Activating 622

skyeblues

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
I have read where some indidivuals are activating their 622's before the installer comes. I am pretty much set up with the hardware. I have the 811 with the two 500 dishes and getting all 3 satellite signals (110/119 on one and 61.5 on the other) good and strong and subscribe to the HD VOOMpackages, and have added the silver pkg to my upgrade in getting the 622. It arrived a couple of weeks ago as did the empty box.

Now that the HD locals for Houston are coming in, I would like to go ahead and activate it myself rather than wait until Sunday for the guy to show or not show for scheduled install. Is there an easy way to do this? I have no problem hooking up the new receiver and read about the time it takes to download the software before calling for activation. So I'm fine with that part Are the people at DISH open to this or will I go through a pain in the butt and be sorry for the attempt to try to contact them and get it rolling myself?

I purchased my 622 and had absolutely no problems installing it myself (swapping-out the 811), D/Ling the SW and PG, and then activating it through the E* tech service folks. I did sense that there may be some issues if you're doing a Dish'n-it-Up package. Call E* tech service and ask, but you will want to have the new receiver in place with the D/Ls completed before you call. There was one potential issue reported by others, that you would lose the E* 90-day warranty on the "installation" if you didn't let the intaller get involved. That didn't apply in my case anyway. Good luck with it and report back...

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping I would get one before I head to work this a.m. I was thinking about trying it this evening when I get home, and will definitely come here to see if there are any other posts before proceeding. I'm anxious, but don't want to jeopardize any warranty. I am leasing mine. Have a great day!

I did the lease deal w/the $200 rebate. Had at 942 with 2 dishes (2nd at 61.5), so certainly didn't "need" any help installing the 622. But, I waited for my install date (couple weeks after getting the 622) - really was only waiting so that the kids & wife could finish watching the recorded programs on the 942. Waited patiently (...well, not that patiently) during my 12-5pm install "window". Already had the 622 in place & hooked up - but not powered yet.....

.....When the installer didn't show by 5pm, called to do the activation myself. Literally had to argue with the CSR & his "supervisor" for 20+ minutes to get them to activate it. They insisted that the installer had to show up for the Dish 1000 install (which I knew was B.S.). It got to the point that I threatened to drop Dish for Direct if they didn't do the activation. Painful....but got it activated & working.....so good luck with this.

(The Dish tech showed up at the house at 7pm - a little bit outside of their "window).

After four un-answered calls to the local installer High Power Tech to come and activate my second 622, I called Dish and the computer voice asked if I was calling about my service appointment. I entered that option and canceled the service call. I called back and a CSR activated it, no questions asked.

I ordered by leased 622 May 25. The basic order was clear and simple until I asked about having to wait until the May 27 install date when I already had a working HD setup with a 921 and a Dish 1000. I was told in no uncertain terms by the advanced tech and her supervisor that there was no way I could activate the 622 myself. The computer wouldn't allow an activation until the work order was closed. They said that if I cancelled the installation, the installer wouldn't get paid, the 200 rebate deal was off and I would have to return the 622. I don't recall the details but I do remember them talking about penalties and fees also being charged. They even told me that they were making note in my file that I intended to install and activate it myself and that they were going to track it. Talk about scare tactics. I just finished the order and hung up with the intention of playing it by ear.

I received my 622 May 2 and didn't want to wait until the May 27 install date. After downloading the software I called Dish and selected the activation option. After my previous ordering experience I was expecting a big battle. What a surprise! The guy who helped me had absolutely no problem activating my receiver once I told him I had a Dish 1000, was replacing a 921 and had been receiving HD on it for some time. In fact he was excited about the receiver and the fact that I was about to experience the best that Dish had to offer. He did a computer override and activated it. He explained that he closed the work order instead of cancelling it. He said this would insure the installer would get paid and that I would get the 90 day warrantee in case I needed installer assistance. It couldn't have been easier and more pleasant.

I don't understand the huge gap in csr knowledge, attitude and performance. It's totally inexcusable to put the customer through this. At the very least, they should be consistent. My advice: Don't even bother to discuss or argue with them. If they won't activate it, say thanks, hang up and try again.

Good luck. I hope you get the same guy I did.

Unplugged my 921. Plugged in 622. Let it DL software and reboot twice.

Screen said to call Dish to activate. Called and upgraded to AEP and Platinum pak. Done in 10 minutes.

Had to call back for a rehit on my rcvr to get the newer Voom-HD's.

Total time from UPS to watching HD.... 20 minutes max.

:up :up

Mark_AR said:
Unplugged my 921. Plugged in 622. Let it DL software and reboot twice.

Screen said to call Dish to activate. Called and upgraded to AEP and Platinum pak. Done in 10 minutes.

Had to call back for a rehit on my rcvr to get the newer Voom-HD's.

Total time from UPS to watching HD.... 20 minutes max.

:up :up

You bought the 622, right ?

Yes. I paid $499 from Dishstore.net

A lot of people have been scheduled through Dish and just cancel the install and activate it yourself.

The big concern for E* is making sure you have either 110/119 and 129 or 110/119 and 61.5 already.

You may have to call back a few times, but there are other threads on this forum that prove anyone can activate their rcvr without rolling an install truck.

Well...update. I plugged the new receiver in and it didn't pass the switch test. It seems in reading the install instructions I need a DPP LNB separator. I ran the switch test on my current 811 receiver and it shows I have DP-21 w/2 inputs: Port 1 DP Quad for 119/110 and Port 2 DP Single for 61.5. I guess I will need to wait for the install guy to come Sunday and hopefully will bring the DPP LNB that it appears I need for activation of my 622. Hope it is something they automatically carry with them.

They should have listed on the work order everything that's needed for your particular installation. I'm guessing that would be everything needed for your new equipment and programming minus what you already have. From what I've read in these threads, you can call in to E* and confirm what's on your work order. That way if you sense something is not correct you can work with them to get it corrected before the scheduled date, but be careful - some changes will cause them to move your date out. If you can find out who they placed the work order with, call them also to confirm date/time and equipment they'll be bringing. Since you're close to your scheduled date, you should do this soon...!

bryan92 said:
I tried to acitvate mine, but I have to have my superdish switched out for a 1000. :what Oh well, next week and I'll be up and runnin.

Did they say why ? Do you receive 129 ?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts