... So the next thing you know I had a 6 foot dish strapped to the top of my mini-van with the feed arm pointed straight up in the air as we headed for Tron's house. We looked like a red-neck broadcast truck.

The traffic to Tron's house was downright scary but we made it in one piece.

As we speak, Tron is the proud new owner of a 1 piece aluminum dish that somebody paid more for when it was new than I paid for my first car. In the next week or so he should be partaking of that C-Band FTA bliss.

I'm glad he'll put it to good use, but I told Tron he could never get rid of it without giving me a call first! (It's just the right size;-)

We couldn't save all the dishes but we managed to snag at least one good one and give it a new lease on life.

Last edited:
Thats good news

I was able to snag me a powder coated perfect 10' over the holidays
it is in alot better shape than my old 10' , I been waiting for the lady to make
Her mind up , to part with it, and she finally did.

Thanks everyone! :) Well, I just came in from the backyard (yes I know it's after 2:00 a.m. my time :D ) where I finally took the feed assembly off of this dish and found a place for it to rest. It's a 6 foot Andrew spun-aluminum prime focus dish, complete with the biggest Ku feedhorn I've ever seen and the classic flat white paint coat with the red Andrew lightning logo :) I googled the type # and found nothing, even checked the Andrew website and found nothing. I am sure the feedhorn is Ku, since the feed aperature is far too small to be C, and it appears to have a C-120 flange connection. The strange thing is that there's no way that a C-band feedhorn will fit with the four feed support struts, since they converge too close together for the diameter of a C-band scaler ring. There is a hole in the middle of the dish, and I suspect that this is for a button hook that would be used instead of the four struts in the event of a C-band installation.

The really sad part is that there were SO many dishes back there that we had to leave. I saw several other (older) 6' spun aluminum dishes, a newer Andrew 6' dish (unfortunately badly dinged) with a fitting for a buttonhook in the middle, and at least two ONE PIECE 8' mesh dishes! Unfortunately, the 8' mesh dishes had no hardware (support frames, feed assemblies, polar mounts, etc.), they were just the reflectors. I had never seen a large one-piece mesh dish before. One of them was solid in the center, and had smaller holes which got larger as you got away from the center toward the outside. There were tons of fiberglass VSAT dishes, including many Channel Masters, but they were not getting rid of them yet.

Hopefully, I will take and post some pics tomorrow :)

Cegarrett said:
Katrinasucks were you able to get anything useful for yourself?

Unfortunatly no. Other than Tron's dish, the only things I wanted went to the dump. :(

I am going to go back Monday or Tuesday and see if they will sell me some of the remaining stuff cheap. They had about a dozen 4 foot(ish) VSAT reflectors but they were in the "keep" pile.

It was worth the effort for that Andrew dish. From Tron's (further) inspection it looks like it will require some work for C-Band but it is a very cool dish.

>The strange thing is that there's no way that a C-band feedhorn will fit with the four feed support struts, since they converge too close together for the diameter of a C-band scaler ring.

I bet if you dig, that is the difference between using it for C and Ku. They just change the feed arms. I bet you could take electrical conduit and smash the ends flat to slip the bolts thru. C-Band conversion for 5 bucks.

After checking the Andrew site and looking at their current crop of similar dishes, I see that there is a different feed assembly part # for C and Ku. Most likely that's the reason for the hole in the middle. Probably a button hook would go there for C. I remember that the bent Andrew that was there had a button hook mount in the middle. Might be able to salvage that off if it's still there...

Buttonhook

Tron said:
After checking the Andrew site and looking at their current crop of similar dishes, I see that there is a different feed assembly part # for C and Ku. Most likely that's the reason for the hole in the middle. Probably a button hook would go there for C. I remember that the bent Andrew that was there had a button hook mount in the middle. Might be able to salvage that off if it's still there...

I always windered what that "extra" hole in the dish center was for with the Winegard 8ft dish w/ Buttonhook!
Jeff

Iceberg said:
I'd be driving there right now if I lived "only" an hour away :)

Wonder what my 4 door sedan would look like with a 6 footer on the top?

Hey Katrinasucks and Tron, if you see anything decent that you don't have room in yard for let me know, I'll figure out a way to get it from you guys. I've always been looking for something else to add to the farm.

digiblur said:
Hey Katrinasucks and Tron, if you see anything decent that you don't have room in yard for let me know, I'll figure out a way to get it from you guys. I've always been looking for something else to add to the farm.

What are you looking for?

I've been entertaining the thought of renting a U-haul truck for a day and saving what's left from the dump. Then, we could go through it later. The problem is that most of the nicer dishes there are missing the feed assemblies, so you'd have to figure out the focal point. Not too difficult, but then you'd have to fabricate something to hold the LNB in place.

Duct tape, stick, and a signal meter would get you real close.

Good luck.

Tron said:
I've been entertaining the thought of renting a U-haul truck for a day and saving what's left from the dump. Then, we could go through it later. The problem is that most of the nicer dishes there are missing the feed assemblies, so you'd have to figure out the focal point. Not too difficult, but then you'd have to fabricate something to hold the LNB in place.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)