Accessing Account Information with 622

dweber

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jul 29, 2005
Plain City, OH
I have two 622 receivers and neither receiver is able to access my account information. Each receiver successfully dials out and connects but then is unable to access my account information. After several minutes, they receive an error message. I know both receivers are able to connect to DISH since I can order PPV movies through the receivers and they are successfully billed.

DISH technical support claims that there are no known issues with 622's accessing billing information. They wanted to send out an installer to check out my phone connections. I have searched the satelliteguys forums and found others that are having similar problems. My question is, "Has anyone successfully accessed their account through the customer service menu on the 622 receiver?"

Ethernet and phone line on vip receivers

I have two 622 receivers and neither receiver is able to access my account information. Each receiver successfully dials out and connects but then is unable to access my account information. After several minutes, they receive an error message. I know both receivers are able to connect to DISH since I can order PPV movies through the receivers and they are successfully billed.

Greetings.

Do you have your receiver connected to the Ethernet as well? I have a 722 and I have been successful in using the Customer Support application only if I physically disconnect the Ethernet plug, and reset the Broadband connection in System setup (Menu->6-1-9->Reset) so that it says "Not connected". At that point, the dialup functions seem to work. After I've finished with the cust support appl, I reconnect the Ethernet and go about my business. Thankfully, I only needed to do this once.

Hope this helps.

Ethernet and Phone Both Connected to 622's

Tedley444 said:
Do you have your receiver connected to the Ethernet as well? I have a 722 and I have been successful in using the Customer Support application only if I physically disconnect the Ethernet plug, and reset the Broadband connection in System setup (Menu->6-1-9->Reset) so that it says "Not connected". At that point, the dialup functions seem to work. After I've finished with the cust support appl, I reconnect the Ethernet and go about my business. Thankfully, I only needed to do this once.

I do have both ethernet and phone connected to each of my 622 receivers. Tonight, I will disconnect the ethernet, reset the broadband connection, and test the dialup customer support. I will report back the results. Thank you for your reply.

Ethernet Connection breaks DialUp Access

Tedley444 was correct. When 622 receivers are connected to both ethernet and dialup, the receiver is unable to correctly access the customer account information. I verified that on both of my 622 receivers. When I disconnect the broadband (ethernet) connection, the dialup access to my account works. When I reestablish the broadband (ethernet) connection the 622 receivers are unable to access my account information.

quote=kb7oeb
Do you have HD Absolute? I haven't been able to dial in recently and believe it to be related to the package becoming grandfathered.

I do not believe that the programming package would have any affect on connection problems. I subscribe to the Digital Home Advantage America's Everything Pak with locals and dish HD Ultimate.

I suspect that the DISH server gets confused when a dialup connection from the modem tries to connect while the ethernet MAC address of the identical box is already connected. The simplest solution would be for DISH to use the ethernet connection to access the customer data if it is present.

Wow, that is quite a bug. Maybe it was introduced as Dish tried to get access working over the Ethernet? I agree that it would be great to not have to have a phone line and Ethernet connected to use all the features.

I can no longer dial in, use the website or the phone system for changes since HD Absolute was grandfathered. Dialup won't finish connecting while the website only shows my bill.

I wonder if it's due to encryption issues?

I like dweber's theory. This was my first thought, as well:

"I suspect that the DISH server gets confused when a dialup connection from the modem tries to connect while the ethernet MAC address of the identical box is already connected. The simplest solution would be for DISH to use the ethernet connection to access the customer data if it is present."
--

I also wonder if it might be due to privacy and intrusion issues. The phone connection is pretty secure when using a landline. Maybe DISH worries that CC info and account numbers would be intercepted if the vip's Ethernet does not use SSL (and I'm betting it's unencrypted).

But, my first hunch is that the thing simply gets confused when it has both pipes connected.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)