Abbreviated Guide Info

Weezknight

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 10, 2006
Philly 'Burbs, PA
I'm really getting frustrated with the abbreviated guide info. I'm wondering if this is an E* problem or if this is the guide provider's problem (tribune, I think?). It is almost impossible to search for future recordings when the name of the movie/show has been drastically cut out.

It's also a pain to scroll through the guide and see "Harry Potter..." and wonder which of the 5 movies is showing. I've even seen it with shows that don't even have names that are that long.

Again, I'm not sure who is responsible for this, but it is really starting to aggravate me.

It would help if they would continue titles into the info section for longer titles. Maybe then they would not need to drop "the" from some so that similar films and parts of films show no difference or are sorted differently depending on what is dropped.
-Ken

Please complain about Guide abbreviations!

I know there was a thread about this somewhere, I just couldn't find it. Sorry.

Anyway, I sent an e-mail to Dish complaining about the programming guide abbreviations and this was the response:

Thank you for your email. I do apologize for the inconvenience related to the abbreviations in the Program Guide. I have filled out the Technical Problem Report Form to be sent to our Technical Department. I hope this issue will be taken into account, but I am not sure when or how it can be resolved. Most likely, it has greater chances to be resolved if the same problem is reported by larger number of our customers. In this case, I would like to advise to wait until further changes can be made.

Your business is greatly appreciated and we thank you for allowing us to be of assistance to you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please refer to www.dishnetwork.com or reply to this email.
Sincerely,
Tomasz D.
DISH Network eCare
Pine Brook

Apparently, if enough customers complain, they will do something, but not until then. I just thought i would share this with you all in hopes to make a change.

I believe there are far bigger fish to fry on Dish's part that this, sorry. I have no issues with the guide, rather than the fact that I am missing several HD stations on the TurboSilver than I'd like to be.

I think he means when you see:
Lord of the Rings...
And then you don't know which one. There are ways around this (select it and read the description for hints, like "second installment of this famous trilogy starring..."), but I agree that it is annoying.

I noticed this when some station had Star Wars movies on back to back. Each one said "Star Wars..." without the complete movie name. I had to read the description to try to decipher which one it was. Not as bad as getting colon cancer but kind of a pain...

I noticed this when some station had Star Wars movies on back to back. Each one said "Star Wars..." without the complete movie name. I had to read the description to try to decipher which one it was. Not as bad as getting colon cancer but kind of a pain...
Agreed.

"Tim & Eric's Awesome Show" now just says "Eric's Awesome Show". Oddly, this did NOT throw off my 622 timer...it records just fine still.

The other night, "Ladies & Gentlemen, The Fabulous Stains" was just called "Ladies & Gentlemen..." Not very helpful if you didn't know to look for it.

Accidentally watching Phantom Menace instead of The Empire Strikes Back would be worse than getting colon cancer.

The short program field has been a pet peeve of mine for ages. I don't recall seeing this on Directv years ago.

If they can't increase the field (they can), the very least they could do is leave an insignificant part of the title out so that we would at least know what the program is. " Harry Potter" could become "H Pot'r". "And" could become "&", etc., etc.

My favorite Dish title screwup was for "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", which became "Midnight in the Garden of Goo" on Dish...

dfergie: Does D* also use Tribune Media Services for guide data? I tend to blame Tribune before Dish.

Yeah, I don't think D* uses Tribune and I don't believe this is a fault of E*. I believe it is with Tribune. Try to find contact info on them, see if it'll take you anywhere. It just doesn't seem like such a big deal to me so I am not going to take the time. Good luck, guys!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)