adding a reciever for vacation house

c_frank2

Original poster
Jan 3, 2010
Florida
Hi, I have just bought another house to use as a vacation house and was wondering if it was possible to use two receivers in two different locations? All my neighbors that have second houses like this just use one receiver and carry it back and forth with them, could i do this? Also, i did not bring the receiver with me so would it be possible to activate another one on the account to use while at the other house?

Thanks

All receivers must be at the same house at the same time or else DISH will call it stacking your account. That being said , You can have a separate vacation house account that you can activate and deactivate as needed . DISH will even install a second sat dish at the vacation house if you have a separate vacation receiver account.

Now if you don't want to go that route, you can install your own sat dish at the vacation house and take the receiver with you back and forth to your home and to your vacation house as needed. AS long as you don't leave it there all the time and you don't plug it into the phone line.

Be forewarned : THe audit nazis at DISH have a tendency to see it if it calls in from two different numbers and will call and ask you for all your receiver #s, smart card #s, and location ids -which change every few minutes. IF you can't tell them of each receivers information , they will kill all receivers on your account except for one. You will not be able to turn them back on either. This happens to people with more receivers than 3 or more on their accounts.

Would it be possible to have two separate receivers and have them de-activate the one not being used. Just to save the trouble of dragging it between houses? The second house i bought already has a dish 500 dish with the twin lnb.

I would haul the receiver with. If you keep adding and removing receivers DIsh will think something is up and also your bill will look like hell with the adds/removes

We've been hauling a receiver from the house to the cabin for 10+ years now

only if it was able to get an IP address from the neighbors network. The chances are pretty small. but that's an interesting concept...

What about just activating a new one under the same account that would stay at the second house? As long as both receivers were not being used at the same time what would be wrong with that?

Take the receiver back and forth.

The laws of physics say you can't be in 2 places at one time.

As soon as you figure out how to occupy time and space in 2 places at once you should get a 2nd receiver for the vacation home.

well since E dropped the phone line discount at least for single tuner receivers.......

they must know there will be more mucking around

Would it be possible to have two separate receivers and have them de-activate the one not being used. Just to save the trouble of dragging it between houses? The second house i bought already has a dish 500 dish with the twin lnb.

Yes, if you have two separate accounts . One would be your main account and the other would be your vacation account . You can ask DISH on what it is officially called and get them to help you establish it. Read my 1st post again.

Yes, if you have two separate accounts . One would be your main account and the other would be your vacation account . You can ask DISH on what it is officially called and get them to help you establish it. Read my 1st post again.

This option will invariably cost you more money and be only to the benefit of DISH.

Take the receiver back and forth. Simple. It's not illegal, it's not account stacking.

Read post #7 . He asked specifically if he could leave a receiver at his vacation home and one at his main home. This is the only way to do so legally and so the audit nazis don't come a calling.

I would haul one receiver back and forth. You will never get audited with one receiver.

Even with just two an audit may never happen.

But if it does, here's how it will go.

Dish will call you. They will ask you to push the system info button and read the numbers displayed on all the receivers on your account.

The location ID changes every ten minutes (at :10, :20, :30, ect.)

The location ID is a logarithm based on the receiver number and the Date/Time. They know what it's supposed to be. Unless you can crack the logarithm they use, you will not know what the location id should be.

They use amplified headsets to hear everything going on, ie; you using a cell phone to ask someone else the numbers, or texting the numbers ect. If they hear any funny business, you will fail.

If you're not home when they call, after a few attempts, they will shut off all but the main receiver on your account.

So let's say you use two receivers for your vacation home. There is a chance they will call when you're at the vacation home. After a few days of calling, if you don't answer, one receiver will be shut off. They'll leave a message say please call this number.

If you have the main receiver with you at the vacation home it will still work, but when you get back to your main house, that receiver will be shut off.

You will have to call to get which ever receiver is off turned back on. Just say you were out of town and now your tv doesn't work.

IMPORTANT:

You'll have to get both receivers up and running in one place at the same time BEFORE you call.

Then they will do their audit and you'll pass.

If they call and you answer when the receivers are in two different places, you're screwed.

Is it worth all this? Probably not. Just drag one receiver back and forth.

The chances you'll get audited are very, very small. As of Feb 1, they are no longer charging for not having a phone line connected so I imagine a lot of people won't use the phone line.

I personally don't think they will be doing as many audits. I haven't heard of people complaining on this board as much as they used to. Things have cooled down, I think.

Last edited:
What ARE you talking about - did you really mean dual output receivers. (there never has been such a thing for single tuner receivers...) :confused: :confused:

well there was at one point. discount for phone line connerction for single output receivers.

but i have had dual output for a long time.

i remember running phone lines for my legacy dishplayers

well there was at one point. discount for phone line connerction for single output receivers.

Well I was a DISH dealer since day 1, & I NEVER recall such a thing on any receivers. :confused:
I do remember the A/O's back then were ONLY $2, so there really wasn't any incentive anyway for a discount. They then went up to $4, then $5.
What you might be thinking of, is that E* actually PAID the dealers (WHAT a concept) a bonus for each phone install. If they got the receivers ping back thru the phone, you got paid the bonus. The sub didn't see any difference.
You probably ran lines f/DP's, because you had to have them to use WebTV service...

Last edited:
Motorhome travelers

How do the Motor home travelers do it if there driving across the country using Dish Network portables? Can't you just say you’re in a Motorhome?

They either have just one receiver on their account & take it all over, or just keep 1 extra receiver activated to take with them, & they don't make a big deal out of it by telling everyone about it on an internet board, & keep quiet about it. It is NOT as big of rocket science as some people make it to be - KISS! DISH does not need to know about all this jazz.
And as far as getting networks, they get AAD & then they don't have to worry about getting outside their local spot beams &/or constantly changing physical addys to get local nets:
https://www.mydistantnetworks.com/

Well I was a DISH dealer since day 1, & I NEVER recall such a thing on any receivers. :confused:
I do remember the A/O's back then were ONLY $2, so there really wasn't any incentive anyway for a discount. They then went up to $4, then $5.
What you might be thinking of, is that E* actually PAID the dealers (WHAT a concept) a bonus for each phone install. If they got the receivers ping back thru the phone, you got paid the bonus. The sub didn't see any difference.
You probably ran lines f/DP's, because you had to have them to use WebTV service...

I never used web tv, other than activating it a couple times so the receiver could download new software to run larger hard drives.

How wierd my memory fails again:(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts