a solution to the SV/Distants/DMA/LiL issues

RockinRight

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 30, 2006
Was brainstorming today at lunch.

The main reason D* and E* can't provide out of market network affiliates just anywhere they wish is to protect the advertising revenue of in-market stations. I don't have a problem with local stations wanting to remain profitable.

Why not allow some type of reimbursement to local stations?

It could work like this. The FCC takes average advertising revenue for each DMA and divides by number of households. If you live in said DMA and want stations from another DMA, you can get them, as long as you can recieve their spotbeam. You pay, through your D* or E* bill, a subsidy fee to the stations in the DMA that are potentially losing ad revenue because you're watching another city's stations. It can't actually be all that much money, probably a few bucks a month.

So if you are in a "border county" say in Alliance, Ohio, and you want Cleveland and Youngstown locals, you can get both, but pay Cleveland a subsidy fee for the fact that you'll watch Y-town at least some of the time. Perhaps it could be set up so that if you get your own DMA plus another, you pay a half-fee to your own DMA since you'll watch your own locals at least some of the time. Or opt to get another DMA altogether and pay the full fee to your "home" DMA.

Costs a bit of money, but it's a reasonable compromise, IMHO.

Just think how much fun it will be for the signal providers to have to negotiate contracts with all the local stations to be able to keep providing out of market feeds. E* is constantly fighting to sign contracts with the content providers just to keep what they now provide without adding in hundred(s) of local two bit stations that want a piece of the action.

Was brainstorming today at lunch.

The main reason D* and E* can't provide out of market network affiliates just anywhere they wish is to protect the advertising revenue of in-market stations. I don't have a problem with local stations wanting to remain profitable.

Why not allow some type of reimbursement to local stations?

You can go online and listen to out of market radio stations and read out of market newspapers for no charge, unfortuantely, the courts think that local TV stations are a protected class when it comes to out of market competition.

How long before networks start broadcasting their signal via the internet.. I know one station here broadcasts their news on the internet.. no commercials though, which I find kind of funny..

How long before networks start broadcasting their signal via the internet.. I know one station here broadcasts their news on the internet.. no commercials though, which I find kind of funny..

I'm sure it's the same reason why radio stations don't stream their commericals online...they'll have to pay extra to the unions representating commerical talent.

You can go online and listen to out of market radio stations and read out of market newspapers for no charge, unfortuantely, the courts think that local TV stations are a protected class when it comes to out of market competition.
There is seperate legislation providing for copyrights. Some stations actually terminated their feeds when teh legislation was passed because they said the rates were too high.
Also with Radio & Print, the content owners did not have the radio stations or newspapers sign exclusitivity clauses for certain areas. If they did, then they wouldn't be able to put the stuff on the web for all to see/hear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts