Added second dish to garage/bedroom Keeps deactivating cards

Status
Please reply by conversation.

barbiewoman

Original poster
May 1, 2012
Massachusetts
My mom cancelled her directv service and moved in with me. I currectly have directv and took her dish and mounted on garage(bedroom over garage) so I didn't have to run cables from my dish that is mounted on the other end on the house (100+feet). I connected a HD receiver that I currently pay for under my plan (recently upgraded to HD DVR) and have HD receiver left over that I still pay for (so that is not the issue) I connected that HD receiver to my mom's old dish it worked fine for about 12 Hours and then A meesage came on the screen saying it deactivated my receiver(card). WHY???? Is it illegal to have a second dish set up on my house(account)? I, then, reconnected her old receiver from her old residence (the one that was originally with her dish-they are supposed to be sending her an envelope to mail receiver card back BUT haven't yet so I still had it) and after about 12 hours it deactivated that card too. What do I need to do? HELP PLEASE!!

What type of dish to you use? what type of cards are in those old receivers? did you try going online to see if they are still listed on the account? and if so, try sending an auto re-authorization to them. have you called DirecTV to speak to an account rep?

DirecTV has no idea how many dishes you are using on your property to connect your receivers; so just moving an active unit to another dish will not de-authorize it.

The HD receiver I initially connected is a H20-100. I have a slimline and the second one is also a slimline. Both dishes are only a couple years old. The second receiver is just a standard one (again about 2 yrs old) I didn't expect the standard receiver to work because that is the one associated with the cancelled account....BUT I have been and continue to pay for the H20-100. I upgraded to the HD DVR a couple months ago and I was aware then that I would be needing it soon (once she moved in) so when the tech helped me activate the new DVR receiver I informed him to leave it activated because I would be re-connecting it soon. I thought that would simplify things. I will try to re-activate it online as you suggected later when I get home. I have not called DIRECTV because at the point they de-activated both boxes I was concerned I had done something wrong by putting up a second dish.

still not enough detail to work with, BUT

1. check your acct online see if those units are active
2. if so, try the SELF re-authorization online
3. If you have to end up talking to DirecTV, don't tell then anything about the 2nd dish setup; just that they are connected and you need them active and authorized.

I will do that when I get home (at work now). I just cannot understand WHY they would have deactivated my box when it has been on my account and paid for continuously. I thought they where sending a signal through her dish and it was because I wasn't supposed to set up that second dish on my house. Thanks for your help. I will let you know what happens.

well based on the limited info and not knowing exactly what was said or done between you, the installer/tech and the rep; it is possible there was a mis-communication and they deactivated those units. Once you get a look at your online account you will likely know real fast what you need to do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.