Adding a 311 to existing system

gwkiser

Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Currently I have 722 running in dual mode from a 1000.2 triple LNB antenna. I want to add a 311 to the system and don't know if I need to do anything beyond adding a splitter to the line coming in from the antenna.

From my location, I'm accessing sat 110, 119 ,and 129 for the programming. I called Dish CS to ask if I needed anything special to add the 311. They said that I might need a switch and that if I did, they would need to dispatch a tech for a $99 house call.

I thought I would ask you guys for your thoughts. I've run A/V wiring and coax in the attic and dropped lines before, so I'm pretty sure I can actually do the install of the switch if needed as long as I don't have to access the antenna itself which is mounted high on my chimney. Currently there is a single line running from the antenna into the attic where it is dropped to the 722. From the 722, the installer used an existing run back up to the attic to a splitter so that I could view TV2 in various rooms using the existing coax runs.

My assumption is that all I should have to do is install a splitter before the drop to the 722 and connect the existing coax going to the room I want to add the 311 in. Does this make sense to you guys? OTOH, if I need to add a switch, any suggestions as to which brand / model I should get? Should I be concerned with signal drop and if so what kind of amplifier would you recommend?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to read this and help me out.

Best regards,
GK

Sorry Satellite TV isn't like cable TV all a splitter would do for you is cause loss of signal. You need a new line from the dish to the 311. The switch should already be on the dish.

OK, thanks a lot for the clarification.

I have some RG6 double shielded (?) left over from another project, would that work for the run?

Thanks boba for the response and help.

GK

Yep, that would work. Just run it from either of the two open outputs on the lnb to the receiver. It would be best to connect it to the ground block if you can.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)