About the Voom Channels, Seriously

He wants to have a discussion but only if you agree with him. If you don't agree with him, then your IQ is low. In the War Zone he said that if you have Directv then you are a man. How can someone have a discussion with you when you make comments like that.

He wants to have a discussion but only if you agree with him. If you don't agree with him, then your IQ is low. In the War Zone he said that if you have Directv then you are a man. How can someone have a discussion with you when you make comments like that.
Honestly comments made in the war zone should be considered a over hyped, exagerrated version of what someone thinks though shouldnt it? Wasnt that why it was created?

Honestly comments made in the war zone should be considered a over hyped, exagerrated version of what someone thinks though shouldnt it? Wasnt that why it was created?

I don't think so, specially since he keeps coming here to the Dish Network forum talking crap about the Voom channels. It's over and over again.

I don't think so, specially since he keeps coming here to the Dish Network forum talking crap about the Voom channels. It's over and over again.
I havent checked his comment history, but i honestly didnt see him bashing voom in this thread. I have seen it happen before in many threads, so i guess i can see why some would think it was being done here, but i doubt that was his intent, and i know it wasnt mine

Not a bash abainst voom. an honest question. One that no one seems to be able to answer without getting defensive, which in and of itself tells me volumes about what you think

There is no viable reason for asking about an SD version of the show except if you are trying to then prove based on an assumed conclusion that the channels would not even exist if it were not for HD.

This is a perfect example of the question, regardless of how "honestly" it was asked:

How many of you would drive Chevy pickups if they didn't have a bed?

There is no viable reason for asking about an SD version of the show except if you are trying to then prove based on an assumed conclusion that the channels would not even exist if it were not for HD.

This is a perfect example of the question, regardless of how "honestly" it was asked:

How many of you would drive Chevy pickups if they didn't have a bed?
On the chevy question....i actually have bought several without a bed to use a worktrucks for our company . lol they do sell them that way.

I guess we just disagree on the valididty of the question. Some people defend Voom with the same tenacity that others attack it, and personally I was wondering when the thread started if it was simply because it was extra HD or if the content was that good. After he started it, i agreed that it was as good a way of wording the question as any. Throw the HD part out and focus on the content

On the chevy question....i actually have bought several without a bed to use a worktrucks for our company . lol they do sell them that way.

Yes, I'm fully aware that they do and hence my point.

You are going to get two DISTINCT answers:
1. What, are you an idiot trying to make trouble? It's not a truck without a bed!!!
2. Yeah, we need them that way...

HOWEVER, you still ignored the FOCUS of the original HONEST question:

CHEVY truck

That's the problem here.
It's not about defending Voom or Pro-Voom versus Anti-Voom.

It's about people pretending to be honest when they throw out a lightning rod question with a very specific target and then get all upset about how the neanderthals are in an uproar over their "honest" question and how dare they question my motives or goals since they obviously just grew opposable thumbs last week and feel self-conscious about it.

If there is a viable question in this, it has been answered.

I will reiterate my view since I am posting:
1. All HD is welcome
2. More HD is wanted
3. No HD channel should be sacrificed to make room for other HD channels
4. The majority of subscribers don't have any HD and don't care
5. We HD subscribers are spoiled but pay for that privilege

Visual quality of the content, yes i agree. The ability of the content to hold your attention though i see as two totally different things. If a show sucks, it sucks IMO. It may be a better, prettier shade of suckiness(is that a word? lol) but it still generally wouldnt make me want to watch it anmore now that the WOW factor is not as strong when it comes to HD as itonce was

Let me phrase it another way. HD does not directly affect plot. It affects cinematography, which can change the way a director or producer or writer approaches a subject.

Let me phrase it another way. HD does not directly affect plot. It affects cinematography, which can change the way a director or producer or writer approaches a subject.
that i agree with, and was the whole basis of my question, and i believe the OP's. Is the plot on the Voom channels good enough to survive if hypothetically speaking they were in SD.

Wrong!! Never, ever have I bashed the voom channels. As a matter of fact, I think that if it wasn't for NFL ST and MLB EI I would have switched over to E* awhile back just for these channels. You are paranoid. I was merely tring to see if we as viewers were viewing channels because of capability and not so much for content. So lighten up on my reasoning for asking the question. I saw a comment in another thread from an E subscriber, I think it was sprintcarcrazy but I havent looked back so don't quote me that said that there was a channel on Voom that he turned to to show guests the amazing picture. Made me wonder if that is why people tuned into them and if they would see anything on them that they would watch even if it was in SD. How many time do I need to explain this. Beleive it or not. There is absolutely nothing in my history that would show otherwise and I would appreciate it if you would stop making others think so.

Yes, I'm fully aware that they do and hence my point.

You are going to get two DISTINCT answers:
1. What, are you an idiot trying to make trouble? It's not a truck without a bed!!!
2. Yeah, we need them that way...

HOWEVER, you still ignored the FOCUS of the original HONEST question:

CHEVY truck

That's the problem here.
It's not about defending Voom or Pro-Voom versus Anti-Voom.

It's about people pretending to be honest when they throw out a lightning rod question with a very specific target and then get all upset about how the neanderthals are in an uproar over their "honest" question and how dare they question my motives or goals since they obviously just grew opposable thumbs last week and feel self-conscious about it.

If there is a viable question in this, it has been answered.

I will reiterate my view since I am posting:
1. All HD is welcome
2. More HD is wanted
3. No HD channel should be sacrificed to make room for other HD channels
4. The majority of subscribers don't have any HD and don't care
5. We HD subscribers are spoiled but pay for that privilege
So he or I shouldnt ask the question since it might be a touchy subject to some? Its a discussion forum is it not? His intent i dont know, but mine was sincere. I just cant get some to think hypothetically and answer IF it were in SD would you watch it

I agree with your 5 views for the most part though:)

That was obviously in jest and about watching sports. Geeez.

Visual quality of the content, yes i agree. The ability of the content to hold your attention though i see as two totally different things. If a show sucks, it sucks IMO. It may be a better, prettier shade of suckiness(is that a word? lol)since it is in HD, but it still generally wouldnt make me want to watch it anymore now that the WOW factor is not as strong when it comes to HD as it once was

Now this is what i would call a viable discussion on HD...

Maybe if it is a human interest movie or what some call a chick flick you could maybe watch the SD version as easily as the HD version.

However, its not worth the time to watch most action movies or something like The Lord of The Rings or even Last of The Mohicans in SD on some little screen.

There are plenty of titles/shows that have very compelling content but to watch it in a chopped format without the benefit of its surround soundtrack and subsonics is a waste of time.

that i agree with, and was the whole basis of my question, and i believe the OP's. Is the plot on the Voom channels good enough to survive if hypothetically speaking they were in SD.

And, again, they were DESIGNED for HD (or movie theaters). Would I watch CBS if it was broadcast without sound? No. Does that mean I watch CBS simply for the sound? No. Am I just starved for programming with sound? No. The shows were designed for sound, so showing them without reduces the quality of the programming.

I only watch movies presented in OAR. This is not because the plots don't stand on their own. It is because they were designed to be seen in a certain way. The programs I watch on Voom are chosen over other HD programming on other HD channels. We are not starved for HD. I like Rave better than MHD, for example.

Now this is what i would call a viable discussion on HD...

Maybe if it is a human interest movie or what some call a chick flick you could maybe watch the SD version as easily as the HD version.

However, its not worth the time to watch most action movies or something like The Lord of The Rings or even Last of The Mohicans in SD on some little screen.

There are plenty of titles/shows that have very compelling content but to watch it in a chopped format without the benefit of its surround soundtrack and subsonics is a waste of time.

Thank you:)

And, again, they were DESIGNED for HD (or movie theaters). Would I watch CBS if it was broadcast without sound? No. Does that mean I watch CBS simply for the sound? No. Am I just starved for programming with sound? No. The shows were designed for sound, so showing them without reduces the quality of the programming.

I only watch movies presented in OAR. This is not because the plots don't stand on their own. It is because they were designed to be seen in a certain way. The programs I watch on Voom are chosen over other HD programming on other HD channels. We are not starved for HD. I like Rave better than MHD, for example.
Again, this is a hypothetical question on what you think of the content or plot of most of the Voom channels broadcast resolution aside, bringing up comparisons to CBS without sound isnt really an answer, its just dancing around the question IMHO.

Agreed. Maybe the way I see it is. There is a ballgame on that I am interested in. Yup, it is way better in HD, sound, picure, quality, wide, everything. If I can't get it in HD, guess what, I am ging to watch it anyway. Was wondering if this was the case with some Voom stuff.

So he or I shouldnt ask the question since it might be a touchy subject to some? Its a discussion forum is it not? His intent i dont know, but mine was sincere. I just cant get some to think hypothetically and answer IF it were in SD would you watch it

I agree with your 5 views for the most part though:)

Glad to hear you subscribe to the 5 TENETS of HD... :D:D:D

Touchy subjects will be discussed because that's what people want to discuss! If the responses indicate that you are not communicating your intent, get back in there and correct it. It's the OP's thread so the OP needs to get the discussion on track and keep it there. Insulting the responders is not going to help get what you want. The hard part is the OP keeping the conversation neutral and constantly directed in a non-confrontational manner, regardless of the responses.

Now about Voom channel content:
There are at least 1,000 channels of SD content world wide that broadcast similar content 24 hours a day and billions of people watch it in SD format, not caring that there might be an HD version somewhere or that HD as a technology even exists. So is the content compelling enough to watch in SD versus HD? Yes. For me? Very few channels anywhere are compelling enough for me to watch it in SD, especially in 5 minute segments.

Glad to hear you subscribe to the 5 TENETS of HD... :D:D:D

Touchy subjects will be discussed because that's what people want to discuss! If the responses indicate that you are not communicating your intent, get back in there and correct it. It's the OP's thread so the OP needs to get the discussion on track and keep it there. Insulting the responders is not going to help get what you want. The hard part is the OP keeping the conversation neutral and constantly directed in a non-confrontational manner, regardless of the responses.

Now about Voom channel content:
There are at least 1,000 channels of SD content world wide that broadcast similar content 24 hours a day and billions of people watch it in SD format, not caring that there might be an HD version somewhere or that HD as a technology even exists. So is the content compelling enough to watch in SD versus HD? Yes. For me? Very few channels anywhere are compelling enough for me to watch it in SD, especially in 5 minute segments.

Fair enough, and i can understand that.

Again, this is a hypothetical question on what you think of the content or plot of most of the Voom channels broadcast resolution aside, bringing up comparisons to CBS without sound isnt really an answer, its just dancing around the question IMHO.

It is not dancing around the issue. Removing HD from programming designed for HD fundamentally changes the programming. Would you watch programming designed for sound without sound? If not, does that mean the plot and content is not strong enough to stand on its own? Would you watch shows designed for color if it were presented without? If not, does that mean the plot and content is not strong enough to stand on its own? Would you watch programming designed for a wide screen in full screen? n? Would you watch shows designed for color if it were presented without? If not, does that mean the plot and content is not strong enough to stand on its own?

There is an interactive effect between content and presentation. Changing one changes the other. Showing Lord of the Rings in black and white, without sound, in full screen mode, with commercials, is showing it in a way that I will not watch. That says nothing at all about the quality of the content.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts