Acquiring Satallite Signal every 5 min or so?!?!

2extreme

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Anyone else having this problem today? Just started watching tv at about 7:30pm and about every 5 minutes the program cuts out and says "acquiring satellite signal" for 119. It don't matter what channel I am on...This happens on all of them.

I am on hold with tech support right now...greater then 15 min wait time. I think they are having problems...

Any ideas? It is getting annoying

Probably a low-frequency barrel that was used in the line not rated for DPP. I assume you have a DPP44 switch since you have 4 orbital slots.

There are too many times when inadequate parts are used during installs. I am only guessing since it happens a lot. Or something amiss with the power inserter/switch.

If it was recently installed, give them a call and tell them the problems you are having. You only have 90 days, after that you are SOL.

If you want to troubleshoot the problem yourself, post your setup. What kind of LNB's, switches? How many receivers? What models? Post as much info as possible, so the good people in this forum can help you.

To answer your question, no everything is fine with 119. We haven't had any problems even tough is raining in the area.

RandallA said:
If it was recently installed, give them a call and tell them the problems you are having. You only have 90 days, after that you are SOL.

If you want to troubleshoot the problem yourself, post your setup. What kind of LNB's, switches? How many receivers? What models? Post as much info as possible, so the good people in this forum can help you.

To answer your question, no everything is fine with 119. We haven't had any problems even tough is raining in the area.

I did just that last night called the installer directly though they were closed so I left a message, hopefully they call me back today. Dish thinks that it may be a faulty switch or inserter (they told me to call my installer directly, get that one, I thought they could make a work order, oh well).

I have a DPP44 switch and a power inserter plugged in behind the 811 receiver. I have this switch because I have a superdish (3 sat) and a 61.5 dish. I only have 2 receivers, an 811 as I just said and a 510 dvr.

Now I basically get nothing, both receivers are signal of zero from any sat and transponder. Before it was intermittent at least and when it was on I had signal strengths way into the 100's. My dishes are secure, I checked that and all cables are in tact and power inserter is powered up. So unless anyone has some info on here, which would be great, I guess I am SOL until my installer calls me back.

Oh well, just guess I will be getting more credits on my bill this month :confused:

if both receivers are getting nothing then it would be the switch. the 4th port coming from the dish is recommended for the 121 slot. curious if the installer put 119 on it.

your check switch matrix in your check switch screen should read any combination for 119, 110 and 61.5 utilizing ports 1-3 with 121 taking the 4 slot.

Standard switch alignment is 1 2 3 4
119 110 61.5 121

If 121 is not showing on port 4. switch cables til' it is and then report response. If it is, switch some cables anyway in the switch to see if you get 119 working off one of the other ports. Say you switch 119 with 110, do check switch test, and now 119 is working and 110 isn't then you know what port is bad on the switch and the switch needs replaced. Always run a switch test after each time you reconfigure the switch.

I was installed on Friday and the day after the install started having the same problems. The 942 receiver keeps on saying it cannot see the 110 sat, yet the 811s have no problem. If I do get to the PG and if I move 1 hour, it states that it needs to download the program guide again. This can take a long time.

My install included two 500 dishes pointed at 110 and 119 and the second to 61.5. The installers included a DPP-44 switch.

ZandarKoad said:
Why would they install a DP44 switch with three birds? :confused:

The installer said that it was because I had the 942. I think he was going to use a 34 (?) but said it wouldn't work with the dual sat inputs on on the 942. He wanted to use the existing single RG-6 line that the Voom dish used instead of pulling another cable run. So there is only one RG-6 line running to the 942 but it is split.

Was this a correct install? I have been having problems with the 942 "seeing" the 110 sat yet the 2 811s don't have a problem. The 942 randomly will request a switch check.

2extreme,

You made the correct decision in calling. Let them deal with it. If it's a faulty switch, you want them to replace it. Those are pretty expensive switches.

In the meantime, you can try what "earthstation" said:

119 110 61.5 121

You could also disconnect the satellite feed at the receiver and run check switch. Connect the satellite feed back and run check switch again.

Mine acted up just as you mentioned all day Saturday and for a bit on Sunday morning. Now it works just fine. I had to do a reboot everytime I would turn the 522 DVR on...it would just sit there trying to acquire a signal.

I had that problem last night about that same time on my 501 (legacy equipment). I rebooted and the problem went away, but it could have been Dish fixing the problem and the reboot fix could have been a co-incident. Not sure how long the problem was present as I was out of the room part of the time.

same problem here. there was a hell of a storm outside though so i just assumed it was some nasty rain fade. my problem didn't start till sunday though. everything was fine saturday. all day sunday though was bad.

earth station said:
if both receivers are getting nothing then it would be the switch. the 4th port coming from the dish is recommended for the 121 slot. curious if the installer put 119 on it.

your check switch matrix in your check switch screen should read any combination for 119, 110 and 61.5 utilizing ports 1-3 with 121 taking the 4 slot.

119 110 61.5 121

If 121 is not showing on port 4. switch cables til' it is and then report response. If it is, switch some cables anyway in the switch to see if you get 119 working off one of the other ports. Say you switch 119 with 110, do check switch test, and now 119 is working and 110 isn't then you know what port is bad on the switch and the switch needs replaced. Always run a switch test after each time you reconfigure the switch.

Thank you for this, I will give this a try myself and if it works it works, either way I have a tech coming out tomorrow (tuesday pm) to check/fix it. So right now I have to tv to watch... :mad:

Right now the switch alignment according to my 811 is "119 121 110 COM" and my 510 is "119 121 110 61.5". I don't know what COM means but whatever. That is the combination it showed me when it was last checked at signal was good. I did another check switch on 811 and now it shows "x's" and don't even know what model the switch is.

This is exactly what my 510 shows

DPP44-500

1 2 3 4
119 121 110 61.5
ALL ALL ALL ALL
FEED FEED DUAL TWIN

AEI (yes aei installed so no bashing geesh) told me on the phone that they know it is the switch because she said that I had a SW44 switch. But I have a DPP44 switch. Whatever, as long as they replace it and it works and don't happen again I will be happy.

But I will try what you said also earth station. Thank you. I will let all you know how it goes with my attempt and theirs.

Have the tech move 121 from port 2 to port 4 as a precaution. it says recommended for FSS (which is 121) right on the damn switch @ port 4.

earth station said:
Have the tech move 121 from port 2 to port 4 as a precaution. it says recommended for FSS (which is 121) right on the damn switch @ port 4.

I was wondering what FSS meant...now I know. I actually did this before after your original post. Well, it didn't do anything. Did another check switch and it does 50 tests and then says no switch detected or something. I just dont get what happend. Power inserter is powered up and everything is connected right now and still nothing. How would the switch or inserter fry?

Oh well, they coming tomorrow...

Well just updating you all that care :) about what happened. I finally got this resolved today yes today, took them long enough. It turned out that the power inserter went bad. It was outputting power but not enough to power the 44 switch. Swaped inserters and back up voomin and ya other channels too :D Just hope I don't get the same problem in a few days again...Then I'll be mad :yes

No just have to call dish and demand a credit for loss of programming!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts