A suggestion to Dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bbtkd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 11, 2004
I am somewhat deaf in one ear, and sometimes I need to enable captioning, and others in the household don't need it. It is a royal pain to toggle captioning, when it really should be one or two keypresses. Dish - are you listening (probably not)? How about setting it up so that holding the mute button for two seconds or double clicking mute toggles captioning? This does not seem like it should be difficult. Also - when you take this action to toggle captioning it should not change the mute - leaving it in the state it was beforehand. :eureka

Anyone else agree?

+1, The hearing impaired community is often forgotten in matters like this. It is painfully complicated to turn the captions on and off with the current software and it should be improved.

I have the same problem. The receiver is hooked up to the tv with HDMI and the TV says that it can't do captions, I have to go through the receiver settings. I have a small workaround using my Harmony remote. I just set up a macro that presses all the buttons for me, but it still takes about 30 seconds to go through all the menus with it, but at least I don't have to hit the buttons.

This was a boneheaded move, that the current HDMI spec does not support closed-captioning in the video signal. So unless your BD/DVD player supports CC, and you are only using HDMI for your video signal to your nice HDTV, you are SOL. That was unpleasant to find out (my wife likes to use the CC so she doesn't have to turn the TV up so loud and/or rewind when she misses a bit of dialogue).

And yes, the CC on/off location is a hassle (I have a 722). As Mdvalenz recommends, I also have a multi-remote which allows you to program a series of keypresses into one macro key, so I only need to press one key to turn CC on/off. The whole macro takes about 5 seconds to execute. I am a nerd, so I don't terribly mind programming these things, but I imagine it would be much more of a pain for the non-techies. Good luck.

I think I am going to switch back to component cables for my 622. The signal quality will be the same for audio and video since I only need stereo audio going to my TV and it is only 720p. I have optical going to my audio receiver. It will let me use CC and frankly my TVs CC is way better than what the 622 does, and sometimes the 622 doesn't even show the captions on some channels.

Edit: So much for that idea. Even after I switched cables the TV still wouldn't allow captions. It worked great on the 522 receiver but it won't work on the 622. Does anyone know of any other setup settings I would need to change to get it working? Or if anyone else has the 622 and has the captions working did you do anything special for it?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts