Advice please: wait for "dealer" to resolve or contact Directv myself ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

kalew01

Original poster
Jul 15, 2010
USA
Hi, here's hoping I can get some advice regarding my super-messed-up-newly-installed-directv-account.

I'll try to be as brief as possible but I have two issues, the first not quite as important as the second.

Details: I had Directv installed April 10, 2019. I used a 'dealer / installation' company to do the install, whom I've used every 2-3 years in the past (I switch between Dish and Direct often). Via the dealer, I signed up for Direct's Select package with a Genie for $42.00 per month for 24 months (versus Direct's deal of $42.00 /month for 1 year). Paperless billing and autopay.

Install went fine. No problems watching TV.

Issue #1: I cannot access my online account; somehow a dummy email has been associated with my account - which I, nor anyone, has access to (because it's a face email). I strongly suspect this was done by the dealer because when I went to create an online account with Direct, through ATT.com, I received an error message that my login info. was sent to that dummy email address.

I cannot change any login info, however, my dealer was able to get my correct email associated with my Directv account. So, I get emails from Directv, cool, BUT I still cannot login to my online account because it's still telling me access ID and password have already been set up and sent to the dummy email.

So, that's the first issue. It bothers me that I can't see my account information but I can live with that.

BUT...

...Directv cannot get my package and billing right. At least that's what it looks like according to the autopay charge to my credit card.

Which brings me to the second issue.

Issue #2: When activated on April 10, 2019, Directv gave me the Select package but charged me for the Choice package. I DO have a copy of the signed contract stating I purchased the Select package at $42.00 for 24 months. I believe my dealer was finally able to get the package corrected two weeks ago but now the billing is all messed up. The charge to my credit card is over 3 times the amount it should be !

Because this issue is messing with my credit card, I'm losing patience with my so-called dealer. Which he knows...at least I've told him that.

My dealer has not been the most receptive guy, claiming to be out of the office, ATT's system is all screwed-up, it takes them 7-10 business days to resolve a billing problem, the deals are not going through right away, bla bla bla...

I am considering contacting ATT/Direct myself but I'm afraid I'll loose the deals my dealer is offering.

So, now that you all know my dilemma, what would you do ? What do you suggest I do ? I put in another call the my dealer yesterday afternoon and I'm about to call him again. He usually gets back with me after the second call...what a nice guy (sarcasm).

Thanks for any advice anyone can offer.

First post in NINE YEARS???? :)
:welcome to Satelliteguys!
Seems to me you have to call Directv/ATT yourself. You have a contract, make them abide it.

#1 First of all there is no 2 year deal or 2 year price lock on the select package.

There is no way a dealer would ever offer you a “better” package than you could get by going through Directv directly.

It’s the same deal and same pricing if you go through a dealer or through Directv.

If anything Directv could offer a better deal than the retailer, but its NEVER the other way around. Believe me when I say this, your dealer lied to you.

#2 The dealer has no incentive or reason to use a dummy email to create your online account.

The only time this is ever done is if your order required some type of online redemption to get a promotional offer.

Many times a dealer will register an account for the customer to process a rebate request, because we know customers will never do it themselves, will then complain they aren’t getting what they where promised and cancel over something they didn’t do.

When customers cancel, dealers get charged back. So many times the dealer will hold the customers hand and do many things for them to keep the customer happy.

As far as I was aware when you signed up, there would be no redemption required to get a promotional rebate, which required a dealer to setup your account online.

I know there was a few $100 rebates that the dealer could select that required a redemption online, but that I believe was a separate site and AT&T was mailing redemption instructions via regular mail to the customers.

#3 Ask the dealer to see a copy of the order summery. We usually keep the confirmation page for our records so we can prove we setup the account to get paid. This will tell if the dealer signed you up for select or choice.

If the dealer shows he set you up for select, this is not his fault.

I have a feeling he will not show it to you because it will show the price being good for only 12 months.

#4 As far as the dealer not returning your calls. He is getting your messages. Trust me.

