adding storage room

What are the limits the for types of external hard discs and type of disc formatting that is compatible with the ViP series receivers? Will ViP receivers see NTFS formatted discs? Or must they strictly be FAT32 based?

I recently bought a 1TB capacity Western Digital MyBook drive (for only $116 at Sam's Club). The thing works great as a music jukebox attached to my Playstation 3. I have my entire CD collection backed up in full LPCM WAV format. The only drawback is the drive had to remain formatted in FAT32 to be seen by the PS3. MS Windows won't write files larger than 4GB to FAT32 based volumes. The PS3 won't recognize NTFS formatted discs.

Certain external hard drive brands, such as certain Western Digital MyBook drives, come pre-formatted in FAT32. Others may come pre-formatted in NTFS. AFAIK, Windows won't reformat a NTFS volume to FAT32 or will put severe limits on the partition size (nothing larger than 32GB?).

What are the limits the for types of external hard discs and type of disc formatting that is compatible with the ViP series receivers?

I recently bought a 1TB capacity Western Digital MyBook drive (for only $116 at Sam's Club). The thing works great as a music jukebox attached to my Playstation 3. I have my entire CD collection backed up in full LPCM WAV format. The only drawback is the drive had to remain formatted in FAT32 to be seen by the PS3. MS Windows won't write files larger than 4GB to FAT32 based volumes. The PS3 won't recognize NTFS formatted discs.

Will ViP receivers see NTFS formatted discs? Or must they strictly be FAT32 based?

Actually Dish recievers use a Linux file system. If you want to use it as a EHD you will loose all the information you have on there currently, and you will not be able to use it for anything else once attatched to the receiver.

External HDD will be formatted by the receiver wiping all data from the drive and putting Dish Networks proprietary (flavor of LINUX) on the drive.

Drives must be powered externally, i.e. no USB powered drives will work.

External drive units must contain only one physical hard drive.

I find the easiest way to add drives is to use the ThermalTake BlacX 2.5/3.5 SATA USB dock. It's about $35 and you just plug a SATA drive into the dock, power up the dock and connect it to the receiver's USB port and the receiver formats it.

To swap drives, just turn off the EHD and pop another drive in.

good idea, maybe I should buy another blacX and use all these 250GB drives I have laying around to put shows on, the DVR only holds 30 hours of HD

Exactly what I have, a stack of 250GB SATA drives.

If one fails - which it will - I don't lose all.

1TB drives - you are asking for DOOM!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)