Adding Second Dish for 119

Status
Please reply by conversation.

creese

Original poster
Sep 11, 2006
I recently installed a Slimline 5LNB dish. I get great reception from all of the satellites except for the 119. There are trees blocking this satelllite that can't be cut. I am considering adding a second dish just for 119. Can I use my old round dish to do this. If so what would I need to wire into Zimwell WB68. I cureently have 4 cables running from dish to WB68. There are two additional inputs available but I believe these are for 72.5 for foreign channels. Thanks for your help.

I know this might be a pain but can you move your dish anywhere else free from the tree's to get a clear shot at 119 or are you totally surround by tree's?:confused:

creese, may i ask , are u a dtv installer ? u need a birdog to set up accuratly . u can't go by where the lnb's are aiming .they dont look straight up at sky . they go on angles . and installin a 2nd dish is stupid , sorry man . im a tech , and i've seen and heard alot of weird things . this makes top 10

creese, may i ask , are u a dtv installer ? u need a birdog to set up accuratly . u can't go by where the lnb's are aiming .they dont look straight up at sky . they go on angles . and installin a 2nd dish is stupid , sorry man . im a tech , and i've seen and heard alot of weird things . this makes top 10

1) You do not need a birddog to set up a 5 LNB dish accurately. You do need to have a basic understanding of where the sats are in the sky in relation to each other, be able to read a compass, and use a signal meter that will read 13/18V and 22Hz so that you can correctly peak the dish. I am also a tech and have set up about 75 HD systems without a birddog with no problems whatsoever.

2) The second dish idea may not work but it is not stupid. The guy was just asking a question to see what his options were. Before you start calling someone names here, please do us all a favor and run spell check. There are so many red squiggly lines in your post that I'm having problems reading it.

You can use multiple dishes to receive the different satellites. I am unable to use one dish to get the different signals from the 101, 119, and the 110, so we actually have to use three separate dishes. As long as you disconnect the correct cable from your switch, I don't really see why you wouldn't be able to do it. :) Also, the birdog, while handy, is not vital to aiming, the receiver's signal meter worked fine for our install, especially when the birdog wouldn't give us a reading on the 110, the receiver did, so in that instance, the birdog was useless to us. Good luck on your install!

I recently installed a Slimline 5LNB dish. I get great reception from all of the satellites except for the 119. There are trees blocking this satelllite that can't be cut. I am considering adding a second dish just for 119. Can I use my old round dish to do this. If so what would I need to wire into Zimwell WB68. I cureently have 4 cables running from dish to WB68. There are two additional inputs available but I believe these are for 72.5 for foreign channels. Thanks for your help.

I setup the Slimline without a meter. I used a SD receiver and that was it. I was having problems with 119 going in and out. The signal would jump from 40 to 90 so I figured there was a branch high up waving in and out. I'm surrounded by trees so I called a local pro. He worked his rear off but still couldn't get 119 well. I suggested we move it a few feet to the east and bingo. Good luck I'm sure you will get it right.

Easy to install

There is not all that mystery about installing a slimline. They make it sound difficult but it isn't. Your receiver will give you all the angles needed; azimuth, elevation and tilt. Set it as close as you can until you get a high reading on the 101 sat, then adjust the tilt until both the 101 and 119 are great. There might be some fine tuning after that but I did it without a meter, even though I had one. The signal strength meters on the receiver were more than sufficient. The installers want to make you think you can't live without them. Best part is I did the job when I wanted, where I wanted and did it neatly. Every installer that has done a similar job (cable, phone, internet) has been more interested in how quick the job could be done rather than aesthetics.

You cannot combine a slimline with another dish for 119 reception.

While technically it would be possible to do so right now, it would cause you problems in the long run. When the Slimline dish receives a 13/18v22khz tone signal it sends not only the 119 signal from the integrated multiswitch, but also the 250-750 and 1650-2150 ka band signals from the 103 sat.

Using a separate dish with external multiswitch to combine them would cause you to lose 103 completely. You would end up with a 2 dish setup that could see 99, 101, 110, and 119 only.

I can't imagine that you would want to sacrifice one sat for another. Even if you were to try using 2 slimlines for this task, one of them would need to be able to see both 103 and 119 simultaneously, which likely would still be difficult given your current situation.

Your best solution is simply to relocate the existing dish to a more suitable position.

I have reciently set up a AT-9 and am still having trouble with the 119 also.
I do not think there is ANYTHING in the LOS.
I've done plenty of other dishes and did not see it a worthwhile investment to purchase a birdog or Accutrac when I only set up a few a year.
Anyways, I have signals in the high 90's on the 101(96 at last check) and mid to high 80's on the 110, 70-80's on the 103, I don't think I have anything on the 99 although I doubt that I have any programming in my area. On my AT-9 I do have some readings on the 99. But I still have NOTHING on the 119.
I have tried the Tilt as I thought that , that was the problem area, no luck, also tried the AZ and El as well and no luck so far.
What is the chances that the 119 lnb would be bad ? Ialso tried swapping out the 2 coax connections from the new to the old style LNB's

Any advice at this point would be appreciated, As I mentioed, I tweaked the 101 originally and it is very good at about 96.

Jimbo

If you do have the AT-9, there is a decent possibility of the 119 LNB has gone bad, or there is a cable problem where the 119/110 connect to the 101/99/103 LNB. If you are using a multi-switch, it could be a bad connector on the 18V/22hz connector.

It's hard to tell for sure without getting more details about your system.

If you do have the AT-9, there is a decent possibility of the 119 LNB has gone bad, or there is a cable problem where the 119/110 connect to the 101/99/103 LNB. If you are using a multi-switch, it could be a bad connector on the 18V/22hz connector.

It's hard to tell for sure without getting more details about your system.

It IS the AT-9, I have not changed the coax connectors yet, but did swap the two with no difference.
It is the Cal Amp system, from what I 've read is the better one.
I am planning on taking my working one and swapping it with this one to see if it is a defective part or not.

Is it possible to get new lnb's anywhere ?
I cannot call D* on this one.

edit : well it's not the LNB , I have a feeling that a tree in the area may be slightly in the way, but never would have guessed it because it's really not in line with the dish at all... I am hoping that is the case ...

Jimbo

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)