adding another dish receiver.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

beastie333

Original poster
Oct 2, 2011
NH
Hi, my question is: How do i add another dish receiver. as of right now i only have one. its used on 2 tv's. one is hd , the other is on the 2nd channel and does not use hd. vhf i believe. I had gotten satellite a long time ago, and at the time i had to buy my receivers. i still have the newest of the old ones kicking around. its an HD receiver. i have looked at the wiring in my basement. whats confusing me is the splitter that says. in/out on a single port. and the other 2 ports opposite that say sat and uhf/vhf. im assuming the vhf cable is going to my second tv that is not hd and running on tv2. so my question is: can i split the main Sat feed before the before mentioned splitter, so that the old hd receiever doesnt interfere with the original setup?
thanks, Steve

Yes, you got the function of the diplexer right; it's for your TV2 backfeed. But you do NOT split the dish coax and feed it to multiple receivers. You need to run a coax all the way from your nearest switch or LNB assembly to each receiver.

I'm curious what receiver you have. What does MENU 6-1-3 say about your receiver and satellites that it can see?

Its a dish 811.i beleeve its only 5 years old or so.. i have others that are much older some with those dumb simcards. my other receiver is a vip722dvr.

If the 811 is your newest old receiver it is time to send them to an electronic recycler. The 811 no longer works as a HD receiver, it can only receive SD channels now so it is no better than the TV2 output of your 722. You will need at least a 211 to add HD to your second TV. Contact DISH to see what it will cost for them to upgrade you. A DIRT team member would be my suggestion PM one of them.

If you feel confident in running a coax (RG-6) from the dish to the new location (making sure to go through the ground block outside your home), I'd lease a ViP211 through a retailer. The ViP211 is the replacement for the 811.

DISH is going to demand that they install the receiver (which may be just the way you want it).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)