Adding OTA antenna to ViP 722k

Centex

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 20, 2006
Waco, TX
Hey guys, you all are super knowledgeable about this stuff and I hope you can help me out. I have recently upgraded to a ViP 722K receiver and it is awesome. We had a 625 prior to this one. There are 3 shows that we like on at the same time, and I am really getting tired of missing Fringe.

Anyway here is what I am considering doing. I am thinking of getting an OTA module for the 722k, and an antenna. I am considering doing an attic mount with an atenna from Radio Shack. Since the attic mount will be pretty much directly above my 722, I was thinking about dropping a single, separate run of RG6 to the receiver (the same hole in my wall that carries my speaker wire). That way I will not have to diplex into the cable that carries my satellite signal.

For reference my zip code is 76707, and my local stations are all withing 20 miles in the same general direction.

My questions are as follows:
1. Does what I am trying to do sound reasonable?
2. Can I use 2 OTA tuners with one antenna, or do I need 2 antennas?
3. Can OTA HD signals be utilized at TV2 or is it limited to TV1? I know the 722 Down converts HD recordings for TV2, but I am not sure about OTA stuff.
4. Is an attic mount sufficient for my needs?
5. Am I missing anything?
6. do I need to run Coax form teh Antenna to TV2? or will the existing feed from the 722 handle it?

1. Yes it does.
2. One antenna is fine.
3. All tuners on the 722k are HD-capable. I think you can view one of the OTA tuners in a 722k from TV2, but I'm not sure about that because I have a 722 not "k" and it won't let you. (Stupid missing feature IMHO.) Anyhow, all the outputs of TV2 are SD, so HD programs will be downconverted regardless of source.
4. For 20 mi range, very likely yes.
5. Won't touch that!
6. Depends on what you want to do. If your TV2 has an ATSC tuner, and you want to use it, then by all means run the antenna to your TV as well. This gives you the ability to watch any OTA channel independently of what your 722k is doing. It also allows you to watch OTA HD TV in HD on a HD TV2, if that's what you have. Passing the signal through the 722k and out the TV2 outputs will result in downconversion to SD.

Hey guys, you all are super knowledgeable about this stuff and I hope you can help me out. I have recently upgraded to a ViP 722K receiver and it is awesome. We had a 625 prior to this one. There are 3 shows that we like on at the same time, and I am really getting tired of missing Fringe.

Anyway here is what I am considering doing. I am thinking of getting an OTA module for the 722k, and an antenna. I am considering doing an attic mount with an atenna from Radio Shack. Since the attic mount will be pretty much directly above my 722, I was thinking about dropping a single, separate run of RG6 to the receiver (the same hole in my wall that carries my speaker wire). That way I will not have to diplex into the cable that carries my satellite signal.

For reference my zip code is 76707, and my local stations are all withing 20 miles in the same general direction.

My questions are as follows:
1. Does what I am trying to do sound reasonable?
2. Can I use 2 OTA tuners with one antenna, or do I need 2 antennas?
3. Can OTA HD signals be utilized at TV2 or is it limited to TV1? I know the 722 Down converts HD recordings for TV2, but I am not sure about OTA stuff.
4. Is an attic mount sufficient for my needs?
5. Am I missing anything?
6. do I need to run Coax form teh Antenna to TV2? or will the existing feed from the 722 handle it?

1. yes, I am currently doing this now
2. Yes you only need one antenna ( I am using a home made antenna search google. Only cost me about 3 bucks to make.
3. It will work on either tuner TV1 or TV2 but it will not work on both at the same time. If you are watching OTA on TV1 and you turn to an OTA on TV2 it will cut the signal to TV1. (From my experience anyway. If I am missing something will someone let me know) oh and that is without using the TV2 out on the OTA receiver.
4.Attic will be fine that is where I have mine. Go to here AntennaWeb to find out which way to point your antenna for best reception.
5. Not to my knowledge but I am new too and have only had this part setup for about a week. It works GREAT!
6. You do not need to run additional coax although I am not sure if it will hurt or what other advantage it would have if you did it.

Hope this helps.

1. Yes it does.
2. One antenna is fine.
3. All tuners on the 722k are HD-capable. I think you can view one of the OTA tuners in a 722k from TV2, but I'm not sure about that because I have a 722 not "k" and it won't let you. (Stupid missing feature IMHO.) Anyhow, all the outputs of TV2 are SD, so HD programs will be downconverted regardless of source.
4. For 20 mi range, very likely yes.
5. Won't touch that!
6. Depends on what you want to do. If your TV2 has an ATSC tuner, and you want to use it, then by all means run the antenna to your TV as well. This gives you the ability to watch any OTA channel independently of what your 722k is doing. It also allows you to watch OTA HD TV in HD on a HD TV2, if that's what you have. Passing the signal through the 722k and out the TV2 outputs will result in downconversion to SD.

Dang... I need to learn to type faster, LOL.... Nice job! :up

The previous posters answered all of your questions but you need to get the right antenna. According to TVFool, you need to receive both VHF and UHF signals. The homemade coat hanger antenna is great for UHF but not very good for VHF. Also, putting the antenna in the attic will cut down reception. I would suggest getting an antenna with a 40 to 50 mile range. Come to the OTA forum if you have any more questions.

I would advise to run a separate cable for the antenna in that there is some signal loss when combined with the Sat line. If it's a short run, probably won't matter too much, but over 50' I'd say yes, definitely. And if you ever want to split it to another TV, even more so.

According to TVFool.com, one antenna pointed at roughly 200* (S by SW) should do you wonders. You need an antenna that's designed for UHF and VHF-Hi frequencies (ch7-13 are VHF-Hi, your NBC 6.1 actually transmits on ch9), such as a Winegard HD-7010 or an Antennacraft HBU-22. An attic mount should be okay, but an outdoor mount would be better. You're not far enough away from the towers to require signal amplification if you're only feeding 2-3 tuners and using less than 50' of cable.

Well I put this up last night and it works like a champ. I get all my stations with a 90% or greater signal. I got an Antennacraft HBU-33, mounted it in my attic, and ran about 30' of RG6 to the receiver.

Since this antenna is in my attic, do I need to ground it? I didn't, but if I need to I will.

Thanks again for your help!

Well I put this up last night and it works like a champ. I get all my stations with a 90% or greater signal. I got an Antennacraft HBU-33, mounted it in my attic, and ran about 30' of RG6 to the receiver.

Since this antenna is in my attic, do I need to ground it? I didn't, but if I need to I will.

Thanks again for your help!

No need to ground.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)