Advice needed on buying my own Joeys

pmjones

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 7, 2022
Seattle
Hello All,

Since Dish can’t seem to fix the 4.0 issues, I’m thinking of buying a few Joey 2.0s as an interim deal until my leased 4.0s get a suitable software update.

Question - can I simply set the 4.0s aside and hook up and activate a few purchased 2.0s? Will Dish charge me anything to do this?

I’m considering buying used 2.0s as it would be less than a tech visit and I do eventually want the 4.0s when this all gets fixed (fingers crossed).

2's are slower than 3's, and they'll cost you as much as the 4's IIRC. As long as you leave the 4's on your account, you'll be paying for them as well.

Reactions: charlesrshell
Would Dish charge me for both the 4s I’m not using as well as the 2s I bought myself and would hook up?

Yes, unless you deactivate the 4's.
and if you don't actually own those Joey 4s, Dish will require you to send them back when you deactivate them. Mind you if you paid Dish $50 for each of them that doesn't necissarily mean you own them. That is just a premium charge for them. If you purchased them outside of Dish you probably own them.

Hello All,

Since Dish can’t seem to fix the 4.0 issues, I’m thinking of buying a few Joey 2.0s as an interim deal until my leased 4.0s get a suitable software update.

Question - can I simply set the 4.0s aside and hook up and activate a few purchased 2.0s? Will Dish charge me anything to do this?

I’m considering buying used 2.0s as it would be less than a tech visit and I do eventually want the 4.0s when this all gets fixed (fingers crossed).
First, you'd be a fool to buy 2's instead of 3's. That would be like buying a rotary dial phone.

First, you'd be a fool to buy 2's instead of 3's. That would be like buying a rotary dial phone.
Hmm, ok. But the 2.0s are about 25 bucks and the 3.0s are considerably more. Maybe a better strategy would be for Dish to swap out my 4.0s for 3.0s (for FREE) as this Hopper plus deal has been a debacle.

Hmm, ok. But the 2.0s are about 25 bucks and the 3.0s are considerably more. Maybe a better strategy would be for Dish to swap out my 4.0s for 3.0s (for FREE) as this Hopper plus deal has been a debacle.
The 2.0's are garbage. That's why they're cheaper. You get what you pay for. You don't need the Plus for the 4's to work as normal Joeys

Hello All,

Where are the used Joeys coming from? Are they on eBay? Are they Dish owned receivers?

and if you don't actually own those Joey 4s, Dish will require you to send them back when you deactivate them. Mind you if you paid Dish $50 for each of them that doesn't necissarily mean you own them. That is just a premium charge for them. If you purchased them outside of Dish you probably own them.
Can't agree more! Many years ago they had somehow made a purchased receiver of mine leased. So double check all your equipment frequently.