It’s a royal pain to get AT&T/Directv to fix any sort of billing issue WITHOUT the customer being present on the phone.

It can’t be done in the back office, it can’t be done calling retail services.

The only way it can be done is by him calling 800-Directv and pretending he is you.

To fix billing for a customers account, the right way to do it is an hour long 3 way call. They will make sure they are speaking with you, and may even tell the dealer he can’t be on the line while they discuss the account with you.

Sad but true. Can’t say how many times when we screwed up I just wrote the customer a check for the difference to wash my hands of it.

When I wasn’t at fault, I would have the customer deal with customer service and not get involved. The amount of time and unprofessional behavior required to change a promotion after the fact is simply not worth my time.

#5 My advice is you need to verify your 2 year pricing with Directv NOW.

You need to get all your documentation together showing the price is for 2 years and if I am correct the pricing is good for 1 year you need to go back to your dealer and he needs to make good on his word and cut you a check for the second year pricing.

If he refuses to do anything, you need to escalate it with Directv.

The dealer is on a 6 month chargeback period. After 6 months he won’t do anything and will tell you to deal with Directv.

Directv has a one-year price lock with a two-year contract. Period.

Dish has a two-year price lock with a two-year contract.

If the dealer promised you in writing that DTV would be $42 for two years, you can take him to Small Claims Court.

Directv has a one-year price lock with a two-year contract. Period.

Dish has a two-year price lock with a two-year contract.

If the dealer promised you in writing that DTV would be $42 for two years, you can take him to Small Claims Court.
Things must have changed. I got a two-year price lock in 2017. Current billing statement below:

Current Charges
$156.48
ULTIMATE (all included) 05/05 - 06/04
$149.00
Monthly
MOVIES EXTRA PACK 05/05 - 06/04
$4.99
Monthly
Federal Cost Recovery Charge 05/05
$0.69
Regional Sports Fee 05/06
$1.80
Adjustments & Credits
-$74.00
-$59.00
$59 for 24 months w/ATT bundle
Price Guarantee Ends: 05/2019 05/05
-$15.00

Sounds lime a scam just like those that were selling boxes which had Dish Networks channels for a pennies on the dollar. See todays news a second reseller just lost a court case and now has to pay $200 million to dish
What they do is sign you up and run.

Things must have changed. I got a two-year price lock in 2017. Current billing statement below:

Current Charges
$156.48
$149.00
Monthly
MOVIES EXTRA PACK 05/05 - 06/04
$4.99
Monthly
Federal Cost Recovery Charge 05/05
$0.69
Regional Sports Fee 05/06
$1.80
Adjustments & Credits
-$74.00
-$59.00
$59 for 24 months w/ATT bundle
Price Guarantee Ends: 05/2019 05/05
-$15.00

Yes in 2017 they had a 2 year price lock if you purchased any other AT&T product and service.

I just signed up as a new customer via retention dept
They said one year price lock with free hbo for a year plus nfl package and $60 off a month. Plus $300 visa.
Then normal prices for second year

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Somehow they knew I had Dish so they sent via US mail the offer to switch.
It is a targeted offer, not everyone can get it.

Somehow they knew I had Dish so they sent via US mail the offer to switch.
It is a targeted offer, not everyone can get it.

AT&T likely does audits like Comcast does.

They send out a tech to look over their lines and the tech notes which cable company you possibly have and if there is a dish on your house.

I drive around looking for businesses with dish network so I can mail them an offer to switch up Directv.

It’s really not hard to tell if someone has satellite or cable. AT&T is the hardest one to figure out because the lines are never left disconnected

They send out a tech to look over their lines and the tech notes which cable company you possibly have and if there is a dish on your house.

I drive around looking for businesses with dish network so I can mail them an offer to switch up Directv.

It’s really not hard to tell if someone has satellite or cable. AT&T is the hardest one to figure out because the lines are never left disconnected

Businesses have Dish Network?

Just because you have a dish on your house does NOT mean you have Dish or D* ....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts