Adding receiver to another Location (Lakehouse/Tailgate)

dlatin

Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
Adding receiver to another Location (Tailgate)

I was told although not technically in the rules, you can activate another receiver as long as you have a dish and the necessary equipment you could put the receiver at another location, i.e, football tailgate

I have an extra receiver. I'm guessing I would need:

Satellite Dish - (I have a directTV dish from the previous homeowener - will this work?)

Dual LNB - I can probably get this with a dish package on ebay

Swtich - I'm thinking a New SW-21X Dish Network Multi Switch Dish 500, sw21x from Ebay

Will this work? Right now I have a LARGE antanae that allows me to pick up OTA signals very clear but I figure if I can get Satellite for $5 or $10 I would do that.

Well, forgetting any Agreement/Legal obligations,

I'd get a dish 500 w/ a dish pro twin LNB, no need for the multiswitch, it has one built in (as long as your using a dish pro or dish pro plus receiver!)

Do that, and relpace the directv dish, as you would only be picking up one sat, the dish 500 can be had (w/ lnb's) for like $30 around here @ swap meets etc..

Hope that = somethin for ya!

Yes, thanks, I went ahead and ordered a dish500 and dp dual lnb off ebay. I guess I won't get the switch. I also read you need RG6 cable and not regular cable. and a compass :)

Yep, but the E* sats should be right where the D* dish is, so you *shouldnt* need a compass, but always good to have i suppose! Just what receiver are you using however?

The compass is actually for when I've got it out at the tailgate to point the dish. I'm either going to use a 301 or 510.

Ok good, just making sure its a dish pro receiver, wouldnt want you to get stuck w/ DP equipment w/ a legacy receiver!

dlatin said:
I went ahead and ordered a dish500 and dp dual lnb off ebay.
A DP Dual sees 1 orbital slot and has 2 outputs. The Dish 500 sees 2 orbital slots so would need 2 separate LNBs. If the seller is misidentifying a DP Twin (2 DP LNBs and switch in one assembly) you should be good to go, same with an original (legacy) Twin. What model is your extra receiver?

If your locals are on 110 or 119 they are likely on a spotbeam that may not reach the lakehouse. If they're on 105 or 121 you need a SuperDISH.

The D* dish you have can be used if it is an 18" 1-LNB version (but can't be used for 105 or 121). It will be easier to aim than a Dish500 which you will appreciate when you tune to a channel from the other satellite. Or you could just get the Dish500. The D* dishes with multiple LNBs and built-in switch can not be used with E*.

Thanks Boba

Here's the description from the the item I won on ebay. I misidentified the the LNB as a dual.

You are bidding on a USED Dish Network Dish500 Dish-Kit w/ Used DP TWIN. NEW Dish Network DISH 500 SATELLITE ANTENNA. DishPro 500 TWIN DIGITAL LNBF INCLUDED. Supports one or two satellite receivers. SW-21 switches are enclosed in the lnbf housing ~ weatherproof. Use to capture signals from both Dish Network satellites (119º w and 110º w) and feed DISH Network satellite receivers DishKit includes: Includes LNB "Y" yoke adapter, LNBF support arm, Dish reflector panel, mounting foot with attached mast stand pipe, and all hardware necessary for assembly.

I'm not too concerned about the locals, I'm not sure if they are on 110 or 119. When I'm tailgating it will be in Austin and when at the lakehouse I'm usually not watching tv :D

Thanks for the pointers! I hope I get it before next week so I can give it a try.

-D

Yeah, DP twin is what you need, the 2 orbital slots (110 and 119) where most of the programming is, so if there on 110, 119 or both you will get them (unless there on 105/121/61.5/148, but i dunno where your locals are!)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)