Adding Receiver

ThomasRz

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 5, 2006
Current Situation: Two dish setup (110/119) with appropriate switch to one old receiver.

Desired Situation: Two dish setup (110/119) to two old receivers.

Questions: What switch setup to accomplish? Is single Dish500 required? New LNBF's?

Current Situation: Two dish setup (110/119) with appropriate switch to one old receiver.
May we presume that you have two separate dish antennas with dual-output LNBs? If so, you need to run another pair of RG6 cables from the 2nd output of your LNBs to another switch.

If you absolutely positively cannot double up on your cables, then you could buy the more expensive Dish Pro LNBs and switches. But then you would likely need adapters to go between your old receivers and the "Pro" switches.

Desired Situation: Two dish setup (110/119) to two old receivers.

Questions: What switch setup to accomplish? Is single Dish500 required? New LNBF's?
Exactly what equipment do you currently have and what receiver do you want to add.:)

Exactly what equipment do you currently have and what receiver do you want to add.:)

CURRENT

18" (300) @110|------>SW------->[2700] ---->TV (living room)
18" (300) @119|------>21

DESIRED

18" (300) @110|------>SW------->[2700] ---->TV (living room)
18" (300) @119|------>??-------->[5000] ---->TV (bedroom)

I want to minimize new purchases and reconfiguration. It doesn't have to look pretty.

Congratulations! All your equipment is not DishPro. You will need at minimum another SW21 and 2 more cables from your LNBs. That's assuming they are DUAL LNBs...

Last edited:
Yep thats all you need another SW21 Switch, dual LNB's.

A suggestion, if you don't already have the old $2 protection plan invest in the DHPP protection at $4.99 those are getting to be really old receivers. In fact your 2700 should be a upgraded 2700/2800/3700 on the info screen.

Ok, what I was able to glean in between the jabs about my equipment :eek: is

110A
|
|
SW-21#1---------------->[2700]--->[TV1]
|
|
119A

110B
|
|
SW-21#2---------------->[5000]--->[TV2]
|
|
119B

110 LNBF output A to SW-21 #1 input1
119 LNBF output A to SW-21 #1 input2
SW-21 #1 output to 2700

110 LNBF output B to SW-21 #2 input1
119 LNBF output B to SW-21 #2 input2
SW-21 #2 output to 5000

Is it really that simple? Can I do this with just one SW-42?

Yes its really that simple. Yes you can do it with a SW42 switch.

I do have a question, if you don't mind sharing. Why the older equipment, not making a jab at it, but just wondering?

I do have a question, if you don't mind sharing. Why the older equipment, not making a jab at it, but just wondering?

I guess - why not? It works and has all the functionality I need. I have considered getting something newer but it appears that the UHF remote has gone the way of the dodo and I don't want to have to be LOS to change the channel. I have IR relays and all that but don't want to add more clutter. Perhaps after the digital transition is complete, especially if HD is more widespread, I will migrate. I also am banking on television sets coming with integrated tuners/CA cards for satellite reception. Actually I envision a modular arrangement where customers can buy/lease and swap out tuner modules for whatever service(s) is desired. Actually I don't see why a programmable universal tuner is not available. Once all that space on the mantle/wall unit is freed up, pictures of the family can use it. Thus integrated tuners will lead to greater domestic harmony and lower the divorce rate. At least that's my theory.:)

Thomas
I use to use a 5000 for along time. Seems like some of the older units work better (IMO) other than the guide and if it ain’t broke, no need to fix it.

But to answer the question (if it hasn’t) just duplicate what you currently have on the receiver

Dish300 at 110
Dish300 at 119
Feed one line from each dish to a SW21

Duplicate for other reciever

...it appears that the UHF remote has gone the way of the dodo...
Agree with your other points, but not this one. All of the dual-tuner receivers come with dual remotes, one of them UHF since it's meant to control the receiver from a remote location. And also (not sure about this) all of the PVRs come with UHF remotes. (My 501 does.) So UHF remotes are very much alive and well at Dish Network.

OK, now I'll turn the question around and answer the opposite. Reasons you might want to get a newer receiver include the nicer on-screen guide, PVR functionality, HD reception, dual-tuners, reduced antenna cabling needs (1 coax/satellite), and greater maximum cable length (now 200'). Or some combination of these improvements.

Let me add comments about just two of these features. The nicer on-screen guide includes a sort of picture-in-picture, with 1/4 of the screen showing live video from whatever channel you're on, while the rest shows the guide. This is also very handy for domestic harmony since you can look around for better programming while your spouse continues to view her stupid ;) home and garden show.

Also, (and correct me if I'm wrong about this), dual-tuner receivers incur only a single $5/month additional receiver fee. This would save you $5 over your current setup.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts