Advanced: Model Number by R00?

Tekken

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 24, 2005
Hey guys,
I am building a program to keep track of receivers using visual basic.

Our inventory managment technique dates back to the stone age where we scribe the model numbers and R00/S00's we issue out on a slab of stone and stack them away :D

Actually we do have a serial number scanner and notepad on a computer we print out for each tech but im trying to make things a bit simpler on everyone and easier to manage.

Currently we have a card we scan if we are issuing a 322 receiver to a tech and it prints "DISH 322" in notepad and from there we scan the actual R00/S00 numbers off the box and it places them under the model number retrieved from the scan card that has nothing to do with the box or receiver itself IE: Note: not actual receiver numbers

[ISSUED]
DISH 322
R0067735224
S00566733389

What I want to know is their any way to determine what model a receiver is by the R00 number or S00 number like DISH does so we dont have to use a scan card and even type in the model number manually after visual confirmation?

If anyone knows the "rule set" on the format of the R00 or S00 numbers, please feel free to respond so I can put it in code so we can save our selves some time issuing this stuff out and keeping track of inventory

Arrg, I cant put my email address in forums yet ;/

I honestly dont know, but what would help is scanning all your inventory IN, w/ the specific box type etc.. then on scan out you can match the R00 #'s w/ the original ones and get the model # you first inputed!

I THINK dish does it like that as well, like a master DB, but Ive got no idea!

R00s and S00's are like your car's odometer. the number goes up with each rcvr built.

You're more likely to track model types via sereal number. These tend to follow a certain set of rules, but remember, every time that rcvr goes to Dish, it gets a new serial number.. and it looks as though production times determine the serial number...

The bottom line is that it doesn't look like you can track the type by any of the info Dish gives you. We've got a pretty expensive scanner (about $1000) but it does everything we need it to and is pretty versitile. We scan everything into a running Excel file.

It's possession based, since the rcvr has to be somewhere at any time. When a shipment comes in we scan everything to the warehouse, and we input model numbers next to the rcvrs then. From there we can assign a rcvr to a tech, and then from a tech to a job. We track by Serial number, because if it comes back as a reman, it might have the same number and mess up the databases.

Worth Data check them out.

Yea, Thats what I figured, R00 numbers increment as they are made so theirs no true way of determining a model type by the R00 number but it seemed to me if that was the case, a 322 and 625 could have the same R00 number and conflict with one another within the database Im building where all the information for our receivers is stored so I guess I have no choice but to manually flag the model number associated with their R00/S00 numbers to avoid conflict :no Humm Oh well, I was just trying to find a way around having to scan the model type off a card and R00 number off the box so I could knock two birds out with one stone... Guess I'll be making an automated inventory manager that requires visual confirmation on the model number of each receiver :rolleyes:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)