Advice- Prepare for the breakdown

Your not placing anything on top of the unit are you?
or
Placing it on top of a receiver?

A friend of mine was having similar problems with his 722. He went thru 3 units and it was a heat issue.
The first two died because he place it on top of a 500 watt receiver, all the heat from the receiver rose up and overheated the units.
His last one was because he placed the receiver on top of the 722. This time it didn't have enough circulation to cool itself.
Eventually it was solved by placing the unit alone next to his other components.
The 622's and 722's do not take heat very well at all. I went so far as to install a small computer fan on the back of mine just to give it more cooling. The cooling fan on most units only kick on when the unit hits a certain degree. Unfortunately, one of the first things to malfunction when a unit overheats is the temperature sensor.
Really bad design.

I am SO into backups i still have 2 seperate 500 dishes feeding 2 different systems. primary with dish pro 3 to 4 switches.

backup a pre wired 500 quad. wired all thru house

this after the christmas with houseguests coming found me replacing a connector on the dish in a blizzard:(:( fortunately dish on my deck no climbing needed. it was a howling storm and 15 degrees.

also had my entire system blink off and on one nite that happened to be first day of new tv season:(

that spring some 10 years ago I rebuilt everything with 2 seperate systems in case of failure.

as you can probably guess, I have never needed to use the backup, but have tested it a few times.

If Spartanburg SC would do their job properly...
They're no doubt doing exactly what they're instructed to do. Don't blame them...
...maybe I would get a truly refurbished 622 rather than one that was just dusted off and sent back out guaranteed to fail in 1 hour to 2 months.
Refurbished means nothing more than replace the HDD (when it's RMA for HDD issues) and clean them up. They do no repairs whatsoever (I'm sure). If it is RMA'd for something else, the HDD is simply formatted and re-loaded.

Fact is, Dish revises their hardware over time because they discover problems (internally). If the last 622 rev is "G", they shouldn't be refurbing rev "A" through "F" units and sending them back out knowing there are problems, but they do and will continue to do so.

Here we go again! Damn it!

I was watching VIP 622 #4 and it just quit. No lights nothing. Dead silent. Like a fuse blew.

So I call the tech support group who are responsible for getting another used 622 sent to me. The call went fine at first but the tech didn't seem to be listening. He'd ask a question I would answer it and a few minutes later he began to repeat the questions over again. After several go arounds like this, and hearing laughter in the background, I began to really get irritated. Especially when he said they were going to charge me $75 for shipping. So we got that straightened out and he acted like the shipping was coming out of his pocket. Who trains these techs these days. It keeps getting worse. Years ago when I would reach a tech support center I felt like I was talking to a real technician. My recent experiences seem like these guys were hamburger flippers yesterday and today, Dish Tech support. He did apologize for the other techs laughing in the background at least. When he did, the laughter suddenly stopped.

If Spartanburg SC would do their job properly maybe I would get a truly refurbished 622 rather than one that was just dusted off and sent back out guaranteed to fail in 1 hour to 2 months.

e mail CEO get now free 722K upgrade, leaving opportunity for 922 upgrade when its finally out and stable. should be 2012:(

I do have the 622 on it's own shelf in an enclosed cabinet on all sides except the back. On the back is a dedicated 3" fan that runs continuously at a slightly reduced speed for noise so the temperature in that shelf space with DVR runs a cool 78 degrees! I have these fans on each shelf and have two on the shelf with the PS3. I'm sure heat is not the problem.

Hall- Yes, no doubt the techs are doing what they are instructed to do, but I'm sure those instructions are not designed to resolve these issues even though these issues are what the end purpose of the facility is for. Thanks for the REV info. I should check the one I have now to see what it is.

I believe that the refurb process is going to have a large number of returns that are perfectly OK when CHURN is high due to cancellation because of service, not equipment. When the refurbs are going out mostly bad as in my track record, I must be getting the bottom of the stack of those boxes that have cycled through several customers and are in the refurb loop for good reason!

Maybe they are laughing at the amount of 622s you have had gone bad. I still have the original 622 that I bought when they first came out for my parents.

Yep! my first one a new one, worked for quite a few years. I got it right after they came out. I had the 921 before.

The burst of laughter from several of others in the background came right after the guy asked me the same question for the 4th time and I politlely and calmly said, "I'm not sure you are understanding me when I said the 622 just stopped working, no lights, no sound of the hard drive, nothing. That means it's DEAD! I'll spell it in case you don't understand. D E A D Dead! Now repeat it back to me so I know you heard me this time. There was some silence when the laughter dies down and I said ...and furthermore, I don't consider it funny. All I want is equipment that works. Is that too much to ask? He apologized for the laughter and made some excuse that they were having a party. I said well go have your party after your work shift is over.

One more thing- If ever Dish Network really pisses me off, I have every phone call recorded. My new touch Pro 2 has this feature that I can turn on and record my conversation, so when these CSR groups announce that the call may be recorded for training purposes, I just respond with ditto, plus for a permanent record of the call.

Why don't you see if they can send you a 722 or 722k as a replacement since you have had bad luck with the 622?

I had on my account a 622 that went bad due to the hdmi cable port breaking. So I called for a replacement receiver. ( I own all my receivers) The guy at the time thought I was talking about my 722 on my account needing replacing. I said no the 622 and we finished the rma . About 5 days later I got a 722 instead of the 622. I called and argued with the csr about the wrong receiver and he finally said will just activate the 722 in place of the bad 622. So I got a upgrade due to the csr screwup. I have since traded both of my 722s and 622 receiver in to an online retailer and got the 722k. But you might try and see if they will give you something newer than a replacement 622. Never hurts to ask retention department.

Mike- I already mentioned I made that request when I had all those go bad in a week and again this time. No go. They claim they can't do that as my 622 is on lease and they have plenty of broken :) ( I meant refurbished) 622's to send out. The serial numbers have to match up so I doubt I could fake a service call in on my 722 and then return the bad 622 for credit. Sounds like a plan but I doubt it would work. I'm never lucky that way.

Make them send tech out. The ones they send out are junk! I can almost guarantee you'll get a 722k for no hassle that way (because we rairly carry 622s on our trucks), and you won't jeopardize your upgrade eligibility on the 922.

Mike- I already mentioned I made that request when I had all those go bad in a week and again this time. No go. They claim they can't do that as my 622 is on lease and they have plenty of broken :) ( I meant refurbished) 622's to send out. The serial numbers have to match up so I doubt I could fake a service call in on my 722 and then return the bad 622 for credit. Sounds like a plan but I doubt it would work. I'm never lucky that way.

They'll do it. All it takes is coin of the realm. Somewhere between $50 and $150, I'll bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)