Adding a new room

icelectrican

Original poster
Jul 31, 2007
Hope this is the right place to ask this!

I have a guest bedroom where I would like to add a TV and get my dish channels. The guestroom has a coaxial wall jack and I used my toner and probe to verify that it is connected to the entire system, and it is. The house has four existing TV's, two of which have receivers, and the other two just plug into the wall and must use some sort of wireless setup. So my question is, how do I add a fifth TV in the guestroom and what equipment do I need? I tried taking one the existing receivers and installing it in the guestroom, just as it was setup in the other room, but it didnt work, so I must be missing something! I have absolutely no knowledge of this kind of stuff, so any help would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks, Nick

I have a guest bedroom where I would like to add a TV and get my dish channels. The guestroom has a coaxial wall jack and I used my toner and probe to verify that it is connected to the entire system, and it is.
Satellite TV is not a "whole house" proposition. Each receiver must have a direct line to a device that allows the receiver to choose from two or more different sources. To use five receivers, you need a switch (or combination of switches) that has at least five outputs.

When you order a new receiver, the installer will bring out an appropriate switch and hook it all up. All you have to do is show them where the cables home run to.

Satellite TV is not a "whole house" proposition. Each receiver must have a direct line to a device that allows the receiver to choose from two or more different sources. To use five receivers, you need a switch (or combination of switches) that has at least five outputs.

When you order a new receiver, the installer will bring out an appropriate switch and hook it all up. All you have to do is show them where the cables home run to.

Although limited to watching at most two different programs, some models of Dish receiver are designed for house distribution. For the ViP622, e.g, you can use the house distribution to practically any number of rooms, but you can only select to see what either TV1 or TV2 (dish outputs) are watching.

Thanks for your response!

Is there any way I can do this myself? My problem is that my house has dish TV and the nearest Dish installer is 350 miles away in a larger city. When, I first signed up with dish they sent me a big box full of equipment (receivers, satellites, etc). They said that the installer will come and install it, they even setup a date. Will long story short, the installer never showed. I called Dish and said their installer was a no-show and asked if anyone else was available. They said no, but they would put it through again. I told them I wasn’t going to wait another four months to have it installed, and asked if they wanted their equipment back, they said no (weird, huh?). At that point I called DirecTV and they came out with in a week and had me up and running. Up until a month ago, I was using DirecTV, but I recently switched to Dish after some local channel cuts. I did get the Dish installer out to the house, but it was a genuine pain in the rear, and I really would like to try and avoid doing it again, especially for something as small as one room. I still have that big box full of Dish equipment setting out in the garage, the Dish installer said it was outdated and supplied the equipment that was included in the service plan.

Thanks again for your help!

If you can get them to send you the necessary hardware and instructions, you can certainly do it yourself. You may be better off going the multi-TV route that tnsprin suggested (which must not be confused with distributing your satellite dish signal numerous ways).

If you have two rooms without receivers it sounds like you have two dual tuner receivers, maybe two 322's or a 625 and a 322. Do a search for diplexors and read up on how they work. Then find the spot (closet, basement, etc) where your lines come together. You should have two diplexors here. You can add a splitter to the UHF output of one of them and send the 'TV2' signal to multiple TV's. This will require two of your TV's to watch the same channel all the time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts